Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Dried herbs and spices

902 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by FIDO*98*
gif
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Has anyone attempted making their own ground herbs and spices? Not buying in bulk and making your own spice blend, but actually dehydrating and grinding.

I was at an event yesterday that had a lady selling homemade spice blends that smelled amazing. You could totally tell the difference between this and store bought spices. However, at $8 for a tiny jar, it seemed a little steep.

Just curious how long it would last on the shelf without preservatives and if it was worth it.
Ornlu
AG
I've done dried oregano, basil, cilantro, rosemary, coriander, chili powder, tyme, mint, and parsley. Just harvest from your garden, and dehydrate. I don't own a dehydrator so I set the oven to 170F and leave the door cracked. Took about an hour to get dry. Once they're dry, crumble with your fingers into the container. For the finer powders (thyme, chili powder, coriander), I hit it with a metal-blade coffee grinder until it's dust - around 2 mins or so.
HTownAg98
I've done rosemary before. It's really easy, just put it on a plate and microwave it until it is dry. Then just store the dry leaves and pulverize them when you want to use it. Rosemary powder goes really well in bbq spice rubs.
FIDO*98*
AG
Dried basil is disgusting. If you want to keep summer basil, blanch it for a few seconds in simmering water then shock it in ice water. Blend it up with water and freeze in ice cube trays.

Works for cilantro and parsley too which are also disgusting when dried. Those are too cheap to bother with doing that so I never do.

Rosemary, thyme, oregano, tarragon, and mint still taste enough like themselves when dried to be edible.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.