Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Need some brisket help

1,580 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Ornlu
DTP02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a family gathering this weekend at a vacation house in E TX. Dinner plans are always a joint effort, and I frequently end up doing the grilling but I don't get to choose my equipment and in some case even the meat.

One of my relatives is offering to provide a couple brisket flats if I will do the "smoking."

Smoking is in quotes because the grill is a propane grill and smoker combo.

The "smoker" side is essentially a vertical smoker with a propane burner on the bottom, and a wood chip pan over the burner, with three racks above. I've been able to do make pretty dang good ribs on this thing with some tweaks to how I do it on my Oklahoma Joe at home.

But for brisket I just can't get the temperatures low enough for long enough.

If I'm going to try to do brisket this weekend, I'm thinking maybe 90 minutes or so to get some smoke (based on past experience I'll probably be pushing up over 275 by this point) and then either wrapping with a lot of foil and keeping it going (temps will likely settle in around 300) or finishing with a low and slow in the oven around 225 until I get the internal temp up.

Anyone ever had any experienced dealing with a difficult setup like this and being able to make a decent brisket?
HTownAg98
Smoke first, then wrap and finish in the oven. Your bark won't be as good, but you'll still end up with a good product.
DTP02
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Smoke first, then wrap and finish in the oven. Your bark won't be as good, but you'll still end up with a good product.

Are you thinking wrap right away after I get some smoke on there and put in the oven at 225? Or leave it unwrapped for a while?
Ornlu
AG
I use a propane smoker at home, and had trouble getting it to stay at less than 250F.

You should purchase a 10-PSI regulator with a needle valve attached. Like this. Less than $20.

Regulator keeps the same pressure as the burner likes (10 PSI) but the valve controls the volume of gas. Set it at around 3/8 of a turn (it goes all the way out to 2 turns), and you'll get low-flow that's still at 10 PSI. So it won't go out, and you'll be able to keep temps at 200-220 with ease.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.