Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Homemade salsa worth the effort?

7,599 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BigLeroy
bigtruckguy3500
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So I eat a little salsa every day on my eggs, sometimes I'll use it as a quick flavor addition to stuff I'm cooking (rather than chopping and adding the individual ingredients). I like the regular hot chunky salsa you get in the glass jar at the store, as well as the finer stuff that come with chips at mexican restaraunts.

So, the question is, as someone that goes through a couple tablespoons on most days, is it 1) worth the effort to make it at home? 2) does it freeze well? Or would I need to make it often since, as a single guy, I don't go through all that much. 3) Or just continue buying the best bulk deals and just make it for special occasions.

And if I should be making it, anyone have a tasty and quick recipe they suggest?
Ornlu
AG
Ooooooh, tough question. I'm VERY in your shoes.

There's some good salsa in stores: Clint's, Salt Lick, a few others. There's also some BAD salsa in stores: Pace, Mrs Renfros, Jardines, etc. There's also the huge difference between fresh (delicious) and canned (sometimes delicious, sometimes awful) salsa.

It takes me about an hour to make fresh salsa, if I cheat and use canned diced tomatoes instead of fresh + Fresh peppers and onions. I'm really torn about spending $5 for 60oz of fresh homemade salsa vs $4 for 12 oz of good store bought salsa that is 1 hr quicker. To each their own.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Homemade salsa with roasted vegetables is worth it. Just throwing stuff in a blender, not so much.
HTownAg98
I like homemade fresh salsa when you have really, really good tomatoes. Most grocery stores tomatoes suck for fresh salsa, so cooked salsa is better if that's all you have.
I make my fresh salsa with half of a larger serrano pepper, half of a small white onion, some tomatoes, and salt. I buzz it in a food processor to keep it a little chunky. Adjust the heat by adding tomatoes or peppers. It's great on any grilled meats.
theycallmemrtibbs
That Julio's salsa you can buy at HEB in the chilled section near the sour cream is pretty amazing. It's more restaurant style than chunky but it's pretty damn delicious.
Max Power
AG
All I have in the house is homemade salsa, depending on what mood I'm in I will either do all fresh, roasted, grilled, etc. It's really easy and better than what you can get in the store.

Tomatoes or tomatillos
Onion
Garlic
Jalapenos or serranos
Cilantro
Lime
Salt

I will also add cumin, ancho, or chili powder/chipotle powder.
Ornlu
AG
Do you ever add the lime zest too?
GSS
Maybe (likely) the roasted aspect would help, but the many jars we put up from just "fresh" tomatoes, onion, jalapenos, and other spices is consume and enjoyed rapidly. A lot of missing jars due to "can I please have a jar...please?"
NRA Life
TSRA Life
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Max's recipe is exactly the same as mine. Blend it to desired chunkiness and I've got about the equivalent of 4 jars worth for about $3.
JCA1
AG
I second this. Put 2 cans of tomatoes in blender with half an onion, a jalapeo (or 2), handful of cilantro, juice of a lime, and some salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cumin. Blend to desired consistency and done. Much better than most store bought salsas.
Txmoe
AG
theycallmemrtibbs said:

That Julio's salsa you can buy at HEB in the chilled section near the sour cream is pretty amazing. It's more restaurant style than chunky but it's pretty damn delicious.
Agreed but it's like getting punched in the junk with garlic which, apparently, I like.
DiskoTroop
Wife insisted on making homemade salsa last night with dinner...

It wasn't worth it.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
I make homemade salsa every week. Don't think I have bought salsa in a decade. Think it's absolutely worth it.
tailgating hall of fame
I make home made salsa, put it on everything, and sell it at my roadside peach stand on the weekends. IMO, home made is always better than store bought.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I make 25-30 jars of salsa every summer from what I grow in my garden. I use roasted tomatoes, garlic, jalapeno, arbol peppers, cilantro and salt. The only thing I don't grow is the garlic. Fresh tomatoes is the key. I also think roasting the ingredients makes it better.
Tailgate88
AG
Absolutely worth it and so easy. At the farmer's market yesterday I bought a "salsa kit" which had three different kinds of tomato's, a couple small onions, and a few jalapeos. I actually subbed Serranos because my wife is allergic to japs. Peeled the onions, quartered them along with the maters, threw in about eight cloves of peeled garlic. Toss it all in canola oil and broiled for 10-15 min until everything is starting to blister. Let it cool a bit then in the food processor it goes with a tsp of salt, tap of cumin, 1/2 bunch of cilantro stems removed, juice of a couple limes. Remove the stems and seeds of the Serrano and add one or two to start. From there add more peppers or lime or salt to taste. It always disappears fast when it comes out! I made enough for today too.

bcasey03
AG
Take equal parts tomatoes, tomatillos, and jalapenos, broil/grill/roast/whatever until cooked and soft.

