Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Jameson Irish Whiskey Caskmates

1,038 Views | 0 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by GarlandAg2012
Txmoe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Last time I was at the liquor store, I noticed that Jameson released two "caskmates" flavors of their original Irish whiskey--Stout and IPA. Apparently these are whiskeys that were finished in barrels that previously finished beers, and before that, finished whiskeys (Inception time!). I like stout beer so I picked up that flavor.

I have to admit that I didn't love the stout whiskey upon first taste. It was definitely smoother and had a creamier mouth feel than regular Jameson's but it didn't taste like whiskey to me. It wasn't bad, I just prefer regular Jameson's.

I decided to try it again the next night and my opinion was higher because I drank it neat (first night on the rocks). It tastes pretty good if you're looking for a variation of a traditional whiskey flavor, and tastes infinitely better than any of the flavored whiskeys I've tried.

Jameson's website suggests pairing the stout whiskey with a stout beer, which sounds like a good next experiment. I also used it to make my wife a hot toddy (she has a cold) and she thought that it was much better than usual, so there's that. All in all, not bad but I still prefer regular Jameson.
GarlandAg2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I had a taste of the Stout and the IPA last week at a bar/restaurant I frequent. I really enjoyed both of them but especially the stout. I agree re: smoothness and mouthfeel. I usually feel Jameson is somewhat "spicy" but I thought the stout caskmates was very smooth and drinkable. I also had it neat.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.