Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Dried Sausage

1,641 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by tsuag10
Tex_Ag_2017
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is it possible to dry raw sausage that you buy at the store or do you have to actually make sausage that has lots of salt in it to cure it. I get dried sausage done every year deer hunting season and I really like it but I usually run out. I have a good smoker and was wanting to find a semi-easy way of doing it. I am not equipped to grind meat or put meat into a casing.
Thanks in advance.
schmendeler
AG
I think the dried sausage will need more salt, but also the pink salt to help reduce bacterial growth. that said, I wouldn't try to do it without some decent research first.
flashplayer
AG
It's not necessary to use that salt. It will stay fine with regular salt. Your drying conditions are what can really set you up for failure.
HTownAg98
That curing sat will save you from a nasty case of botulism should your drying conditions not be perfect.
Learn it, love it, use it.
flashplayer
AG
Yes, I don't dispute the drying conditions are of utmost importance. If you have a competent understanding of microbiology, you can avoid botulinum toxin and other toxins and spoilage without using that salt. Plenty of folks made sausage for hundreds if not thousands of years without the special pink salt.
schmendeler
AG
what's the objection to using it? I'm not sure I understand.
flashplayer
AG
Not an objection, just a taste preference.
Tex_Ag_2017
AG
I'm just trying to avoid making my own sausage because of time and equipment. I am not trying to get answers on what to put into your own sausage recipes.
HTownAg98
I wouldn't do it just because you don't know what all is in it.
drred4
If I want some dried sausage, I usually take my smoked sausage and throw it in my fresh meats deli drawer in refrig with it left open a few inches. Takes a week or so to dry. Have it laying on a paper bag. Works great. How my grandpa would do it if he wanted some every now and then.
Martin Cash
AG
Tex_Ag_2017 said:

I'm just trying to avoid making my own sausage because of time and equipment. I am not trying to get answers on what to put into your own sausage recipes.
HEB
Beckdiesel03
AG
We used to make our own. Spent about $100 in plywood for the smokehouse and borrowed a friends window unit ac. We had the grinder. Used the pink salt. It was a lot of work but this was before kids. I happily pay the processor now and the price of the stupid food saver bags is insane as well.
tsuag10
AG
I certainly wouldn't risk it unless it's going to be for just you. Don't feed it to young children or elderly.

If you keep it cold, then cook it well, and keep it cold while drying you should be ok. At all times, it needs to avoid the temperature danger zone (40-140 F) to prevent growth of Clostridium botulinum. It needs to be very dry; inside and out. If it doesn't get dry enough, it's not safe to be kept at room temperature. Even then, I would store it in the refrigerator just to be safe.

I definitely wouldn't do it without cooking it before drying. Even at that, it is a risk.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.