Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Hamburger buns, what's the best you can get?

4,234 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by 91AggieLawyer
MosesHallRAB83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking for a good source. Any help or advice appreciated.
redag06
Pick some up at Fuddruckers!
MosesHallRAB83
AG
Can you really get them there?
HTownAg98
Yes.

Most grocery store bakeries will have buns this time of year.
chipotle
Yes.

I've always been a fan of the HEB bakery buns. However our store has been a little inconsistent as far as texture lately
JYDog90
AG
nm
BEaggie08
AG
Hands down best? Sheila Partin's Sweet Mesquite Bakery in Houston. They do the buns for Harvey Washbangers.

My next choice would be a good brioche bun, wherever you can find.
ORAggieFan
Yep, a good brioche bun. Unfortunately, you end up with an expensive burger. Add in home ground meat and damn good!
HTownAg98
I'm not a fan of a brioche bun. They're too soft, and halfway through eating a juicy burger they disintegrate. Leaner, sturdier buns are better for burgers.
GAC06
AG
First of all, don't make thick "juicy" patties. Thin griddled patties on brioche works great
JYDog90
AG
BEaggie08 said:

Hands down best? Sheila Partin's Sweet Mesquite Bakery in Houston. They do the buns for Harvey Washbangers.

Ok, right above your post I suggested Sheila Partin's and I linked their website but I saw they don't sell buns (or at least advertise buns) on their website so I took the post down. I agree they're the best.
momlaw
AG
I've purchased the Sheila Partin's buns from restaurants that serve them. Biggest challenge is convincing the kitchens to give them to me cold, not toasted.
momlaw
FIDO*98*
AG
HTownAg98 said:

I'm not a fan of a brioche bun. They're too soft, and halfway through eating a juicy burger they disintegrate. Leaner, sturdier buns are better for burgers.

Too sweet too.

Butter toasted sesame or poppy seed white buns. I
BEaggie08
AG
willie wonka said:

BEaggie08 said:

Ok, right above your post I suggested Sheila Partin's and I linked their website but I saw they don't sell buns (or at least advertise buns) on their website so I took the post down. I agree they're the best.

Buns are on page 3.

http://www.sbakery.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PLST&AllOffset=20&Offset=20&Per_Page=10&Sort_By=disp_order

With shipping they're too damned expensive to order online, but if you can pick up locally, they're definitely worth the effort.
JYDog90
AG
Ah. Got it. Thanks!
Cancelled
AG
A true hamburger doesn't have a bun. /Texags
mts6175
AG
GAC06 said:

First of all, don't make thick "juicy" patties. Thin griddled patties on brioche works great

Thin pretty much makes it the worst burger on the planet IMO.
bularry
Slow Dough buns are sold at Whole Foods. Definitely worth checking out.
GAC06
AG
Well obviously everyone has their own preference and we won't agree here but in my opinion, thick burger patties are inferior to thin in every way. Ground beef will be tender almost no matter what you do, so making a thick meatloaf style patty is pointless. In fact almost the only way to screw up and make a tough burger is a thick patty on a grill. 80/20 or 70/30 beef in a couple thin patties seared on a griddle is always superior to a thick patty or any patty cooked on a grill. If I wanted to enjoy some high quality beef, I'd cook a steak medium rare. Rare ground beef is pretty gross, not to mention the health risks. Plus it runs juice everywhere and who doesn't enjoy a soggy bloody bun?
FIDO*98*
AG
I take 2 3oz patties and smash them directly on the griddle. Perfect 6oz burger and double the seared surface area. 80/20 Beef is plenty juicy and far more flavor from the sear than you get from the juices of a thick burger.

My Dad Earl
AG
Kings Hawaiian Buns
Joe Exotic
AG
FIDO*98* said:

I take 2 3oz patties and smash them directly on the griddle. Perfect 6oz burger and double the seared surface area. 80/20 Beef is plenty juicy and far more flavor from the sear than you get from the juices of a thick burger.

