Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Dressing for Thanksgiving

5,172 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by investorAg83
cr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Would anyone be kind enough to share a good recipe?
HTownAg98
Mine doesn't have much as far a measurements go. It is a taste and see if it needs anything. But here goes.

1 9" square pan cornbread. Let it out for a day or to so it's stale.
1/2 loaf of a sturdy white bread. Again, let it stale.

Saute 2 sweet onions that have been minced in a couple tablespoons of butter until translucent. Add two bunches of sliced green onions, and saut until soft. Add about half a bunch of finely minced parsley, and saut until wilted. Season with s&p, and remove to a large bowl to cool. Wipe that pan clean. This next step is optional, but I like to mince the liver and gizzards, and saute them in some more butter, and then add to the onions and parsley. Another optional step is two add two handfuls of raisins or dried cranberries. Next, add homemade chicken or turkey stock until everything is well moistened. You should now have a mix of fine bread pieces and chunks. Taste and adjust for seasoning. This should all fit into an 11x13 Pyrex pan. At this point, you can chill it overnight and bake the next day, or just go straight to a 375 degree oven. Bake it until it's warmed all the way through and the top browns.
cr
Thanks
AgsMnn
AG
Look up Paula D recipe. Adjust some of you want.

I like my dressing firm. My in laws make their dressing really sloppy like. I don't eat it.
Austintm
I started making this several years ago. It takes time, but I every year I get asked to make this again at home and at our work celebration. Dean Fearing's dressing recipe:

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/tortilla-corn-bread-dressing

Ornlu
AG
We don't care what you wear for Thanksgiving. This is the food board, not the fashion board.
JCA1
AG
My dressing is basically the same as HTown's but I sweat some diced celery with the onions. I also add sage.
HTownAg98
I forgot about the celery. There's about two stalks of minced celery that goes with the onions.
DiskoTroop
Saw this the other day and it's real close to ours...

Obviously the instructions leave some ingredients out. Basically just mix it all in a bowl until consistency is something like a stiff oatmeal.
FIDO*98*
AG
HTownAg98 said:

I forgot about the celery. There's about two stalks of minced celery that goes with the onions.

Same here. I also use Kenji's method of dealing with the livers. I put them in the blender raw and puree them before adding to the veggies. It's kinda gross, but, kind of fun. You get all the richness without anyone getting funny about eating giblets
cr
do you guys make your cornbread or just buy a mix?

Martha White?
aggiespartan
AG
Last year I made a poblano pepper version that was pretty good. I usually tweak my recipe every year.

I make my own cornbread. It's so easy.
Van Buren Boy
AG
I like to make large cubes with my cornbread, put them on a sheet tray then drizzle with olive oil an kosher salt and place them under the broiler for a minute or two. Flipping them around so they don't burn. Adds some nice texture before they get crumbled up.
Slicer97
AG
I make my own. Buy a bag of Lamb's cornmeal and just follow the recipe on the side.
BigAg95
AG
I use my grandmother's cornbread dressing recipe. This makes enough to feed 15-16 people. Note that if you make a half recipe, the cooking time may be closer to one hour instead of the normal 90 minutes, so start watching/checking it after about 45 minutes.

2 Bell Peppers, finely diced or shredded in food processor
1 Bunch of Celery, trimmed and cleaned, finely diced or shredded in food processor
2 White Onions, finely diced or shredded in food processor
3 TBSP Poultry seasoning
1 heaping TBSP Sage seasoning (plus more to add to taste)
3 sticks Butter
4 packages Cornbread, cooked, cooled, & crumbled (I usually make this the day before and keep it in ziploc bags)
4-5 Cans Chicken Broth
6 Eggs
3 TBSP Salt
1-2 TBSP Black Pepper (to taste)
1-2 TBSP Garlic Powder (to taste)

1. Melt Butter in large skillet or roasting pan.

2. Braise peppers, celery, and onions until slightly browned.

3. Stir crumbled cornbread into vegetable and butter mixture in roasting pan.

4. Add other ingredients except eggs and broth and fold until mixed.

5. Taste mixture as you add spices to determine desired amount of pepper, garlic, and sage.

6. Stir in eggs and broth. Start with 3 cans of broth then add remainder slowly as you stir until you reach the desired consistency. You want it to be close to the consistency of cooked oatmeal, but err slightly on the side of having too much liquid so it does not get too dry when baked.

7. Cook in a 350 degree oven for about an hour and a half, or until dressing is browned on top and still slightly moist in the center. Once it starts to brown, test it with a knife and if it comes out mostly clean, it is ready.
FIDO*98*
AG
garc said:

do you guys make your cornbread or just buy a mix?

Martha White?

