Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Good Eats: Reloaded

4,004 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by HtownAg92
HTownAg98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Alton Brown is redoing 13 episodes of Good Eats before he starts with new episodes. Episode 1 tonight was steak, and if you're a frequent reader of this board and the outdoor board, you already know most of the new stuff (how to season a cast iron pan and the reverse sear method for cooking a steak). Next week is biscuits, and I'm curious to see what he does to change his biscuit recipe, because it's been a pretty good one for me.
bmc13
AG
woooo!
htxag09
AG
Starting it now. Way more excited than I should be....
schmendeler
AG
for some reason I thought it was 10/16. i'll have to see if it recorded last night.
schmendeler
AG
watched is last night. it was good to have him back!

did anyone else think the steak he pulled out of the skillet looked strangely red? it almost looked like it had been smoked.
Hemingway
AG
I'm glad to have him back. Kinda wish he had given a nod to Kenji for the reverse sear or longer salt rest in the first episode. Guess the media empires might prohibit cross advertising.
hph6203
AG
Kenji didn't invent that technique either...

https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/more-cooking-science/cooking-temps-when-cook-hot-fast-when-cook-low-slow

https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/03/how-to-reverse-sear-best-way-to-cook-steak.html
Bruce Almighty
AG
Kenji doesn't really invent anything. He just treats cooking like a science experiment, tests multiple ways to cook things, and then publishes his results on what he thinks is best. The reverse sear has been around forever.
Hemingway
AG
I guess I thought he was one of the first to champion it for smaller cuts - steaks vs rib roasts. Either way, glad Alton is back and love the science in cooking.
htxag09
AG
The new season of Good Eats started last night. I enjoyed it; am sure I'll try the chicken parm recipe.

The quinoa casserole isn't really in the realm of what we normally eat (we normally just cook quinoa plain), but it did look pretty good so I'm sure we'll splurge one day and give it a go.
La Fours
AG
So my dvr recorded some BS Guy Fieri show yesterday in what was supposed to be Good Eats. This happen to anyone else?
LawHall88
AG
La Fours said:

So my dvr recorded some BS Guy Fieri show yesterday in what was supposed to be Good Eats. This happen to anyone else?
You can watch them on the Food TV app.
htxag09
AG
Not sure why, but it was at 7 and 7:30 yesterday. My dvr adjusted and recorded them correctly
gvine07
AG
I've never seen Good Eats, but Alton Brown's beef jerky recipe is amazing. Don't bother with any others
HtownAg92
AG
He deep fried a hamburger as his reload.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.