Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Deviled eggs

3,667 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Max Power
AggieChemist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have had several "gourmet" deviled eggs lately that have been fantastic and rekindled my love for the oft-peddled, potluck also-ran.

I have actually never made them myself. Is there a "standard" recipe for the yolk stuffing? I've got lots of ideas for things to dress them with, from med-rare steak and horseradish to smoked steelhead or anchovies.

Hit me with a good base recipe or other ideas.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I like putting brisket in my deviled eggs or doing them with pimento cheese
rhoswen
AG
I got a recipe from txdragonfly ages ago that uses adobo sauce, chipotles, & bacon. Always a hit.

Basic yolk filling i guess is yolks, mayo, mustard, salt, pepper, paprika.
schmendeler
AG
rhoswen said:

I got a recipe from txdragonfly ages ago that uses adobo sauce, chipotles, & bacon. Always a hit.

Yeah just do this. More mayo than mustard for my tastes. I also liked dill pickle relish.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Fresh dill on basic deviled eggs is pretty tasty.
Garrelli 5000
AG
I like pimento cheese and put some bacon top.
Take the trash out staff.
AggieChemist
AG
I'm gonna make a dozen tonight after work. Right now I'm thinking mayo and a little brown mustard plus a couple tablespoons of butter in the base filling.

Adobo sounds interesting for sure. Fresh dill would be great, too. I think we have some dill in the garden. I'll have to check and see if the deer have left me any.
schmendeler
AG
Butter and Mayo?
AggieChemist
AG
schmendeler said:

Butter and Mayo?
Butter and mayo go together just fine. Butter and eggs go together even better. I found it on some gal's blog so I'll try it. Since I'm keto, anywhere I can slip a few extra fats in are good for me.

If it turns out lousy I won't repeat it.
schmendeler
AG
AggieChemist said:

schmendeler said:

Butter and Mayo?
Butter and mayo go together just fine. Butter and eggs go together even better. I found it on some gal's blog so I'll try it. Since I'm keto, anywhere I can slip a few extra fats in are good for me.

If it turns out lousy I won't repeat it.
I'm sure it will taste fine. just thinking of butter and mayo both being mixed into egg yolks. maybe add some beef tallow and lard?
AggieChemist
AG
Butter, mayo and lard would be off the chain.
schmellba99
AG
A good deviled egg is the shiznit. Love them. Especially when topped with something like thick cut home made bacon that is cooked just right, or a fried oyster.

Don't go heavy on the mustard with the filling, the egg yolks need a sweeter hit (mayo and a smidge of sweet relish) IMO or it becomes way too overpowering.

Brisket on deviled eggs:

DiskoTroop
Knocked off Underbelly's soy soaked eggs the other day... Turned out REALLY good...

Used this recipe:

https://www.ruled.me/soy-sauce-marinated-deviled-eggs/
DiskoTroop
schmendeler said:

rhoswen said:

Yeah just do this. More mayo than mustard for my tastes. I also liked dill pickle relish.

Try dicing up candied jalapeos for a little different kick but still have that familiar relish mouth feel.
schmendeler
AG
phideaux_2003 said:

schmendeler said:

rhoswen said:

Try dicing up candied jalapeos for a little different kick but still have that familiar relish mouth feel.
I could go with that.
HTownAg98
Mashing avocado into the yolks is good too, and it makes for a green egg.
Southpaw 07
AG
Rendered bacon fat (from cooking it) mixed into the yolks with some cooked bacon crumbled on top. Bacon fat replaces part of the mayo, ~1tbsp per 6 eggs.
schmendeler
AG
phideaux_2003 said:

Knocked off Underbelly's soy soaked eggs the other day... Turned out REALLY good...

Used this recipe:

This looks very interesting.
normaleagle05
AG
I made my first batch a few years ago for a holiday gathering of family at my grandmother's. I was nervous because this was the house of the woman who'd made 70% of the deviled eggs I'd ever eaten and created my (and everyone around me) expectation of what a deviled egg was. They were awesome. Everyone, especially grandma, raved about them.

That experience taught me that they're stupid simple. Use good quality ingredients and dont over cook the eggs. Everyone in my family overcooks eggs in every application and demands I over cook their eggs when cooking for them. We'll, they can't tell I didn't cook the **** out of them when I've whipped the yolks into a delicious, near foam like, filling for the perfectly cooked white. Ha!

I think fresh homemade mayonnaise is the other big ticket to success. Egg yolk, mayo, salt, pepper, a bit of brown and Dijon mustard, minced pickle, screw that relish nonsense, minced green onion, bit of minced and smashed garlic, whip it pretty good to get some air in there. Pipe into the whites. I like to kick up the traditional paprika topping with ~3/1/1 parts paprika/ancho/cayenne.
DiskoTroop
schmendeler said:

phideaux_2003 said:

Used this recipe:

This looks very interesting.

UB's were excellent. Mine were pretty close. It's definitely a nice twist on a classic that doesn't lose the classic taste of a deviled egg.
Furlock Bones
AG
one of my favorite deviled eggs is at Liberty Kitchen in Houston. fried oysters on top. been way too long since i was at Liberty.

Tailgate88
AG
We mix in chopped pickled japs and chopped crispy bacon. Nom nom nom
htxag09
AG
Pappa Bros' lobster deviled eggs are by far the best I've ever had. I'm not ashamed to clean the jar when we're done....
schmendeler
AG
htxag09 said:

Pappa Bros' lobster deviled eggs are by far the best I've ever had. I'm not ashamed to clean the jar when we're done....

Yeah they're pretty incredible
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
My standard is miracle whip, a little mustard, sweet relish, and a little lime juice. Pretty basic. Sometimes spice it up a little with some cayenne.

Recently tried deep frying the whites with a panko batter for an added crunch, they were delish
AlaskanAg99
AG
Crawfish Deviled Eggs

I made these last Christmas for my Homebrew Club Christmas Party and they were devoured.

http://www.thefifthtine.com/2011/02/nola-crawfish-stuffed-deviled-eggs.html/

Tails are mixed into the yoke, it's just not a tail on top.
schmendeler
AG
I think we can all agree that just about any decently conceived deviled egg will be delicious. they are just highly underrated as a food item.
Max Power
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.