Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Sous Vide suggestions, ideas, etc

4,247 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by hph6203
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Shoot me if already posted, but I did a search and didn't see a thread on it. I'm the proud owner of a new sous vide and wanted to see what tips, ideas, off-the-radar things y'all have cooked and whatever else.

I've used it for steak and fish so far.

Y'all sear using cast iron or torch?
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Tri tip will change your life 18-24 hours. I sear with a cast iron usually. I use the torch for small items

I have been making some awesome drinks as well

https://blog.sousvidesupreme.com/2012/10/old-fashioned-bourbon-cordial/
schmendeler
AG
chefsteps.com has a ton of good recipes (including desserts)

I did my thanksgiving turkey one year using their recipe and it was excellent.
bobinator
AG
My god I didn't even consider drinks...
752bro4
AG
re: drinks
I tried the sous vide eggnog last Christmas... hard pass, stick to Alton Brown's eggnog instead.
Belton Ag
AG
bobinator said:

My god I didn't even consider drinks...
and why would you?
HTownAg98
Bacon. Just put the whole package in.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Try having read to go old fashioneds and sazeracs in your fridge and you will know why! I make them 2 liters at a time for parties and have them in jars in the ice chest ready to drink, big hit and great taste. I'd never think of egg nog though.
TX AG 88
AG
here are some previous sous vide threads with recipes and a bunch of people talking out loud as they got/learned to use theirs.

https://texags.com/forums/67/topics/2273978

https://texags.com/forums/67/topics/2723535

also, search https://skillet.lifehacker.com/ for sous vide recipes. There are a bunch of them. The other day my wife was having a hard day at work, so i stopped at HEB on the way home and got some frozen corn, cherry tomatoes, a bell pepper and some pork chops. Seasoned and sealed in a bag, put the whole mess in the water bath at 144* and when she walked in I told her "dinner will be ready in an hour". It was great. It's one of the "sous vide meal in one bag" recipes on there.

Good luck!
bobinator
AG
I don't know why those didn't show up on my search... I was certain there would be threads but when I did a search only a few came up and they were about sales and one specific thread about brisket.
TX AG 88
AG
Yeah, the search function ain't great.

I always use google search with: "site:\https://texags.com/forums/67" and your search term, in this case "sous vide" still not perfect, but better. Not faulting you at all, and hate the "thread already exists" nazis. gig'em!
RAB83
AG

Pesto rubbed flank steak... I'm not a big fan of flank steak. Usually, I'll only use it for fajitas. However, after preparing this way, I might be more of a fan. I seasoned it with lemon pepper and cooked it sous vide to 143 deg F. before finishing it on the grill. Flank steak is a tough piece of meat, so cooking sous vide is important if you want it tender. Once it was off the grill, I rubbed it with pesto (blended olive oil + basil + either cashews or pine nuts + grated Parmesan + garlic salt), sliced, and served. Really easy. Really good.
RAB83
AG

The picture doesn't do this justice. Pork tenderloins cooked sous vide and finished in a pan, topped with a chardonnay cream dijon reduction. The more amazing part was the zucchini pasta and kale salad with chopped tomatoes, Gorgonzola, and walnuts. Who knew kale and zucchini could actually taste good.
RAB83
AG

Starbucks has been selling sous vide egg bites. This is my second attempt at making them. Turned out pretty good. This is bacon and spinach. I also made ham and spinach, and crab and spinach. I can see some possibilities using blue cheese or gorgonzola. I got the recipe from the Anova website.
RAB83
AG

Playing around. I cooked the tenderloins to perfection, sous vide. They topped a fried squash fritter, which was topped with a Greek yogurt enhanced sauce. I poured a melted butter, au jus, garlic, Italian seasoning mix over the steaks and topped with chopped green onions. It's not often that my bride stops and declares, "This is good." She did tonight.
schmendeler
AG
RAB83 said:

It's not often that my bride stops and declares, "This is good."

T&P
Bruce Almighty
AG
Hopefully he's only talking about his cooking.
RAB83
AG
Yeah, it's only about my cooking. I know this is TexAgs, but get your mind out of the gutter.

Doubledown 2447
AG
Risotto is fantastic SV, and it makes the best baby back ribs
Doubledown 2447
AG
Also poached eggs.
"Place fridge-temperature egg in 167 F / 75 C water, and cook for 13 minutes.
This recipe works best for extra-large eggs"
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Tried the egg bites they are money with some bacon, basil leaves from the garden, a couple of grape tomatoes and some pesto from CM.

bobinator
AG
I did the overnight bacon, that was solid. I've mad some ribeyes, some cod, a lot of chicken so far.

Wife is interested in the egg bites, might try those this weekend.
BEaggie08
AG
I am going to try the egg bites this weekend as well. I did the overnight bacon Saturday night/Sunday morning. I only had it in the water bath for about 10 hours. Maybe that wasn't enough, but I still had to cook it on the griddle for a good 10 minutes. May try it once more, but my first go at it wasn't anything special.
chanceg2784
AG
Salmon filets are my personal favorite...
HTownAg98
chanceg2784 said:

Salmon filets are my personal favorite...

This. I skin them and put the skin between two sheet pans and put it in the oven so it gets crispy. Then you get perfectly cooked salmon with a crunchy salmon skin wafer.
HTownAg98
BEaggie08 said:

I am going to try the egg bites this weekend as well. I did the overnight bacon Saturday night/Sunday morning. I only had it in the water bath for about 10 hours. Maybe that wasn't enough, but I still had to cook it on the griddle for a good 10 minutes. May try it once more, but my first go at it wasn't anything special.

The point of it is to tenderize the meat. It still takes the same amount of time, because you have to cook of all the water. What temp did you have for the water bath?

Btw, sous vide bacon cooked in a hot oven causes the fat to bubble and soufle. It's heavenly when you nail it.
Ag_07
AG
Last night we had chili rubbed pork tenderloin topped with some fresh pico

Rubbed 2 tenderloins down with a rub of chili powder, cumin, pepper, oregano, and garlic powder.
Dropped them in the bath at 136 for 1 hr
Seared for a just a couple minutes in a ripping hot cast iron pan

BEaggie08
AG
It was in the bath at 147

I used the Joule - https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/tips-tricks-the-world-s-best-bacon-cooks-allllll-night-long

Just wasn't a fan. I typically do bacon in the oven and am big fan. Sous vide didn't add anything to it for me, if anything, took a little away. To each their own.
BEaggie08
AG
I did sous vide egg bites this morning. So silky and delicious. A+ for those bad boys. Will be making those regularly.
schmendeler
AG
Quote:

silky and delicious
Shelton98
AG
BEaggie08 said:

I did sous vide egg bites this morning. So silky and delicious. A+ for those bad boys. Will be making those regularly.

I did egg bites Monday night and stuck them in the fridge. Fantastic! I don't know if I'll be able to eat them any other way now.
hph6203
AG
The most enjoyable things I've done are creme brle, yogurt and ice cream/frozen custard. Creme Brle and yogurt you still have to heat up on the stove and then transfer to some kind of mason jar(s) and immerse the entire thing into the water bath to get it to set. Yogurt is way easier this way since you don't have to worry about killing the live culture nearly as much.

I would have failed hard at the creme brle or yogurt any other way.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.