Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

What's your favorite non-traditional grilling/smoked foods?

5,503 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jtp01
Joe Exotic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Everyone likes steak, burgers, ribs, brisket, chicken, etc. But lately I've found myself in a rut. Need some "outside the box" ideas for some grilled meats.
AggieOO
What do you mean? Like squirrel? Possum?
Joe Exotic
AG
No, not game or wild meats. Just different things to grill. For example, instead of a grilled ribeye maybe something like a flank steak prepared a certain way.
TennAg
I'll grill/smoke flat iron steaks on my egg shaped device to a medium rare, then slice and serve with a wine or balsamic glaze and some fresh parsley or similar. It's probably the best bang for your meat buck out there.

Oak has been my favorite chunk to add for this fwiw
HTownAg98
Tri tip or leg of lamb. And I love serving them with a board sauce.
aggiedata
AG
alright , i'm going to say this. (not a meat I know, but you need dessert) Angel Food Cake grilled is wonderful. We do it for Memorial Day and the Fourth.

Grilled Strawberry Shortcake Kebabs

We always get rave reviews, plus that's one more item I get to do on the grill.. Dessert!
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Peaches and pineapples
Bruce Almighty
AG
Oysters
Redfish or snapped on the half shell
Brats braised in beer and sauerkraut
Yakitori ribs
spud1910
AG
Salmon
HTownAg98
You can buy the Mexican style cross cut beef short ribs (costillas de res) at a Mexican meat market, but I find that I like them cut a little thicker. The ones you can get at heb are cut just right for me. Get those and a shaker of the red fajita seasoning that you can get a a Mexican meat market. Season them and let them sit overnight. You can straight up grill them, but I like to smoke them low for about an hour and a half, and then sear them at the end.
rhoswen
AG
Fruit... cantaloupe, watermelon, pineapple, peaches, mango

I LOVE grilled tomatoes.

Grill potatoes, use them in a bbq potato salad.
RGV AG
AG
What Htown said is gospel.

We also love "mollejas", or sweetbreads. Just ask for them at the Mexican meat market. Dump them in a beer/water/seasoning mix and boil for 10 min or so. Take out and let cool, then slice them into grill size strips and reseason and grill until crispy. They are wonderful.
schmendeler
AG
I've really enjoyed a short smoke of pork tenderloin. Just smoked until it reaches 140. Super juicy and tender with a nice hit of smoke. I put the same rub I use for pork shoulder on it.
Duncan Idaho
Grilled Compressed watermelon is out of this world awesome.
Grilled pineapple is just as good.

Chocolate chip cookies cooked on a kamodo are on point.
schmendeler
AG
Does it compress with a food saver?
Cancelled
AG
Mollejas are amazing. I'd boil longer than 10 mins though.

I did beef shanks last night. Smoked a boy 2 hours and then Sous Vide in bone broth for 2 hours.
Max Power
AG
Smoked chuck roast is outstanding, highly recommend giving that a shot if you've never tried.
HTownAg98
RGV AG said:

We also love "mollejas", or sweetbreads. Just ask for them at the Mexican meat market. Dump them in a beer/water/seasoning mix and boil for 10 min or so. Take out and let cool, then slice them into grill size strips and reseason and grill until crispy. They are wonderful.

I may have to try this.
What do you reseason them with? Also, do you press them? A lot of French recipes for sauted sweetbreads call for weighing them down and letting them cool to firm up the texture a little.
Ag MD 84
AG
Cedar plank salmon, grilled corn on the cob, flank steak w/ chimichurri, grill tomatoes or tomatillos plus onions and peppers and make salsa
ursusguy
AG
Smoked venison backstrap......amd oddly enough, tofu.
Superdave1993
AG
Smoked bologna or meatloaf are two of the non-standard ones I like to cook.
Long Live Sully
AG
Lobster

Butter, salt, garlic, butter.
Cancelled
AG
HTownAg98 said:

RGV AG said:

I may have to try this.
What do you reseason them with? Also, do you press them? A lot of French recipes for sauted sweetbreads call for weighing them down and letting them cool to firm up the texture a little.

Nope. Just boil them in salted water for about 45-60 mins. Season then however you want, fajita seasoning, brisket run, Tony's, whatever. Grill/smoke til they tear apart and aren't stringy.

My kids love them and they are so healthy for you, loaded with fat, nutrients and cholesterol.
80sGeorge
AG
As of this wkd, and thanks to the OB, smoked pork belly burnt ends.
schmellba99
AG
Tuna steaks, dolphin steaks, swordfish, pizza, a good flank steak that is seared hot and med rare is an overlooked gem IMO. Pork belly burnt ends are fantastic.

Oddly I've never done a rack of lamb, keep thinking about picking one up next time I'm at costco and giving it a shot.

Lobster is overrated, but it's a good change of pace at times and a smoked lobster with a finish sear isn't bad at all and definitely preferable to boiling.

I've heard cookies are really good on a kamado, haven't tried those yet.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Dolphin steaks? Or are you talking about mahi mahi?
schmellba99
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Dolphin steaks? Or are you talking about mahi mahi?
Yes, pc term mahi-mahi. Dolphin fish.
HTownAg98
I've thought of a couple more.
Eye of round roast cooked medium rare and sliced paper thin. Go easy on the smoke and cook it slowly.
Venison backstrap cooked to the rare side of medium rare.
Grilled corn to make elotes.
Jet Tila's Thai Grilled Chicken.
The jerk chicken from the OB.
normaleagle05
AG
schmendeler said:

I've really enjoyed a short smoke of pork tenderloin. Just smoked until it reaches 140. Super juicy and tender with a nice hit of smoke. I put the same rub I use for pork shoulder on it.

Costco has twin two packs of pork tenderloin. I brine for two hours and then smoke to 140 internal temp on the egg with whatever seasoning mix strikes my fancy. Excellent!
schmendeler
AG
Uncle Chris' is really good!
Mathguy64
AG
I seared a garlic and peppercorn pork loin on the BGE last night with some grilled corn on the cob. Wrapped them in foil with butter, cooked on the grill, then out of the foil to finish and sear them sprinkled with lime salt (salt and fresh grated lime peel, left in fridge for a couple of days to marry). Added a ceasar salad. Finished with grilled pineapple.
RK
AG
the rotisserie add-on for the kamado smokers is killer for pork loins. allows the fat cap to continually baste the rest of it. one of the best things i've done. especially if you "roll" out the loin, layer in some goodies and roll back up and truss it before going on.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I use the rotisserie to make al pastor
schmendeler
AG
RK said:

the rotisserie add-on for the kamado smokers is killer for pork loins. allows the fat cap to continually baste the rest of it. one of the best things i've done. especially if you "roll" out the loin, layer in some goodies and roll back up and truss it before going on.

You mean the big one, right? (Not the tenderloin)
RK
AG
yea, the one you get at costco that looks like a vacuum packed elephant D.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.