Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

What's your favorite tequila for margaritas?

5,980 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AggieBaseball06
Max06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Seems there's lots of discussion about margarita recipes, but not so much of the tequila aspect.

Using standard 3-2-1 recipe, scratch made. Also playing with *****ly pear syrup as substitute for agave/simple syrup.
HTownAg98
El Jimador. It's cheap, but good enough for mixing.
Ornlu
AG
Hornitos Repesado
Bruce Almighty
AG
I always use silver tequila in my margaritas. Anejo is a waste. That's like mixing a nice bourbon with coke. My two favorites are Herradura or Casa Noble.
62strat
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

I always use silver tequila in my margaritas. Anejo is a waste. That's like mixing a nice bourbon with coke. My two favorites are Herradura or Casa Noble.
If you're making for a crowd, sure.. but if enjoying one at home, this is why there is reposado.

I enjoyed arta reposado. it only lasted 7 months.

I did pick up some cabo wabo silver this last may 5th.. it was on sale for $10. At that price, it was great!
Beckdiesel03
AG
+1 El Jimador
Here4Beer
AG
Ornlu said:

Hornitos Repesado

This!
Diggity
AG
Is this like the best beer for a michilada?
GAC06
AG
Max06 said:

Seems there's lots of discussion about margarita recipes, but not so much of the tequila aspect.

Using standard 3-2-1 recipe, scratch made. Also playing with *****ly pear syrup as substitute for agave/simple syrup.

Casamigos, grand marnier, and lime juice. Substitute nothing at all for syrup
CharlieBrown17
AG
Diggity said:

Modelo or don't even bother
Bruce Almighty
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Diggity said:

Modelo or don't even bother

Dude, when you put all that **** in it, you can't tell the difference.
HTownAg98
If you're going to go to the trouble to squeeze limes and using a decent triple sec, use a good but not overly expensive blanco or respasado tequila. El Jimadornis great for that, because it is a straight-forward 100% blue agave tequila. Personally, I like blanco when it is blazing hot outside. Once it cools down some, I sometimes switch to a decent respasado.

If you're wanting to make margaritas for a bunch of people but want something good but won't make you poor, pick something from this list. They are all very good for their price point. https://drinks.seriouseats.com/2014/04/best-tequilas-under-25-budget-spirit-best-affordable-brand-jimador-lunazul-olmeca-tapatio-espolon.html

Then follow this recipe and go with the recipe for budget margaritas. https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/04/classic-margarita-recipe-tequila-cocktail.html
dustin999
AG
HTownAg98 said:

El Jimador. It's cheap, but good enough for mixing.
gigemags87
AG
Done lots of experimentation on this! I make Tommy's Margaritas these days as I like more tequila flavor and less sweet. My preferred tequilas:

1. Don Julio Blanco
2. Fortaleza Blanco
3. Casamigos Anejo
4. Cazul Silver
5. Partida Blanco

Hon mention: Milagro and Cabo Wabo
javajaws
AG
Casa Noble Anejo (with fresh lime and agave syrup)
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

I make Tommy's Margaritas these days
Us, too.
Brush Country Ag
AG
Patron Silver
Bruce Almighty
AG
Casa Noble is the best silver tequila I've ever had.
62strat
AG
HTownAg98 said:

If you're going to go to the trouble to squeeze limes and using a decent triple sec, use a good but not overly expensive blanco or respasado tequila. El Jimadornis great for that, because it is a straight-forward 100% blue agave tequila.

FYI, a tequila can't have any other types of agave except for the blue agave. If the beverage is made from other types of agaves, it is called a mezcal.

Tequila can have up to 49% other sugars besides those from the agave; these are called mixtos.

So saying a tequila with '100% blue agave' is quite redundant. You can just say 100% agave. It is given that it is blue.
CharlieBrown17
AG
You obviously aren't putting enough time and effort into the rest of your ingredients if you'll call them **** with such a cavalier attitude.

No wonder you can't the difference between the Modelo and a far worse beer in yours.
CharlieBrown17
chilidogfood
AG
I like Milagro silver
rlb28
AG
I'm not a food or drink snob at all. I like the Jose Cuervo margarita bottle that already has everything mixed up that you can pour over ice for margarita on the rocks. it's good.
GAC06
AG
No it's not
Stan Crowch
AG
Siete Leguas
Garrelli 5000
AG
I've only recently started making my own so I can't speak to a tequila preference but I can say that making a sweet and sour mix helps a lot for my taste. I make a simple syrup with a rough chopped jalapeo, then mix with a juice from a bunch of lemons and limes.

The pepper isn't really adding heat (I strain it out before adding the juice), but it does add a nice earthiness to the flavor.
Take the trash out staff.
dmart90
AG
El Jimador love here, too.

Here's the approach I've taken lately:

3oz tequila
2oz lime juice
1.5 oz oj

Quite tasty!
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
NoHo Hank
AG
dmart90 said:

El Jimador love here, too.

Here's the approach I've taken lately:

3oz tequila
2oz lime juice
1.5 oz oj

Quite tasty!
jwright4288
AG
I'm a big fan of Don Julio reposado for margaritas
proudtxag
AG
I tried the new Zing Zang margarita mix with Don Julio and it was quite good! The Zing Zang mix is not sweet/sour, it has more of a natural "fresh" taste to it and the Don Julio was very smooth. I bought it as a combo deal at Costco.
John1248
AG
jwright4288 said:

I'm a big fan of Don Julio reposado for margaritas

This.

Hornitos or patron silver work too.
AggieBaseball06
AG
Hussong's... The brown bottle, not the white one.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.