Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Food Scientist Question: Erythritol

1,559 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bigtruckguy3500
newhowdyag2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So erythritol will re-crystallize after melting. I was making low carb gummy bears and the flavor was really good, but then re-crystallization occurs. I made gummy bears out of bai water, and they have the consistency of normal gummy bears. How is that since bai uses erythritol?

Now the bai gummy bears were not that sweet, so maybe it's due to relatively little erythritol in the mixture. Or could the citric acid or malic acid help prevent it? I used malic acid in my gummies and that didn't work.

What do y'all think?
schmendeler
AG
Add THC. Then you won't give a **** about crystallization.
bigtruckguy3500
I'm not a food scientist, but I've taken a few chemistry courses. Generally, for crystalization to occur, the solution must be beyond saturation at at a cooler temperature than it is at currently. So I assume you heat it as you add erythritol, which increases solubility, allowing for more to dissolve than at room temp. As it cools, the solution can no longer hold that much, and it starts falling out of the solution. The structure of crystal formation is dependent on speed of formation as well as amount of impurities that may impede nucleus growth.

So I think your hypothesis maybe correct in that a lower concentration of erythritol isn't super saturating your gummy bear solution and/or the other impurities (citric acid), may be preventing large crystal formation.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.