Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Steel Cut Oatmeal

2,586 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by rlb28
Fishing Fools
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tried cooking a batch this morning and after 40 minutes, it was STILL undercooked. That was 40 minutes of propane. How do restaurants serve it perfectly cooked in less than 10 minutes?

Asking for a relative!
dummble
AG
instant pot for 3 minutes (ten minutes real time)

Crockpot over night
aggiespartan
AG
Our rice cooker has a setting for steal cut oats. It's an amazing little machine.
Fishing Fools
Make and model please?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Have to start in making it way ahead of time
Matsui
AG
Try overnight oaks. Soak overnight a big batch then finish in the am the portion you need.
aggiespartan
AG
Fishing Fools said:

Make and model please?
This is the one we have. linky

You can set it up the night before and tell it what time to be done. Easy peasy. My husband thought a rice cooker was stupid until we started eating rice and oats from it.
Fishing Fools
Matsui said:

Try overnight oaks. Soak overnight a big batch then finish in the am the portion you need.

Banzai !!!
ElCheAg
AG
Not steel cut, but best oatmeal I've had to date.

Fishing Fools
HEB?
schmendeler
AG
have some cheerios instead.
GIF Reactor
AG
We made the overnight crockpot recipe with blueberries. It was okay, but not worth making all the time.
FarmerJohn
AG
I cook about 3/4 cup of steel cut oats in 3 cups of water at a high simmer, uncovered (to prevent boil over) for 32 minutes. Or thereabouts. Then I add a couple spoonfuls of roller oats depending on how much water was absorbed to get the consistency right. That way the steel cut oats have lots of water to absorb but I can still tighten them up if I want. Total cooking time is 40 minutes.
sangria
AG
I use 3 cups of liquid to 1 cup of steel cut oats, stovetop for about 20 minutes, and they come out delicious every single time.

Steel Cut Oats with Dried Cherries and Almonds from Food and Wine. I sub stewed apples for the cherries and omit the allspice.
MarineAggie95
AG
Ever since we got the Insta Pot I have been using it for my Steel Cut Oats and they come out great each time.
rlb28
AG
jlwalker95 said:

Ever since we got the Insta Pot I have been using it for my Steel Cut Oats and they come out great each time.

This^^ also have experimented with different recipes. Throw in bananas and unsweet applesauce with vanilla, cinnamon and maple syrup.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.