Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Fish sauce question

2,625 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Ornlu
Slicer97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How long is this stuff good for? I realize it doesn't really go bad, but at what point does it start to lose its potency.
BigAg95
AG
I asked my newfangled google machine, and it says it will last 2-3 years in the fridge once opened.
schmendeler
AG
it needs to be refrigerated?
Slicer97
AG
I don't refrigerate it. I asked y'alls opinion because I trust you idiots more than other idiots on the internet.
FIDO*98*
AG
You using Red Boat or the one with the Crabs?
Duncan Idaho
FIDO*98* said:

You using Red Boat or the one with the Crabs?

Who told you about my trip to Thailand?
Slicer97
AG
I dunno. It's in the cupboard and used sparingly. The label was in Thai and the only Thai I know is pla pad cha, which roughly translates to eat this and don't question the burning sensation because it just tastes that damn good.
schmendeler
AG
Red boat, fam
Ornlu
AG
Good Asian markets like H-mart in Carrollton have several other varieties as well. I've tried the boat and the stars, and also the black bottle with yellow letters. Red boat is best so far. It's just more.... Anchovey?

Any one tried others?
tlepoC
AG
Giant bottle of red boat doesn't last longer than a year in this very white household. It makes everything better so it goes in nearly everything
HTownAg98
Ornlu said:

Good Asian markets like H-mart in Carrollton have several other varieties as well. I've tried the boat and the stars, and also the black bottle with yellow letters. Red boat is best so far. It's just more.... Anchovey?

Any one tried others?

It's because the only ingredients on the bottle are anchovies and salt. In fact, if the ingredient list is anything but anchovies and salt, find another bottle.
Ornlu
AG
What if the ingredients list is in another language tho? There is literally no English on 3 of the brands. In fact, I only know they're fish sauce because of their placement on the shelf.
HTownAg98
Don't worry about it and just get Red Boat and be done with it. I haven't found one that is better.

I did notice that my bottle of Red Boat fish sauce says to refrigerate after opening.
PooDoo
AG
My Vietnamese mil will refrigerate but only after she doctors it with minced garlic, chili garlic paste, and a little sugar.
OasisMan
AG
if it smells fishy, then it is still good
JAG03
AG
OasisMan said:

if it smells fishy, then it is still good

You sure? I've always been told otherwise.
tlepoC
AG
I think you are supposed to squirt some lemon on it and watch if it winces.
BackwardsInBoots
AG
Google translate has a live camera/picture option.
aznaggiegirl07
AG
three crabs
Unemployed
AG
For Vietnamese fish sauce, look for nhi on the label and you should be good to go.
schmendeler
AG
Ornlu
AG
aznaggiegirl07 said:

three crabs

I bought a bottle of that Monday. I'm almost out of the red boat and it was all my local Kroger had.

Tasting them side by side I can't tell the difference.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.