Maillards, maillards, and more maillards
bularry
GAC06 said:

Well obviously everyone has their own preference and we won't agree here but in my opinion, thick burger patties are inferior to thin in every way. Ground beef will be tender almost no matter what you do, so making a thick meatloaf style patty is pointless. In fact almost the only way to screw up and make a tough burger is a thick patty on a grill. 80/20 or 70/30 beef in a couple thin patties seared on a griddle is always superior to a thick patty or any patty cooked on a grill. If I wanted to enjoy some high quality beef, I'd cook a steak medium rare. Rare ground beef is pretty gross, not to mention the health risks. Plus it runs juice everywhere and who doesn't enjoy a soggy bloody bun?
to each his own. as you say, we all have our own opinion. mine disagrees with yours.
MosesHallRAB83
AG
I typically use the Kings Hawaiian brand, just looking for something not so soft. I like the Fuddrucker's idea. Just wondering if there are other options here in BCS.
BEaggie08
AG
Swing by Harvey Washbangers and see if they'll sell you some buns.
AgsMnn
AG
Sheila Partin's at Sweet Mesquite Bakery

Thank me later.
momlaw
AG
Washbangers will , at least have in the past.
Big challenge, cold!!! not toasted.
momlaw
momlaw
AG
Grub sells their buns.
Flat bread is fabulous for other applications.
momlaw
Max Power
AG
When I ate bread I would usually pick up some pretzel buns for burgers, highly recommend if you haven't used before
schmellba99
AG
GAC06 said:

I grind my own meat, so I don't need to worry about what happens in some butcher shop somewhere. Allows me to season the meat properly, get the fat consistency I like and make a thicker patty that is just slightly pink in the middle versus the thin patty that is cooked through (or if you want to use your either/or scenario, having a rare patty).

Thin patties are great for cheap meat that you need to sear, but they aren't the end all of burgers IMO. I don't like them super thick either, but a good happy medium with quality meat and seasonings beats a generic griddle patty all day every day.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

thick burger patties are inferior to thin in every way.

Except among those that know how to fix and eat a burger!

Dude, just fix what you want and perhaps tell why you like something a certain way but don't act like a snob and suggest there is objectively only a single way to fix some form of food -- which by coincident just happens to be the way YOU like it. It makes you look silly. Until 5 Guys and places like that came online a few years ago, virtually everyone I know preferred the single half pound burger to 2 quarter bound patties. I consider the latter a fad, but even if it isn't, that's fine. I'm a big believer in getting what you want. Since the '70s, the single quarter pound patty has always been considered a fast food burger (i.e. an objective argument for the OPPOSITE of your statement), but again, whatever you want to eat is fine with me.

There are chefs that suggest the ONLY way to cook a burger is on a flat top in its own fat. WRONG. I (and many many others) prefer my burger grilled on the charbroiler. But if you want a flat top burger, go for it. Again, there's nothing objectively right or wrong either way. Its painful to hear people attempt to say otherwise.
GAC06
AG
I literally started by pointing out that everyone has their own opinion and that we weren't likely to agree. Then I said IN MY OPINION I prefer thin patties then gave my reasons. How or why you cut out that one sentence to go on a rant is beyond me.
Bruce Almighty
AG
GAC06 said:

I literally started by pointing out that everyone has their own opinion and that we weren't likely to agree. Then I said IN MY OPINION I prefer thin patties then gave my reasons. How or why you cut out that one sentence to go on a rant is beyond me.

Lawyer
Bruce Almighty
AG
Third pound burgers cooked over charcoal are the best. If I'm cooking them indoors, I make them as thin as possible. Two 2oz patties per burger.
Garrelli 5000
AG
I think of patty thickness and cooking method like NY vs Chicago pizza. For daily eating, it's NY. I like to have a good Chicago deep dish from time to time.

Burgers are the same - my daily go-to are thin patties, preferably 2, with cheese on each, cooked on a flat top.

Sometimes I prefer a thick burger, and sometimes I prefer charbroiled.

Kenny's burgers - killer - cooked over wood.

Port of Call - killer - charbroiled.

Both of those are thick and some of my favorite burgers.

But day to day, I love a double meat whataburger with cheese, or katy trail icehouse w/cheese, etc.

Neither is wrong. Quality ingredients and cooking technique are ultimately all that is required.

I hate thick burgers that have the life cooked out of them. I can tolerate a thin over cooked burger more than a thick over cooked burger.
Take the trash out staff.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.