Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Cooking techniques you've never heard of before?

4,146 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by PooDoo
schmendeler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I bought Jacques Pepin's "Techniques" a while back and just now started looking through it. It's pretty interesting, and definitely worth the price I paid at half price books.

I came across a cooking technique that I don't think I've ever seen or heard of before. I'm far from a pro, but I am an avid food and cooking enthusiast, so this was a rare occurrence to come across something I'd never seen demonstrated or explained.

It's called "Larding". It essentially consists of taking fat back and slicing/cutting it into long, thin strips resembling pork fat noodles about half an inch thick. Then you place these noodles into groove on your "Larding needle", which is then twisted/threaded through a roast, which apparently didn't have enough fat to begin with. Then you repeat until you have fat regularly distributed. So you end up with solid fat threaded through your piece of meat you plan to cook.

Has anyone else heard of this, or done it?

Out in Left Field
AG
Wrapping stuff in bacon was only the beginning.
bmc13
AG
do want
chipotle
That looks kinda gross. Am I going to try it? A thousand times yes.
dummble
AG
People in south Texas cooking sausage in the package on the grill. Seems I just noticed this last year.
Duncan Idaho
Get back to me when you start making aspics
Icecream_Ag
S
dummble said:

People in south Texas cooking sausage in the package on the grill. Seems I just noticed this last year.
like in the plastic wrap? Or just the casing?
schmendeler
AG
It's clearly the worse option.
Icecream_Ag
S
schmendeler said:

It's clearly the worse option.
ah so the paper around the plastic wrap
Duncan Idaho
dummble said:

I need photographic evidence of this.
dummble
AG

schmendeler
AG
mmm, polymers
investorAg83
AG
schmendeler said:

mmm, polymers
chipotle
schmendeler said:

mmm, polymers

Label side up
schmendeler
AG
chipotle said:

schmendeler said:

mmm, polymers

Label side up
naturally. so the paper cellulose can drip down into the meat.
Duncan Idaho
chipotle said:

schmendeler said:

mmm, polymers

Label side up

This got a audile chuckle out of me.
Duncan Idaho
Had no idea. The Mexicans where I grew up (border town out west) did not do this.
dummble
AG
I fancied myself pretty mexican and have an extended family that I thought covered the rest of the bases. but it seems even I did not know everything. The discussion on fbook is that the sausage is never over direct heat and it steams in the plastic.
gif
dummble said:

I love how the TABC sticker is still on the bottle. Wonder what restaurant/bar that was "purchased" from?
Duncan Idaho
dummble said:

I fancied myself pretty mexican and have an extended family that I thought covered the rest of the bases. but it seems even I did not know everything. The discussion on fbook is that the sausage is never over direct heat and it steams in the plastic.

Mexican Sous vide al vaco
schmendeler
AG
dummble said:

In what world is that desired when you have a grill at hand to get some nice char?
Mathguy64
AG
If you are dumb enough to drink Chivas you are dumb enough to put plastic wrapped sausage on the pit.
Tecolote
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

chipotle said:

schmendeler said:

mmm, polymers

Label side up

This got a audile chuckle out of me.
But, the real question is whether it is made in America polymers or cheap Chinese crap polymer.
John Francis Donaghy
mathguy86 said:

If you are dumb enough to drink Chivas you are dumb enough to put plastic wrapped sausage on the pit.

Out of a wine glass full of ice cubes, no less. And with a Coors light chaser.
Max Power
AG
The house I grew up in never heard of cooking a piece of meat and leaving any color left on the inside. It wasn't till I cooked a steak in the dark on accident to medium rare that a new world opened up to me.
HTownAg98
That's why the technique of larding became popular. Now that we can control the internal temperature of meat more accurately, we can cook meat until they are done but still have a high level of palatability.

Now, if you want to lard something for a braised dish, that's a different story.
Koko Chingo
AG
I saw this technique used on a show called "Fannie's Last Supper".

The show was a special done in the 90's by Chris Kimball from Americas Test Kitchen. He and his crew recreate a full multi-course dinner based on a 100 year old cookbook from Fannie Farmer.

They cook with an old wood burning stove, oven, and all period correct tools & techniques.

I watched it about a year ago. I can't remember if it was on Amazon or Netflix.

It's really awesome. I love history and food. This speaks to both

e cartman
AG
Koko Chingo said:

I saw this technique used on a show called "Fannie's Last Supper".

The show was a special done in the 90's by Chris Kimball from Americas Test Kitchen. He and his crew recreate a full multi-course dinner based on a 100 year old cookbook from Fannie Farmer.

They cook with an old wood burning stove, oven, and all period correct tools & techniques.

I watched it about a year ago. I can't remember if it was on Amazon or Netflix.

It's really awesome. I love history and food. This speaks to both

Check out Lords & Ladles on Netflix. Trio of Irish chefs recreate meals in the great Houses/Castles of Ireland. Meals range from the 1600's to the early 1900's. Fascinating stuff.
Koko Chingo
AG
Thanks for the recommendation -- it's now on the list
bmc13
AG
I watched a few episodes of that. pretty interesting
RGV AG
AG
The cooking of the sausage in the packet baffles me and I have beetched about it and made fun of it for years. Crazy stupid.

But the TABC label on the Scotch is actually the sticker the TABC put on booze bought duty free in Mexico and brought back through one of the international bridges. Guy is actually following the law instead of breaking it, for a change.
gif
RGV AG said:

The cooking of the sausage in the packet baffles me and I have beetched about it and made fun of it for years. Crazy stupid.

But the TABC label on the Scotch is actually the sticker the TABC put on booze bought duty free in Mexico and brought back through one of the international bridges. Guy is actually following the law instead of breaking it, for a change.

RGV AG
AG
That Gif made me laugh. But seriously boss that has to be a border Mexican with the Coors light and Chivas over a BBQ pit with sausage in a bag, I promise. That truly is the TABC stamp for the Texas liquor tax, again I promise. I have had many of those applied back in the day.
MarylandAG
I grew up in South Texas, Zapata, TX to be specific and I have never seen anyone cook sausage in the plastic wrap. Also, that brand of sausage is not good. We always cooked it under indirect heat, just move it off to the side and leave it there. A Sunday "Carne asada" was a ritual for us growing up so I've seen a lot of people grilling in south texas but never that. Now I'm hungry! I miss that....the english cut ribs (aka "tablitas", mollejas (aka sweet breads), the potatoes wrapped in foil and dropped directly on the coals, the fajitas (these were VASTLY different from what I see in Houston now, ours were cut thin and cooked over a screaming hot coals rapidly, the corn tortillas cooked directly on the grill, the grilled cebollas, the "alambres" (aka sheesh kabobos))..........

gonna have to fire up the grill over the weekend now!!!!
Ag_07
AG
MarylandAG said:

I grew up in South Texas, Zapata, TX

Username does not check out
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.