Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Kamado grill

12,812 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by RED AG 98
Absolute
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I did the BBQ guys online. Ended up getting 500 off because it was one with a small chip in the finish at the bottom.

Service was very good. When I unpacked it hree of the firebox panels had small corner chips and the shelves had some scratches. Sent an email with pictures and had new of both in a couple days (now I have back ups!)

Have grilled on it a few times. Happy so far.
Diggity
AG
got mine today. Going to try out a bird tomorrow.

Will report back on results.
bigboykin
AG
If you have an Ace Hardware nearby, they have the KJ Classic I (the older model with old style hinge and gasket) on sale for $699 in-store pickup, where available. Seems like a pretty darn good deal, even without the upgraded components. LINK.

Also, if you're in the market for a more "entry-level" kamado grill, you might check Sam's club. I bought the Vision Classic Kamado yesterday marked down to $185 (original price $499). Probably tough to find though, as they've been slowly marking them down for a while. I got lucky and got the last one at Mansfield Sam's.

On that note, if you're in DFW (I'm in SW Arlington) and interested in a Kamander double-walled steel kamado-style grill, I have a darn near new one (basically, I've done the assembly and breaking in/seasoning for you) that I'd let go for $150 (MSRP $399).

I also have a Bubba Keg double-walled steel kamado-style grill, the precursor to the Broil King Keg, that has started to rust out a bit in the bottom after 8 years in FL salt air, but is still functional for all but the lowest temp cooks and could probably be repaired by somebody with the skills/inclination. I'd ask maybe $80 obo for that.
CrawfordAg
AG
Just picked up a Primo XL this past weekend, found a really good deal that was hard to pass up and had it shipped from San Antonio.

For 2K I got the following:

* Primo XL- only been cooked on 10 times over 6 months
* 54" Challenger cabinet - showing online pricing at $1,900
* Cast Iron Divider
* 2 - Extension Racks
* Deflector Plates
* Ash Tool
* Fireboard w/ 4 meat probes and an ambient probe

Verdict so far- Love the weight of the lid and the features of the cabinet. I did one cook with a pincanha and cooked with the fire to one side and reverse seared at the end, turned out fantastic. The following day I did a 12 lb brisket and filled it with lump, 5-6 pecan chunks mixed throughout and a seasoned post oak log. The brisket turned out very moist ; however, it ended up with little to no smoke ring which I didn't have a problem with on the Akorn. I wrapped the brisket around 170 to let it ride through the stall and pulled at an IT of around 200. Unfortunately, I did not have butcher paper around so I feel like the foil wrap steamed the bark and made it a little soft.

Any tips for a brisket on an XL?
aTm2004
AG
It's hard to get a smoke ring on a Kamado in my experience. I've found going heavier on the wood (larger chunks as well) helps, but you're not going to match an offset.
cr
aTm2004 said:

It's hard to get a smoke ring on a Kamado in my experience. I've found going heavier on the wood (larger chunks as well) helps, but you're not going to match an offset.

Or a pellet smoker.

Yeah, I can match your smoke ring.
aTm2004
AG
garc said:

aTm2004 said:

Or a pellet smoker.

Yeah, I can match your smoke ring.

How? I haven't been able to in about 20 briskets.
schmendeler
AG
Not being rude here, but how do you not?

These are beef ribs that I did.

cr
schmendeler said:

Not being rude here, but how do you not?

These are beef ribs that I did.

Beautiful!
aTm2004
AG
If I knew I'd tell you.
schmendeler
AG
How much smoking wood do you put on it?
schmendeler
AG
Thank you
AggieSam02
AG
This was a prime brisket from H-E-B. No wood chunks or chips. Done in a primo oval XL with fogo premium lump only. Flat was slightly dry because I didn't wrap but damn good flavor and very tender.

aTm2004
AG
7-8 chunks.
RED AG 98
AG
Thank you! Ordered a Big Joe from here today. I wasn't able to make the Costco roadshow work but this is a heckuva deal!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.