Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Anova & Rtic/Yeti Setup

5,447 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by NColoradoAG
redag06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone have any successful anova & rtic cooler setups?
ORAggieFan
Why?
HTownAg98
You shouldn't use a cooler like that for sous vide. Everything inside will turn to ice.

I don't know of a way to make it work without cutting a hole in a cooler. You're better off with a poly carbonate container and a bunch of ping pong balls.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Yeti customer support told me not to use it hotter than 170. I have a joule with the balls and the big clip
redag06
Looking for a vessel large enough for large items like rib roasts.
Ag_07
AG
Just go to Academy and buy a cheap Igloo. That's what I use for my Anova and it works just fine.

• Buy an Igloo the size you need
  • Measure the diameter of the Anova with a string
  • Go to Home Depot and buy a hole saw of the same diameter
  • Drill hole with hole saw in the lid of the Igloo in the location you want (mine's right in the middle)
  • Drop Anova in the hole and your ready to go
True Anomaly
AG
If money is no object, here you go
hph6203
AG
Ag_07 said:

Just go to Academy and buy a cheap Igloo. That's what I use for my Anova and it works just fine.

• Buy an Igloo the size you need
  • Measure the diameter of the Anova with a string
  • Go to Home Depot and buy a hole saw of the same diameter
  • Drill hole with hole saw in the lid of the Igloo in the location you want (mine's right in the middle)
  • Drop Anova in the hole and your ready to go

This. Don't spend money on a cooler for your sous vide. You're better off buying a cheaper cooler and modifying it if you're dead set on using a cooler.
Ag_07
AG
Quote:

This. Don't spend money on a cooler for your sous vide.

He's right.

The device itself will keep the water at the precise temp. That's what it's designed for. I usually cook in a plastic food bin and once at temp it's all good. That's the beauty of sous vide.

The only need for a cooler is simply to have room to cook larger cuts of meat so the insulation factor has nothing to do with it. That makes it pointless to fork up for a cooler to cook in or to cut up a nice insulated cooler.
redag06
Wasn't looking to cut up an Rtic cooler just wondering if anyone had any setups on how to attach the Anova to an rtic for large cooks.
Post removed:
by user
ILikeTacos
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

Yeti customer support told me not to use it hotter than 170. I have a joule with the balls and the big clip

I may be able to attest to this. I used my small yeti to rest a brisket and a pork butt fresh off the smoker wrapped in butcher paper for a couple of hours. While it kept those suckers piping hot up to 4 hours later when I served the lunch and did a fine job of resting the meat, I warped the bottom of the cooler pretty bad.
ILikeTacos
AG
CastleRock said:

Don't use a rotomolded cooler. Buy a cambro.

Cambro 12189CW135 4.75 Gallon Polycarbonate Food Storage Camwear Box

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002NQB63E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_W0TCBbKME8XKZ

And this is what I use for my bigger cooks (steaks for 15-20 people) but beware I have burned up two Anova's doing too big of a vessel. Both were 900 watt models, jumped up to a Sansaire 1100 Watt model and have not had an issue. It doesn't seem as precise and doesn't have any techno gadgets so I think I will move to a Joule next.
redag06
Did you assist the Anova by using hot water? I've read as long as you do that it won't burn out the Anova.
ILikeTacos
AG
redag06 said:

Did you assist the Anova by using hot water? I've read as long as you do that it won't burn out the Anova.
I used hot water out of the tap to fill the vessel if that is what you mean?
NColoradoAG
ILikeTacos said:

CastleRock said:

Don't use a rotomolded cooler. Buy a cambro.

Cambro 12189CW135 4.75 Gallon Polycarbonate Food Storage Camwear Box

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002NQB63E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_W0TCBbKME8XKZ

And this is what I use for my bigger cooks (steaks for 15-20 people) but beware I have burned up two Anova's doing too big of a vessel. Both were 900 watt models, jumped up to a Sansaire 1100 Watt model and have not had an issue. It doesn't seem as precise and doesn't have any techno gadgets so I think I will move to a Joule next.

This is another reason to use a cooler instead of a cambro for large cooks. The insulation of the cooler, especially if you use the lid, will help the lower powered Anova along.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.