Homemade. Commercial is too sweet for dressing IMO
Bruce Almighty
AG
Cornbread stuffing with sausage and roasted poblanos

I've been making this one from Food and Wine for a few years now and it's great.
aggiespartan
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

I've been making this one from Food and Wine for a few years now and it's great.
Pretty sure this is the one I did last year. It was really good.
BQ78
AG
Dressing for Thanksgiving is overrated, besides all my family has all seen me nekked before.
Slicer97
AG
1. I didn't know you were from Arkansas

2. Way to ruin your family's appetite
Sorrell Booke
Anyone ever made a rice based dressing instead of bread based? I made one once with sausage and it turned out pretty good. Will look to find the recipe.
mslags97
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Mine doesn't have much as far a measurements go. It is a taste and see if it needs anything. But here goes.

1 9" square pan cornbread. Let it out for a day or to so it's stale.
1/2 loaf of a sturdy white bread. Again, let it stale.

Saute 2 sweet onions that have been minced in a couple tablespoons of butter until translucent. Add two bunches of sliced green onions, and saut until soft. Add about half a bunch of finely minced parsley, and saut until wilted. Season with s&p, and remove to a large bowl to cool. Wipe that pan clean. This next step is optional, but I like to mince the liver and gizzards, and saute them in some more butter, and then add to the onions and parsley. Another optional step is two add two handfuls of raisins or dried cranberries. Next, add homemade chicken or turkey stock until everything is well moistened. You should now have a mix of fine bread pieces and chunks. Taste and adjust for seasoning. This should all fit into an 11x13 Pyrex pan. At this point, you can chill it overnight and bake the next day, or just go straight to a 375 degree oven. Bake it until it's warmed all the way through and the top browns.

This is incredibly similar to mine. I use some raw eggs and a couple of boiled eggs as well as pecans. And I season with sage as well as salt and pepper. I roast a couple of necks and a turkey leg to get extra drippings to put in, and I use that meat instead of the gizzards because my family is disgusted by the liver and gizzards. I use them if I can get away without them knowing though.
BQ78
AG
You sir have not seen me nekked, I have the body of an Adonis. The Statue of David weeps in awe when it sees me nekked. And no sir, I am not from Arkansas but have spent a night nekked in a Holiday Inn in the Natural State.
cr
Bruce Almighty said:

I'm curious about this recipe.

What kind of sausage do you use? Mild, medium, hot?!
Bruce Almighty
AG
garc said:

Bruce Almighty said:

I'm curious about this recipe.

What kind of sausage do you use? Mild, medium, hot?!
I just use regular breakfast sausage. I have to make it kid friendly, so I don't make it hot. I did experiment with it a couple of years ago when it was just my wife and I, and I did chorizo. It was different but really good.
cr
thanks!
88Warrior
JCA1 said:

My dressing is basically the same as HTown's but I sweat some diced celery with the onions. I also add sage.

Sage is the key!
FTAco07
AG
Sorrell Booke said:

Anyone ever made a rice based dressing instead of bread based? I made one once with sausage and it turned out pretty good. Will look to find the recipe.

My mom makes a rice dressing and an oyster dressing every year. Rice dressing is good and similar to dirty rice, but the oyster dressing is the best. The recipe was my grandmother's, and I eat 3x more of that than anything else on my plate.

The few times I've had cornbread dressing made by others it's always been too dry for my taste.
e cartman
AG
FTAco07 said:

Sorrell Booke said:

My mom makes a rice dressing and an oyster dressing every year. Rice dressing is good and similar to dirty rice, but the oyster dressing is the best. The recipe was my grandmother's, and I eat 3x more of that than anything else on my plate.

The few times I've had cornbread dressing made by others it's always been too dry for my taste.

I mince an onion in the food processor and add it to the cornbread mix. Keeps the cornbread from drying out and adds great flavor.
Mr_mo8268
AG
I make a sage, sausage, and poblano one that's incredible. You can sub mushrooms if vegetarian. Just realized someone already said that. I read the recipe, mine is similar but half cornbread half baguette and fresh sage. I've done oyster dressing before and the traditional with the turkey offals but I think my sausage poblano is the go to.
biobioprof
reminds me that I could use a new waffle iron

RK
AG
If it doesn't have sage in it, I ain't interested.
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

the oyster dressing is the best.

Agree. Mom always makes it & it is delicious. No recipe - she does it by feel & taste. I really need to start paying attention and making notes as she is getting older. 87 this week!
HTownAg98
schwack schwack said:

Quote:

the oyster dressing is the best.

Agree. Mom always makes it & it is delicious. No recipe - she does it by feel & taste. I really need to start paying attention and making notes as she is getting older. 87 this week!

That's how I got my grandmother's recipe. I helped her make it many times, and once I took notes.
Jack Klompus
AG
Pioneer Woman's stuffing is great.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.