Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Alder Wood

2,420 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BrownDeerAggie
OregonAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone know where I can get some for smoking? My wife had an allergy test today and the worst possible news came back: she's allergic to Pecan and Oak! WTF.

That's all I smoke with so now I want to try alder.

Thanks for the help
DadAG10
Don't know, but have you thought about getting a new wife?

jk
Ornlu
AG
Wouldn't mesquite be a more plentiful source? Alder doesn't grow anywhere in TX so it's going to be very tough to find.
OregonAggie
AG
Ornlu said:

Wouldn't mesquite be a more plentiful source? Alder doesn't grow anywhere in TX so it's going to be very tough to find.

It's not purely because I don't like it for smoking. At all. It's great for grilling though.

I'm hoping some wood supplier carries alder although I knew it isn't a local thing. Probably going to be a fruitless search.
Belton Ag
AG
Alder is a wood that's primarily sourced for millwork. You might check with any local cabinet shops and see if they have any scrap they might want to get rid of.

I've used 4/4 and 5/4 S4S red oak I got from a buddy's door shop before and it actually worked pretty well.
momlaw
AG
HEB has an assortment of smoking chips that are not oak or pecan.
including Alder
momlaw
NASAg03
smoked a turkey today using apple wood. turned out great. very light smoke flavor. didn't want to use mesquite because it's a bit overpowering.

HEB has pecan, oak, apple, cherry, hickory, and mesquite.

i'd also recommend hickory as an alt
Tx-Ag2010
AG
momlaw said:

including Alder
This!!! Although I wouldn't recommend alder for anything other than fish.
OregonAggie
AG
NASAg03 said:

smoked a turkey today using apple wood. turned out great. very light smoke flavor. didn't want to use mesquite because it's a bit overpowering.

Unfortunately she's allergic to hickory too...
Tx-Ag2010
AG
OregonAggie said:

NASAg03 said:

You might want to get a second opinion... just to make sure some vegan doctor isn't trying to influence your dietary selection.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Tx-Ag2010 said:

OregonAggie said:

NASAg03 said:

You might want to get a second opinion... just to make sure some vegan doctor isn't trying to influence your dietary selection.

Why the hell would a doctor lie to their patient about being allergic to something. That's a really weird thought to have.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Tx-Ag2010 said:

OregonAggie said:

NASAg03 said:

Why the hell would a doctor lie to their patient about being allergic to something. That's a really weird thought to have.

Not sure if serious... I was mostly joking about the vegan doctor part but can't stress getting a second opinion enough.

I never trust the word of a single doctor unless it's something simple like a cold or the flu. As good as doctor's try to be they are only human and make mistakes more often than most people would prefer.
JRizzle
AG
It is also possible that her allergy is contact only. It would be strange to be allergic to the smoke from a wood.
AggieChemist
AG
Sportsman's Warehouse carries alder. It's traditionally used for smoking salmon. That's what I use it for.
AggieChemist
AG
JRizzle said:

It is also possible that her allergy is contact only. It would be strange to be allergic to the smoke from a wood.
The allergens in wood can be carried by BBQ smoke.

This is relatively common.

<-- PhD in biochem that studies human allergy.
OregonAggie
AG
In your scientific opinion....do I just need to get a new wife?
Txmoe
AG
NASAg03 said:

This x 100. I think alder is a little bitter and can add a weird flavor to meats. I like smoking with fruit woods because the smoke flavor is subtle but pleasant. Apple can be used for anything, cherry and peach are great for pork.
JRizzle
AG
AggieChemist said:

JRizzle said:

The allergens in wood can be carried by BBQ smoke.

This is relatively common.

<-- PhD in biochem that studies human allergy.

Interesting. Had no idea.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
What are the symptoms of the allergic reaction?
OregonAggie
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

Eczema/rash and an itchy throat mainly. She's been having some worse issues over that last year and finally got allergy tested.
Belton Ag
AG
OregonAggie said:

Keeper of The Spirits said:

Eczema/rash and an itchy throat mainly. She's been having some worse issues over that last year and finally got allergy tested.
Your handle says Oregon, but do you live in Texas?

If so, I was at Academy today and noticed that they are carrying bagged BBQ logs from B&B in a variety of species. They had Apple, Maple and Cherry along with some others.
OregonAggie
AG
Yeah I lived in Oregon when I got on Texags years ago. We're in Dripping now.

I've noticed those bags there and I'm planning on trying some out. My main concern is brisket and I'm not really sure how great they'll turn out with a bunch of fruit woods.

Worth a try though
STX Ag
AG
I don't ever hear of anyone else using it much, but I use the B&B maple from academy and it's great. Burns easier than other types of wood, but not too hot, and has a great flavor. I've pretty much done every cut with it.
OregonAggie
AG
So just to make sure, the B&B bags are logs and not just chunks? I've purchased plenty of bags of post oak and pecan logs there just not cherry. I got some bags of chunks from Home Depot for tomorrow's smoke but it's also only going to be a 4-5 hour smoke so I'm not too worried about baby sitting the pit.

Ag_07
AG
She allergic to hickory?

Brisket smoked with hickory will be just fine. I've actually started to use hickory more often than oak for my briskets.
88Warrior
OregonAggie said:

Yeah I lived in Oregon when I got on Texags years ago. We're in Dripping now.

I've noticed those bags there and I'm planning on trying some out. My main concern is brisket and I'm not really sure how great they'll turn out with a bunch of fruit woods.

Worth a try though

Just experimenting, I smoked a brisket using cherry wood and it turned out great! Great smoke ring and just the right amount of smoke flavor...
STX Ag
AG
Wouldnt call them "logs" but they def arent just chunks. The oak and cherry are a little larger cuts, but I'd say the maple I use averages 10-12" length and 4-5" diameter.

Definitely large enough for the smoker unless you are running a huge one. I cut some of it down with a chop saw so the fire doesnt get too hot.
OregonAggie
AG
Ag_07 said:

She allergic to hickory?

Brisket smoked with hickory will be just fine. I've actually started to use hickory more often than oak for my briskets.

She is allergic to hickory so unfortunately that's not an option either. Sounds like I'll have access to cherry wood though and I'm looking forward to smoking my turkey today, in preparation for tomorrow. I'm doing cherry with small chunks of mesquite every once in awhile.

Can't wait to try a brisket on it.
OregonAggie
AG
STX Ag said:

Wouldnt call them "logs" but they def arent just chunks. The oak and cherry are a little larger cuts, but I'd say the maple I use averages 10-12" length and 4-5" diameter.

Definitely large enough for the smoker unless you are running a huge one. I cut some of it down with a chop saw so the fire doesnt get too hot.

That's perfect. I have a normal sized backyard smoker so it sounds like the size will be what I need.

Thanks for the feedback
CrawfordAg
AG
Fruit woods work great with poultry as they are pretty mild. Might want to check out your lump charcoal as well as most are mesquite, oak or oak hardwood mix.
OregonAggie
AG
I didn't even think about that. Thanks!

Good news is that after a year of allergy shots, she'll probably be fine. Hopefully!
Garrelli 5000
AG
Tx-Ag2010 said:

momlaw said:

including Alder
This!!! Although I wouldn't recommend alder for anything other than fish.

And electric guitars!
Take the trash out staff.
BrownDeerAggie
AG
I moved to Wisconsin for work 10 years ago. Since pecan trees don't like the cold winters, I use maple wood to smoke briskets and it works very well.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.