Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

San Fransisco recco's

1,475 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by p-wonk01
BigCountryAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wife and I are in San Fran celebrating our 25th anniversary and the HS graduation of our last spawn.

We've been here since Sat pm. and have visited the following restaurants. Will be here all week.
For the most part, been quite pleased with the restaurants but are looking for recommendations.

Been to:
Cappurro's (Italian, outstanding food, typical o.k. italian/sicilan service. Food 8/10, service 6/10.)
Hillstone (part of the Houston's/Bartlett's restaurant group, outstanding food & service 9/10)
Sam's (Tiburon). Legendary place. (food-7/10...service 2/10 on this night. Poor).
Brenda's (New Orlean's-style cuisine...outstanding...9/10 all the way on Father's Day brunch.)
Tartine (French-style bakery...incredible 9/10.)
Mission Beach Cafe (hipster vibe, no-nonsense cafe. great food & service. 9/10.)

Thanks in advance.
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day...DON'T teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man...and fishing's not that hard" - Ron Swanson
BSD
AG
Spruce.
SF has surprisingly good southern food. Check out Hops & Hominy near Union Square or Rusty's in the TL.
John Francis Donaghy
Check out Prospect. Solid food, and great drinks. Same folks that run Boulevard, but much easier to get into on short notice.

If a cocktail called the "Crowned Ginger" is on their menu when you go, get it. It's incredible.
Random Ag
AG
Tomasso's in North Beach
BSD
AG
Another higher end meal we enjoyed was Aster.

Tony's pizza in north beach is damn good too. I have to also recommmend Original Joes since my buddy owns the place.

Dandelion Chocolate is a must if you like dark chocolate. Al the single origin cacao bars are great but the brownies are seriously legit.
duge60
Mona Lisas
Scomas seafood
John Foleys Pub
Cowboy Curtis
AG
BSD said:

Another higher end meal we enjoyed was Aster.

Tony's pizza in north beach is damn good too. I have to also recommmend Original Joes since my buddy owns the place.

Dandelion Chocolate is a must if you like dark chocolate. Al the single origin cacao bars are great but the brownies are seriously legit.

Tony Pizza Napoletana is the best pizza I've ever eaten.
JYDog90
AG
The Slanted Door

Incredible vietnamese food.
ORAggieFan
The House is my favorite and I spend a lot of time in SF.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
The Fly Trap on Folsom (unpretentious tapas style /gastropub)
biobioprof
I like to go to the Tadich Grill in the financial district. There's probably better food but it's a good old-school place that has been there for 160 years. And it's often a place to get Sand Dabs - a small fish that's kind of like sole but IMO even better.

They don't take reservations so there's often a wait... but in SF that's better than trying to get a seat in the trendy places that are booked way in advance.

I haven't been there in a long time, but Greens is a high-end vegetarian place. We met some friends from A&M there on vacation years ago and had a great meal. At the hotel they were staying at they asked for directions to Greens and the concierge, perhaps knowing they were from Texas, kept saying "they don't have meat there, you know?"
Boat Shoes
AG
State Bird Provisions. Trust me, it's killer.
tlfw378
AG
The Cliff House Bistro
Cioppino's
The Pub BBQ
Tex_Ag_2017
AG
Tyler Florence is part owner of a place called "Wayfare Tavern". My wife and I were in San Francisco for 2 days and she kept talking about this place over and over just because she watches the food network. I kind of thought it would be one of those places where people go just because of Tyler Florence. It was one of the best restaurants I have ever been to. The food is so crafty like nothing I have ever had before. The place has a really cool vibe. You definitely need a reservation because there isn't much seating. We got there early and had some drinks at the bar.

Another place that I really enjoyed was "Fog House". They are on the wharf and if you go around lunch time it shouldn't be too crowded and you can wait 15-20 minutes if you like to try and get a seat next to the window. We waited and could see people sailing the whole time we ate. We also had a great view of Alcatraz from our table.

There are also food vendors that are located on the edge of some restaurants facing the street. Any of these has good clam chowder or anything fried.
p-wonk01
AG
biobioprof said:

I like to go to the Tadich Grill in the financial district. There's probably better food but it's a good old-school place that has been there for 160 years. And it's often a place to get Sand Dabs - a small fish that's kind of like sole but IMO even better.

I second this one. It's an experience you need to have at least once. It's all about the Seafood Cioppino and dipping the bread in the fantastic sauce.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.