Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Kamado grill

12,794 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by RED AG 98
Absolute
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
After a failed experiment with a cheap Vision brand kamado (fail In that it was an expensive pos, not that we didn't like it,) we want to go ahead an buy a good brand. The two front-runner appear to be bge or kamado joe.

Thoughts?
FDT 1999
AG
Out of those two, it's BGE no question. If you're looking at BGE, the other comparable ones are Primo and Grill Dome.

Good luck!
Shiner Bock
AG
User error? I have a vision and have done pizzas, brisket, pork butt, filet, ribeye, whole chickens, turkey, pork loin with ease. Find it very easy to hold the temp I need.
CrawfordAg
AG
I'm down to a kamado Joe or primo and will be buying one of the two this month...leaning towards the primo
Silky Johnston
Kamado Joe has pretty neat and useful accessories. I have a Saffire Grill and I would buy a KJ if i could do it again.
MookieBlaylock
AG
I would go Joe

IFeelLikeLarryDavid
Haven't checked prices lately but when I was in the market the Grill Dome was better quality and better priced than the BGE. I have a Grill Dome and a BGE and find the Grill Dome to be my favorite.
AggieSam02
AG
Let us know if we can help if you're in the Houston market. www.creekstoneoutdoors.com
FIDO*98*
AG
Grill Dome
Absolute
AG
Shiner Bock said:

User error? I have a vision and have done pizzas, brisket, pork butt, filet, ribeye, whole chickens, turkey, pork loin with ease. Find it very easy to hold the temp I need.
I have no particular complaints with the function of the unit. Worked fine. My complaints are in the quality of the construction and the customer service or lack thereof.
Absolute
AG
Hadn't heard of grill dome. Will check it out. Liked the concept and willing to spend to get quality that will last and be supported. Want to get the best.
FDT 1999
AG
Absolute said:

Hadn't heard of grill dome. Will check it out. Liked the concept and willing to spend to get quality that will last and be supported. Want to get the best.

Well, if you want the best, then this is what you get. Be careful what you wish for. This is the Ferrari.

https://komodokamado.com
Absolute
AG
FDT 1999 said:

Absolute said:

Well, if you want the best, then this is what you get. Be careful what you wish for. This is the Ferrari.

https://komodokamado.com

Okay, let me revise that statement. Really good quality for people with middle class income and kids in college.
Diggity
AG
No question? Not really sure what the big advantage BGE has over KJ.

KJ is cheaper, had more features and comes with the stand and side racks. Also can be purchased online to avoid taxes.
slappy
AG
Damn. That's nuts.
Diggity
AG

Looks like someone's pre-teen daughter took a bedazzler to dad's egg!
Mathguy64
AG
$4200-$4400 for the equivalent of a LBGE. Because nothing says brisket like a pimped out rhinestone covered kamado.
'03ag
Kamado Joe from the costco road show.
strohag
AG
Get a Primo XL oval. Love it.
cr
OP, if you are looking at primarily smoking, consider a pellet smoker. Or get a pellet smoker with a sear burner.

I recently bought one and it's the bomb. I smoke stuff every week now.. Thus far, I've smoked 2 briskets, 1 butt, 5 chickens, 3 back ribs, and several sets of jerky. All turned out excellent, especially the briskets. Fill it up with your favorite wood, set it and forget it.
Absolute
AG
garc said:

OP, if you are looking at primarily smoking, consider a pellet smoker. Or get a pellet smoker with a sear burner.

I recently bought one and it's the bomb. I smoke stuff every week now.. Thus far, I've smoked 2 briskets, 1 butt, 5 chickens, 3 back ribs, and several sets of jerky. All turned out excellent, especially the briskets. Fill it up with your favorite wood, set it and forget it.

Do more regular grilling than smoking.
Texmid
AG
I own a Kamodo Joe and am very happy with it.
Joe Exotic
AG
FDT 1999 said:

Out of those two, it's BGE no question. If you're looking at BGE, the other comparable ones are Primo and Grill Dome.

Good luck!

Why BGE "no question?
'03ag
Bo Darville said:

FDT 1999 said:

Good luck!

Why BGE "no question?
Because marketing.
RK
AG
i can't really think of an advantage BGE has over Kamado Joe...not that BGE is a bad choice by any means. i've had a Grill Dome and will be in the market for another one soon and will go with a Primo XL or Big Joe.
schmendeler
AG
Bo Darville said:

FDT 1999 said:

Good luck!

Why BGE "no question?
there are no questions if you don't put any thought into a recommendation.
schmendeler
AG
i have a kamado joe and it is one of the best cooking related purchases i've ever made.

that said, amazingribs.com was high on the primo, i believe, because of the oblong shape, which is good for the things you would typically smoke (briskets, rib racks, tenderloins, etc.)
Joe Exotic
AG
Same. Really glad I went with the KJ. I especially like the gasket and dome closure assist on the classic II.
AggieSam02
AG
We carry all 3 brands (BGE, Primo, and KJ). Come on in if you want us to walk you thru each models pros/cons:

In a nutshell:
BGE - 1st to market, best quality ceramics, great customer service, great dealer support, tons of accessories

Primo - only American made ceramic, black tends to be a more desirable finish, oval XL is a great shape for larger cuts like brisket, very easy reverse sear set up, great customer service

KJ - all in one packages keep it simple, rain cap and damper in 1, spring assist and hood latch, different gasket
Absolute
AG
AggieSam02 said:

We carry all 3 brands (BGE, Primo, and KJ). Come on in if you want us to walk you thru each models pros/cons:

In a nutshell:
BGE - 1st to market, best quality ceramics, great customer service, great dealer support, tons of accessories

Primo - only American made ceramic, black tends to be a more desirable finish, oval XL is a great shape for larger cuts like brisket, very easy reverse sear set up, great customer service

KJ - all in one packages keep it simple, rain cap and damper in 1, spring assist and hood latch, different gasket

Kj customer service?
CrawfordAg
AG
Primo XL vs Big Joe...what are the big differences outside of oval shape of the primo and the fact that KJ includes most of the accessories. I'm really leaning to the aesthetics and use case for the Primo XL.

Change my mind...
Diggity
AG
Does KJ not so black anymore? That's strange.

As far as customer service, I had the ceramic piece that holds the charcoal crack on me about 3 years in. Sent customer service a pic and they had a new one for me free of charge within the week.
AggieSam02
AG
It's okay. I wouldn't say bad necessarily. We seem to have more issues out of the box with them than the other two. Broken latches, messed up gaskets, missing nuts, etc. Most of that is derived from being made overseas (China) and a lower level of QC. We offer free assembly and delivery so that can be somewhat of a pain for us on the dealer side.
AggieSam02
AG
No black KJ. Only the red/orange.

Glad to hear it was smooth getting the replacement parts. We haven't had major issues getting them either but hasn't been quite as smooth as their competitors.
AggieSam02
AG
Not a lot. Primo is working on a different hinge mechanism. That's probably the biggest detractor from their product when compared to the other two. The lid seems extremely heavy when compared to the KJ and the BGE.

We expect them to have an update next year.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.