Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Grilled pizza is my new go-to

6,446 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Howdy Dammit
fav13andac1)c
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Started making grilled pizza recently and the results have been fantastic.

This recipe will yield 4-5 10 inch pizzas as my grill is only 11x18. Perfect size for a personal. 2 minutes a side on high heat.
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/grilled-pizza-three-ways-recipe-2118405

I use this technique for rolling and proofing
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/09/hacker-free-neapolitan-pizza-for-a-home-kitchen-recipe.html

The work is pretty negligible for homemade pizza too. I would love to try some different recipes to see how they hold up to grilling. Maybe a cold rise or something similar.

Thought I would share because I was ecstatic with how these came out, and I know others will be too. Gig 'em!
chipotle
...uh...
fav13andac1)c
Sorrell Booke
I also make pizza on the grill, but found it so much easier to buy dough from the local pizza shop. This way I can focus on the toppings.

The sell me a ball of dough for $1.00. It makes a 8" pizza easy, if not larger if I stretch it real thin.

What are the best toppings you have put on it? I made a caramelized onion and feta the other day that came out pretty good. I am also playing with a buffalo chicken with alfredo sauce that I haven't quite got right yet.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Those both sound delicious! I get a kick out of making a good dough, so I've been keeping it super simple lately with the toppings. San Marzanos, touch of parm, low moisture mozzarella, fresh basil, salt. Sometimes pepperoni. Really would like to try one with basil pesto instead of tomatoes, with some grilled chicken and mozzarella.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I made the best homemade pizza I've ever had on my egg last week. Creme fraiche, camelized onions, some left over smoked pork belly from the 4th and some queso anejo.
bonfirewillburn
AG
Feta on a pizza?! You should be ashamed........ (sarcasm font) ......but barf!

+1 on asking the local guy for dough, we'll always do it

(Edit, cause I forgot). Pie looks good! Love me some grilled za!
AggieStout
AG
Going to have to try this
Duncan Idaho
bonfirewillburn said:

Feta on a pizza?! You should be ashamed........ (sarcasm font) ......but barf!

+1 on asking the local guy for dough, we'll always do it

(Edit, cause I forgot). Pie looks good! Love me some grilled za!

Pfft what does this guy know./s
Brush Country
We makes smoked pizza in the offset all the time. It's fantastic, and the kids love to help.
AggieSam02
AG
Pillsbury makes a pre-rolled dough on parchment paper that you can find close to the butter in HeB. Freakin awesome. Love firing one on the big green egg. So quick and easy. Peel the package open, sauce, toppings, and onto the egg.
TX AG 88
AG
i have done a few on my kamado smoker, but have had mixed results. The crust often gets soggy and tears in the middle, apparently from the moisture of the toppings. How do y'all prevent that? I like the idea of smoking my own pizza, but have gotten gun-shy.
schmendeler
AG
TX AG 88 said:

i have done a few on my kamado smoker, but have had mixed results. The crust often gets soggy and tears in the middle, apparently from the moisture of the toppings. How do y'all prevent that? I like the idea of smoking my own pizza, but have gotten gun-shy.
my thought would also be, maybe less moisture in your dough?

have you seen this before?

boboguitar
AG
I heat up my left over pizza in a pan.

Try it, it will change your perspective on day old pizza.
TX AG 88
AG
schmendeler said:

TX AG 88 said:

my thought would also be, maybe less moisture in your dough?

have you seen this before?

Thanks for that, the video gave me some things to consider. I don't think moisture content was my issue, as I used both homemade dough and (more often) bought dough from Double Dave's and got similar results. I don't remember all the ingredients I used as toppings, but my suspicion is they were the source. (For example, I don't specifically recall using "low moisture" cheese...) Will have to get back on that horse sometime this summer...
HTownAg98
TX AG 88 said:

It could also be a tomato sauce that is too wet or too much sauce to begin with. Pizza needs a very thin layer of sauce. If ingredients are sliding around easily, you have too much sauce.
TX AG 88
AG
Did a few pizzas with homemade crust the other week after this thread. Did three in a row, and they all came out pretty good!

Then this weekend, I killed my egg-type (Bubba Keg) smoker! I decided to do a couple of take-and-bake pizzas for the kids/grandkids who were coming over to swim. Got the coals started and went to pick up the pizzas. COULDN'T have taken (much if any) more than 30 minutes to get back, and when I did, the temp was up around 1000 degrees! (The temp dial goes to 800, and the needle was WAY past that...).

The side "tables" had melted and pulled thru the screws holding them to the side of the smoker. The screws that held the internal "ledges" that supported the fire box and grate had sheared off clean and the fire box had fallen into the bottom of the smoker. (It was the darndest thing! I don't recall my temps ever coming up that fast, and oviously I regret leaving it wide open and unattended.)

