Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Help me like IPAs?

4,062 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by The_Waco_Kid
claytonwakefield06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Let me start by saying this isn't a dig at any of you IPA nuts at all...

Context: I've only tried all of maybe 4 IPAs and for the life of me, they just taste like (rather bad) beer mixed with dish soap. I don't typically mind strong/bitter flavors - I like my coffee black, my whiskey neat, and rarely find something "spicy" to be that hot... so why is it that I can't stand IPAs?

I know taste is purely subjective and people like what they like and don't what they don't. That said, really want to like them but maybe they just aren't my thing? Maybe it's a mental thing? Like when the label says light, fruity, and refreshing, I'm expecting... well... light, fruity, refreshing... but I take a sip and get pure Palm Olive. If this is the new standard for light, fruity, and refreshing, no wonder some of y'all say Bud/Miller/Coors lite tastes like water.

Are there good intro IPAs to hop into (terrible pun) or they simply one of those things you either like or you don't?

jah003
S
Find a NEIPA and thank me later. I think Sierra Nevada makes one, might be a good intro.
Matsui
AG
Try some beginner less funky ones and check their hoppyness rating. Then go from there.
aggiespartan
AG
I don't like many IPAs, but if you can find Blind Pig, it's really good.
The Milkman
AG
I definitely know what you mean about that soapy taste. I used to get it a lot, but I think I wasn't making good IPA decisions. The best one youll find is Lone Pint Yellow Rose. It is absolutely fantastic
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
There are good ones and bad ones. The New England style IPAs are less bitter. The IBU numbers on some of them are misleading. My current favorite if you're in Texas is Karbach hop delusion. It has an IBU of over 100 but it's hop profile is more on the juicy side and definitely isn't bitter. It is balanced by high alcohol content and mango and is delicious. It's a seasonal brew so it may be hard to find. Karbach Hopadillo is a little more traditional but still good and may be easier to find. Dog Fish Head 60 minute IPA is good, 90 minute will be more biter. Sierra Nevada makes some good ones too. Go to the liquor store and put together a mix 6 pack and try a few.
Tom Hagen
AG
Grow a neck beard.
schmendeler
AG
I suggest a new England style, or "hazy" style. they are very floral but not as bitter. I don't care for regular IPAs as a general rule, but these are not too bad.

I found Abita's "Hop On" to be tasty.
TXAG 05
AG
Drink what tastes good to you and don't worry about what a bunch of nerds want you to like.
soso33
Go to HEB and look for Lone Pint Yellow Rose. Taste and smell the freshness and the grapefruit and citrus imparted by the mosaic hops. Something about this beer that never fails to satisfy.
ORAggieFan
Ease in with Pale Ales. Dale's is a great one you should be able to get anywhere. .394 by Alesmith is outstanding, but probably harder to get in TX.
jgh85Ag
AG
I bought a six pack of an IPA on the recommendation of the guy at the beer store. I felt that I drank them all but there are still 2 left.
AggieChemist
AG
You can definitely acquire a taste. I remember just about gagging on a double simcoe IPA about 12 years ago. Serve me that beer today and I probably love it.

Even my wife prefers IPAs now to "regular" beers. She's not a hop head, but a nice crisp, citra or cascade-forward session IPA is her favorite.

You may not want to bother learning to appreciate them because it can change your palate. Malty, sweet beers I enjoyed beforeI discovered hoppy beers don't even taste good to me anymore.

schmendeler
AG
also, a milder beer first, followed by something with more punch can make it easier as well.
Ulrich
After trying a couple dozen hoppy beers I've decided I'm never going to develop a taste. I'll stick to what I enjoy.
turfman80
AG
And yes, I am going to be THAT GUY. Check the can or bottling date on IPA's . The older they get, the hop profile fades and the malt dominates, resulting in the dreaded malt bomb. Yellow Rose is one that tends to fade fairly fast. Two months old is about my limit on IPA's, Your mileage may vary.
bam02
AG
ORAggieFan said:

Ease in with Pale Ales. Dale's is a great one you should be able to get anywhere. .394 by Alesmith is outstanding, but probably harder to get in TX.

This was going to be my advice. I've actually gone back to where drinking more pale ales than ipas. They still offer variety but are more consistent than ipas to me. I rarely find a new pale ale I don't like but I can often find an ipa I hate.
Ornlu
AG
Deschutes "Fresh Squeezed" and Stone's "Enjoy by" are good intro's, IMO.
bushytailed
AG
Karbach's Big & Bright grapefruit ipa
CMP-00-
AG
I second the recommendation to try a "hazy" New England style IPA. Even better, try a Georgia Style IPA - Creature Comforts Tropicalia is the IPA that changed my mind on IPAs. These are typically more "juicy" and fruit-forward (grapefruit, Meyer lemon, passionfruit) and less bitter than most IPAs I've had elsewhere. I also really enjoy Sierra Nevada's suite of offerings. "Hazy Little Thing" is a very drinkable IPA.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
schmendeler
AG
I had a "hazy" at great divide in Denver a few weeks back that was quite good. so if you can find that, give it a try.
AggieOO
Sometimes, you just don't like something, and that's ok.

