Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Are air fryers worth it?

1,791 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by tamu2009
BrownDeerAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thinking about purchasing an air fryer. Those that have one, what is your opinion?
HTownAg98
If you have a convection oven, you already have an air fryer. Personally, I don't think they are worth it.
JYDog90
AG
It's definitely a trade off.

It will do the job of a deep fryer, but the skin doesn't come out as crispy or hold up as well. BUT, you don't have to buy all of that oil and the cleanup is a whole lot easier.

As far as cleanup and cost, it gets a 10.
As far as product, it gets a 6.
Formerly Willy Wonka
GeorgiAg
AG
I love mine. I have the Breville. Made some more wings this weekend. GF has one too (smaller one) and she uses it all the time. She has young kids who like french fries and she makes wings too. Other poster is right, it is just a high speed convection oven. I like it because it's healthier than oil. My wings come out pretty crispy. I sous vide them first, so all I'm worrying about is getting them crispy, not cooking.

I also make homemade french fries with the spirulizer. But those are hard to not burn them, because the cuts are uneven. Still pretty good though. I haven't tried hand-cutting fries, and I think those would turn out pretty well.

It has a pizza setting too. Came out awesome.

I live in the city, so I can't use my BGE, which I would prefer to use for wings.
LCE
AG
We have one. I don't use it but my boys use it all the time.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
I picked up the Big Easy on sale last week. Used it for the first time this past Saturday. Did a 14 lb. turkey. Turned out great. The family loved it. Skin was crispy. Clean up was so easy and didn't have to deal with all that oil.
tamu2009
AG
If you get a big enough one, they're great. I got a smaller one for my birthday and it'll do 3 chicken fingers max at a time. They turn out great, but it takes a good while to make any sizable number of chicken fingers for a meal.

I wouldn't spend my own money on one unless it was a big one that can do a lot at once, one that could do a 14lb turkey would be great, but I echo the above, not having the oil issue is A+ but the rest leaves a little to be desired.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.