I sealed it up tight (with a tear in my eye) and went inside to turn on the oven. I guess i'm in the market for a new egg/dome/kamado smoker!
chipotle
TX AG 88 said:

The side "tables" had melted and pulled thru the screws holding them to the side of the smoker. The screws that held the internal "ledges" that supported the fire box and grate had sheared off clean and the fire box had fallen into the bottom of the smoker. (It was the darndest thing! I don't recall my temps ever coming up that fast, and oviously I regret leaving it wide open and unattended.)
rule 1
TX AG 88
AG
didn't think of that. will comply (if I can remember). Pics will be a good warning/reminder, now that you mention it!
AggieSam02
AG
I'll take care of you if you are in the Houston area. We sell Big Green Egg, Kamado Joe, and Primo.

www.creekstoneoutdoors.com
713-389-5936
TX AG 88
AG
Thanks, Sam. I may take you up on that, even though I'm in San Antonio, and if I don't find something second-hand in good shape.

Intend to take/post pics tonight.
TX AG 88
AG
Here are the promised pics:

When I got home with the pizza, I saw one of the side tables drooping. As soon as I walked up to the smoker, it dropped onto my deck. Here it is, sitting on top of the smoker, with the ripped out/melted holes showing.

And the bolts that formerly held it on:

I opened the lid (forgot to burp it, but fortunately no conflagration!) and saw the fire "box" had fallen all the way into the bottom of the shell:

Here is the bracket that used to support the firebox and the grill grate:

and one of the sites where that bracket USED to be riveted to the shell:

All three of the brackets' supporting rivets failed and just sheared off:

schmendeler
AG
This is not a ceramic kamado?
TX AG 88
AG
no. it is/was a "Bubba Keg" the precursor to the Broil King Keg smoker. It's double walled steel with insulation inside. I liked it because it would not crack if dropped (never did drop it), had big wheels and a trailer hitch receiver mount.

The Bubba Keg guys sold (the smoker line) out to a Canadian company that discontinued the "Bubba Keg" name (renamed "Big Steel Keg" for broader appeal) and I got mine on clearance from Home Depot. In fact, I got the last one at my HD, so I got the demo model, which was fully assembled (I think maybe they came in kits?) There was a piece missing, so they discounted the clearance price even more. I think the final price to me was $275. i called the company to order the missing piece, and they shipped it to me for free. It was really a great deal! 5+ years later, I'm really sad that I killed it. I had no idea it would get so hot before I got back home. Wish I had closed the dampers somewhat before leaving. O well, lesson learned.
Positive Yardage
AG
I bought the pizza oven attachment for my GMG and it's fantastic. Started with Papa Murphys take home and now on to trying other things too. The stone in the attachment gets really hot so I will throw the cast iron in it to to sear steaks, veggies, do nachos, etc.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Yeah lost some eyebrows and arm hair on a kamado type grill

melted aluminum pan on the journey

JYDog90
AG
I've got a nice scar on my left forearm that reminds me to always burp the Akorn before opening it.
Formerly Willy Wonka
chipotle
Grilling is supposed to be dangerous

SACR
AG
Looks like a small tear on the bottom. Have an issue shaping it and the dough tore?
---------------------------------------------------
"Now you're suggesting uncleanliness during a viral outbreak? What other great ideas you got Typhoid Mary[?]"

jamey, 3/13/20

-------------------------------------------------

"They log into each other's accounts and post. They probably are two different people but that doesn't matter much when you log into other peoples accounts."
Duncan Idaho
Had the rivet thing happen to me as well.
I also managed to turn off all of the paint on the inside

But I've had mine for about 10 years and it is going strong.
Duncan Idaho
It was the big steel keg before it was sold to bubba keg.

I guess they changed the name back.
JimbosHatBarelyFits
AG
I tried this recently, did it with the Pillsbury pre rolled dough. It turned out pretty good. Had anyone tried using a papa Murphys pizza?
AlaskanAg99
AG
We did grilled pizza last night.

We toss the dough to shape, apply a thin layer of pizza.sauxe, then cook it for 5 mins at 650F, bring itnback inside, add more sauce.and toppings, then return to grill.

This helps with the moisture issue from the toppings. Works for us.
aTm '99
SACR
AG

Did you get some nice leopard spots on your crust?
---------------------------------------------------
"Now you're suggesting uncleanliness during a viral outbreak? What other great ideas you got Typhoid Mary[?]"

jamey, 3/13/20

-------------------------------------------------

"They log into each other's accounts and post. They probably are two different people but that doesn't matter much when you log into other peoples accounts."
Howdy Dammit
AG
Might try this out. Always looking for an excuse to grill
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.