Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Cooking techniques you've never heard of before?

4,161 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by PooDoo
MarylandAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I work for the government, lived in Maryland when I created this account. Lived there for 6 years, couldn't get back to Texas fast enough. Your post made me chuckle, good one
Walter Kovacs
AG
Born and raised in the RGV. Ive seen the sausage in a bag many times. Its always ****ing Eckrich sausage. Polymers probably enhance the flavors. Eckrich is trash.
RGV AG
AG
Long time no see boss, hope you are fine. When you are in South Texas the good eats, not healthy mind you, are all around you all the time and you take them for granted, but when you are away for a while man do you miss it.

I was in Nicaragua for years and only once was I able to plead with a butcher to get me some mollejas. Costillas? Forget about it. I did find a dude that had worked in Mexico for a long time and he would cut me some semi decent stuff, but it sucked in terms of the good food.
fav13andac1)c
AG
MarylandAG said:

I grew up in South Texas, Zapata, TX to be specific and I have never seen anyone cook sausage in the plastic wrap. Also, that brand of sausage is not good. We always cooked it under indirect heat, just move it off to the side and leave it there. A Sunday "Carne asada" was a ritual for us growing up so I've seen a lot of people grilling in south texas but never that. Now I'm hungry! I miss that....the english cut ribs (aka "tablitas", mollejas (aka sweet breads), the potatoes wrapped in foil and dropped directly on the coals, the fajitas (these were VASTLY different from what I see in Houston now, ours were cut thin and cooked over a screaming hot coals rapidly, the corn tortillas cooked directly on the grill, the grilled cebollas, the "alambres" (aka sheesh kabobos))..........

gonna have to fire up the grill over the weekend now!!!!

Man, Zapata, TX. The first time I was ever called a gringo was during a junior high football game in Zapata.
PooDoo
AG
They use a similar technique to reopen your arteries after larding.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.