Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

I made some bacon!

2,589 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by GSS
schmendeler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So easy and so good.

amanda04
AG
Nice!! Did you hand slice or use a slicer?
schmendeler
AG
Hand sliced. Put it in the freezer for about an hour and then used some giant scimitar looking knife that was my grandfather's.

Not the easiest but it turned out better than I expected.
schmendeler
AG
It looks like this but has a wooden handle and says "Victoria" instead of Victorinox.

https://www.houzz.com/product/23494674-victorinox-fibrox-12-scimitar-contemporary-chefs-knives/?m_refid=PLA_HZ_23494674&m_refid=us-gsa-showcase-catchall&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsaGoxfei3QIVSr7ACh2c6gZfEAQYAiABEgKGo_D_BwE
BQ92
MichaelJ
AG
Mind sharing the recipe?
schmendeler
AG
I used the recipe in Ruhlman's "Charcuterie"

it's a simple cure of salt, pink salt, and white sugar. I also added a bunch of cracked pepper. next time i'll remember to add some brown sugar, too.

I rubbed the belly down with the cure and pepper, then I put it in a vacuum bag for a week in the fridge. flipped it every day, and on the seventh day, I smoked it till an internal temp of 150F.

then chilled it in the fridge. then when I wanted to slice it, I put it in the freezer for about an hour.

http://ruhlman.com/2011/02/the-forgiveness-of-cured-meat-bacon/
MichaelJ
AG
Thanks
Rattler12
schmendeler said:

I used the recipe in Ruhlman's "Charcuterie"

it's a simple cure of salt, pink salt, and white sugar. I also added a bunch of cracked pepper. next time i'll remember to add some brown sugar, too.

I rubbed the belly down with the cure and pepper, then I put it in a vacuum bag for a week in the fridge. flipped it every day, and on the seventh day, I smoked it till an internal temp of 150F.

then chilled it in the fridge. then when I wanted to slice it, I put it in the freezer for about an hour.

http://ruhlman.com/2011/02/the-forgiveness-of-cured-meat-bacon/
That book is awesome ..well worth the purchase. Try the Carolina BBQ sauce on some pulled pork.... incredible. The Tasso Ham, Canadian Bacon and Pastrami recipes are also good
schmendeler
AG
It's definitely one of those books that I think needs to be in your cookbook library.

His recipe for ginger and sage breakfast sausage is also delicious.
normaleagle05
AG
The tasso ham has changed my bean pot game immeasurably!

And it's cheap, fast, and easy.
GSS
I too have been makin' bacon, using various (and similar to the OP) recipes. Then I tried this:

Very pleased, and it's now the go-to seasoning. Plus the cure/pink stuff.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.