Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

$125-175 Whiskey Recommendations?

3,067 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CharlieBrown17
Testa
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm looking for some recommendations for a good whiskey in the 125-175 dollar range. A coworker needed my help getting a bottle for her husbands anniversary gift since I head into the Houston area often and there's little to no options where we live.

Some that she was interested in trying to find include:

Peerless Straight Rye
EHT four grain
Rock Hill Farms
Or any similar that are recommended

Having trouble finding any of these in the woodlands area which is where I'll be this weekend. And I realize there is an extensive thread here in bourbon but I don't have a ton of time to sift through the 300 pages to find options in that price range.
CharlieBrown17
AG
If you see EHT four grain on the shelf it'll be closer to 300 dollars, that's the only way it would be sitting.

Should be able to do the peerless rye for that, but if that's actually worth it is debatable.
schmendeler
AG
4-5 bottles of knob Creek?
HeightsAg
How about one of the orphaned barrel series like Rhetoric?
BigAg95
AG
I second orphan barrell, it is solid and easy to find. You can do better, but you'd have to get lucky to find something better off the shelf.
John Francis Donaghy
In that price range, her money will go a hell of a lot further for a scotch than it will for a bourbon.

If her husband has any affinity whatsoever for scotch, tell her to track down a GlenDronach Parliament 21 Year. It will put anything mentioned in this thread so far to absolute shame.
djmeen95
AG
Second the scotch recommendation.

Grab a Glenlivet 18 and call it a day. Should only set her back $125.
AggieBarstool
Ditch the bourbon and go for a bottle (or two) of Balvenie of any variety. If you can get Triple Cask, even better.
djmeen95
AG
I will say the challenge comes from the price point. The problem getting something "worth" the money in that range. Heck - a balvenie is $60 and amazing and there's plenty of scotches and whiskeys in that $60-80 range that are great.

Once you make that jump in price for a "special gift" - I'd defer to age statement on a single malt scotch being the wow factor.

Let us know what she went with and what the reaction was!
jh0400
AG
If he's a peat fan, I'd recommend one of Longrow single casks. The Sauternes and Chardonnay are both good and also unique.
schmellba99
AG
Make sure he likes scotch first though. Because scotch sucks.

There are some good Irish whiskies available, and if he's a rum guy there are plenty in that price range that are upper tier rums. Brandy and Armagnac are getting popular as well and there are some high end ones I see on the boards that seem to be very popular.
Ornlu
AG
schmellba99 said:

Make sure he likes scotch first though. Because scotch sucks.
Ditto. If I was gifted a $175 bottle of scotch, I'd ask for a gift receipt...
AlaskanAg99
AG
The hard part isn't the $$$ it's availability of many of the Bourbons listed.

RHF may only be $60 but you will not be able to find it.
jh0400
AG
There is a RHF on BSM now for $115.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Op was looking to buy it local. If BSM is an option that opens a lot more possibilities.
jh0400
AG
Missed that part. The only thing I know for sure that can be found around Houston is Peerless. The other option would be to post a list of asks on HWE. There is a good chance he could land a Blanton's Gold or SFTB with that budget.
Diggity
AG
yeah, don't risk getting the guy a nice bottle of Scotch...fine Brandy is a much safer pick!
djmeen95
AG
What if the guy doesn't like brandy?!?
FlyFish95
Go get a $50 bottle and save the rest of your money. Odds are, it won't be discernibly better, but you can convince yourself it is if you want too.
Cashmoney14
stranahan's colorado whiskey diamond peak is a really good whiskey. They sell it at Twin Liquors for 75-85 a bottle.
wadd96
AG
Y'all do realize there are some of us who are bourbon drinkers who can't stand f*****g Scotch, right?
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
djmeen95
AG
Take it to the Hate Scotch thread
Diggity
AG
when you're giving a gift...it's more about perceived value than anything else.

Fall92
AG
If you're in The Woodlands, hit Ryan's Liquor in Spring off of 45. Great selection and they had Peerless on the shelf last week.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
strohag
AG
Stopped at Total Wine yesterday. There is plenty of bourbon in that price range. Ask for some advice or google reviews while you are at the store. On the rare occasion they may have a bottle open and let you try it.
CharlieBrown17
AG
strohag said:

Stopped at Total Wine yesterday. There is plenty of bourbon in that price range. Ask for some advice or google reviews while you are at the store. On the rare occasion they may have a bottle open and let you try it.

Don't buy anything they try to sell you that has a direct spirits tag under it though.
jh0400
AG
They market Hancock's Reserve under Spirits Direct, and that's some taterific BT MB2 juice.

https://www.totalwine.com/spirits/bourbon/small-batch-bourbon/hancocks-reserve-single-barrel-bourbon-whiskey/p/5350750?mobile-hit=true&userLat=29.6591998357602&userLon=-95.49561920584691
CharlieBrown17
AG
Fair enough but that definitely fits under exception that proves the rule.

Most of it is garbage.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.