Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

venison garlic cheddar sausage

1,281 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by schmendeler
AggieChemist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

3 lbs fresh ground venison
6 lbs fresh ground pork butt
1 lb fresh ground ribeye trimmings
1.1 lb sharp cheddar cheese, diced into approximately 1/4" cubes

10 tsp sea salt (fine)
6 tsp coarse ground black pepper
12 large cloves garlic, diced fine
2 tsp cayenne pepper

(Salt is on point, I think it needed more pepper but wife disagreed so I left it)

Meat and fat was cubed into 1" cubes, mixed and par-frozen prior to grinding. Spices added, mixed, and allowed to mingle 24 hr in the fridge. Cheese added and mixed immediately prior to stuffing.

Stuffed into natural hog casings, will smoke at ~250 until ready to serve.
schmendeler
AG
Isn't it more of a pork sausage?
Matsui
AG
Thanks for sharing!
HTownAg98
schmendeler said:

If people would stop breeding pork to be "the other white meat," you could use less pork. But the sad fact of reality is that now you have to use more pork to get the fat content high enough, unless you add some straight pork fat. Our sausage recipe 30 years ago was 50/50 pork/venison. Now it is 65% pork, 35% venison, and 5% pork fat.
schmendeler
AG
I wish there was an option to get heritage breeds or the like at grocery stores.
AggieChemist
AG
HTownAg98 said:

schmendeler said:

If people would stop breeding pork to be "the other white meat," you could use less pork. But the sad fact of reality is that now you have to use more pork to get the fat content high enough, unless you add some straight pork fat. Our sausage recipe 30 years ago was 50/50 pork/venison. Now it is 65% pork, 35% venison, and 5% pork fat.

Spot on
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

I wish there was an option to get heritage breeds or the like at grocery stores.

You might want to give these people in Grapeland a look.

http://www.chubbydogfarm.com/

"We raise mangalitsa crossed with red wattle and hereford pigs, and most recently added a hereford boar and a wattlelitsa sow to the breeding program. They roam and feast on acreage in the piney woods, and we supplement their natural foraging diet with non-GMO and non-soy feed with no hormones or antibiotics ever."

schmendeler
AG
Interesting
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.