Put it all in blender/food processor except for the pepper stems. Add salt and garlic. Thats all.

Add cumin/lime juice/cilantro/other stuff according to preference.
HDeathstar
I always peel the tomato skins off after roasting. Better consistency. Same reason for removing the cilantro stems.

Tailgate is off to a good start.
DTP02
AG
How long does homemade salsa stay at peak taste for, and are there any tricks to increasing longevity?
HTownAg98
Cook it and increase the acid and salt. Can it if you have the ability to do so. You can add 1/4 teaspoon of citric acid to each pint jar. Process in a water bath for 20 minutes.
Long Live Sully
AG
Where is your peach stand?
tailgating hall of fame
Altair, TX - intersection of hwy. 71 and alternate 90
Long Live Sully
AG
Thanks... Out of my travels, but I love good peaches.
chico
AG
Try a molcajete instead of a blender. The texture is much better- I grind up the chiles, onions garlic and tomatoes in there. I agree with roasting everything and removing skins.
nai06
AG
chico said:

Try a molcajete instead of a blender. The texture is much better- I grind up the chiles, onions garlic and tomatoes in there. I agree with roasting everything and removing skins.
I was gifted one several years ago and it make a huge difference. The biggest area is being able to better control texture.

My recipe is as follow

4-6 small or roma tomatoes or 10-12 tomatillos
2-3 jalapenos
1-2 garlic cloves
1 spring onion bulbs
coarse salt
cilantro
lime

-roast all the veggies on a comal until they are blackened and softened.
-cut the stems off the jalapenos and tomatoes and cut into quarters.
-grind the garlic and some salt
-grind in the jalapenos with some salt
-quarter the onion bulb and grind it in with a little more salt
-slowly add the tomatoes working the temolote until the desired texture is achieved
-add some lime juice to taste and stir with a wooden spoon

Keeps for at least a week in the fridge.
Tailgate88
AG
fav13andac1)c said:

I make a really simple and fresh avocado-tomatillo salsa that I got from Foodwishes that is ABSOLUTELY worth it. Takes less than 15 minutes and it is fantastic. I don't typically follow this recipe to the T anymore, just kind of grab all the basic ingredients and adjust when blending to get the right balance of lime, salt, and cilantro.

Good with chips, any type of meat, eggs, etc. Usually gone in 1.5 sittings.

I'm making that soon!!
Larry S Ross
AG
theycallmemrtibbs said:

Ive seen Julio's out now in the sealed glass jars that doesn't have to be refrigerated until opened. Only saw it once on an separate rack by itself. Maybe just a trail run to see if people prefer.

I make fresh salsa weekly. Similar to these recipes, but keep Julio's as well.
HTownAg98
If Julio's could get the raw garlic under control, it would be my favorite fresh salsa, hands down.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Tailgate88 said:

fav13andac1)c said:

I make a really simple and fresh avocado-tomatillo salsa that I got from Foodwishes that is ABSOLUTELY worth it. Takes less than 15 minutes and it is fantastic. I don't typically follow this recipe to the T anymore, just kind of grab all the basic ingredients and adjust when blending to get the right balance of lime, salt, and cilantro.

Good with chips, any type of meat, eggs, etc. Usually gone in 1.5 sittings.

I'm making that soon!!
Nice! Why did staff delete my post?
Max Power
AG
Switched up my go to this week and swapped out the fresh peppers for some arbol chiles. Turned out awesome, toasted about a half ounce in a dry pan, rehydrated for a half hour, blended it up with the rest and it turned out great. If you haven't played around much with dried peppers I recommend it. I use whole ancho chiles in my fajita marinade and that discovery was a game changer.
Tailgate88
AG
I have No idea?
who?mikejones
AG
It takes me about 10 minutes to make some delicious homemade fresh salsa. Its not rocket science.

I sometimes roast the veggies which takes more time but still not a huge commitment.
Demosthenes81
AG
tailgating hall of fame said:

Altair, TX - intersection of hwy. 71 and alternate 90
Used to pass through there all the time going from Waco to El Campo. Haven't been through there in years though.
Seven and three are ten, not only now, but forever. There has never been a time when seven and three were not ten, nor will there ever be a time when they are not ten. Therefore, I have said that the truth of number is incorruptible and common to all who think. — St. Augustine
BigLeroy
AG
Diddo to "Max's recipe is exactly the same as mine."

Only thing I suggest when it comes to tomatoes (if they don't come out of your garden) is buying Whole Peeled Tomatoes in the can. They are better than any other kind of canned tomato for salsa. Very fresh tasting and the salsa can be ready to go literally in less than 5 minutes.

Store bought - I too am a fan of Clint's (the hot version).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.