I've been told hundreds of times that I haven't had the right IPA or that I'll acquire the taste. Neither is true. I just don't like IPAs. I can tell the difference between a good and bad one. I can drink one...its not like they make me gag, but I don't enjoy them. That said, I still taste a lot of IPAs just in case...ive had hundreds, including many of the renowned IPAs, and still never found one I enjoy.

Why force yourself to drink something you don't like when there are so many other styles available?
schmendeler
AG
AggieOO said:

I've been told hundreds of times that I haven't had the right IPA or that I'll acquire the taste. Neither is true. I just don't like IPAs. I can tell the difference between a good and bad one. I can drink one...its not like they make me gag, but I don't enjoy them. That said, I still taste a lot of IPAs just in case...ive had hundreds, including many of the renowned IPAs, and still never found one I enjoy.

Why force yourself to drink something you don't like when there are so many other styles available?
I agree with this. I will never pick an IPA as my first choice. but, if at a brewery, or a bar with a great selection and having "several", then I do enjoy that I can partake of something different when they might not have anything of the usual style I like. taste flexibility is nice. I think trying to find things that you can enjoy is good. but yeah, it's not worth sweating over, either..
AustinCountyAg
Hopadillo is a greater starter one. I'm no beer snob and I can probably count the different IPA's I've had on one hand but I love the Dillo. Very tasty
khkman22
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Hopadillo is a greater starter one. I'm no beer snob and I can probably count the different IPA's I've had on one hand but I love the Dillo. Very tasty
I like most IPAs, along with Hopadillo. However, I don't think this is one he needs to try to get himself to like them. IMO, he should start with the session IPAs, even over pale ales. Some pale ales can be fairly hoppy and somewhat bitter as well. The session IPAs are generally like a more flavorful (and bitter) blonde beer.
AggieOO
if you want to like an IPA, go find a bottle of dogfish 120 and let it age for 2-3 years.

At that point, the hops fall off and you are basically drinking a barleywine.
Drewmeister
AG
claywakefield06 said:

Let me start by saying this isn't a dig at any of you IPA nuts at all...

Context: I've only tried all of maybe 4 IPAs and for the life of me, they just taste like (rather bad) beer mixed with dish soap. I don't typically mind strong/bitter flavors - I like my coffee black, my whiskey neat, and rarely find something "spicy" to be that hot... so why is it that I can't stand IPAs?

I'm curious, what is your opinion on cilantro? I ask because it's fairly well-known there is a genetic component to tasting cilantro, where people with (or was it without?) the gene find cilantro to taste very unpleasant, like soap.

This is very much anecdotal evidence, but among several friends I've discussed this with, there is a direct correlation in opinions on cilantro and hoppy beer, especially the "fruity" hop varieties commonly used in IPAs now like Citra and Amarillo. People who love cilantro, hate it, or just find it "meh" have the same opinion on IPAs. Personally, I love both.

The New England/hazy style is indeed less bitter, but if you're "allergic" to the flavor compounds in hops they may not do it for you either. Still, I'd recommend trying more than four beers before writing off an entire genre.

Recommendations:
  • Oasis Meta Modern session IPA - as a session beer it's lighter strength, but still very flavorful
  • St. Arnold Art Car IPA - nice clean/crisp west-coast style, they really upped their game with this one
  • 11 Below Hipster Sauce - I expected this to suck, based on the name, but it's actually pretty good. Not quite a full-on NEIPA but definitely in that direction.
  • NOLA Hoppyright Infringement - one of the better New England-style IPAs I've had that you can readily purchase (otherwise this list would just be Heady Topper and Pliny the Elder, but that wouldn't be terribly useful)
AggieOO
I LOVE cilantro, dislike IPAs.
khkman22
AG
Drewmeister said:

I'm curious, what is your opinion on cilantro?

Bruce Almighty
AG
AggieOO said:

I LOVE cilantro, dislike IPAs.

#MeToo
TXAG 05
AG
Hate cilantro, like IPAs, although I've never detected any "fruity" flavors in one.
Post removed:
by user
schmellba99
AG
AggieOO said:

This. If it tastes like sht (and IPA's do, they weren't created for flavor but rather so they could survive a boat ride halfway around the world - because in India in the 1800's, crap alcohol is better than none), why bother to try to enjoy sht?

There are a thousand other options available. Find one you like, enjoy the hell out of it and let the neckbeards go neckbeard while you use them for entertainment.
beb06
AG
It has taken me several years to acquire a taste for IPAs, but I do enjoy them now. Some of my favorites include Lone Pint Yellow Rose, Deschutes Fresh Squeezed, and Community Mosaic.

And I love Cilantro.
CrottyKid
AG
Why would you want to make yourself like something?

IPAs taste like chewing on pine needles and citrus peels.

We live in an age of fast transport, and no one needs to multiply the amount of hops to make sure their beer stays fresh.

If you don't like the taste, don't worry about it. Drink what you like.

My favorite beer is Spotted Cow from New Glarus Brewery in Wisconsin, and I don't care if anyone else likes it.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.