Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Chuck plate ribs

2,812 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by schmendeler
B-1 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Saw these today. 4-5 inches long, cryovac packaged, reasonably meaty. Anybody done these? I'm betting that low and slow with mopping would yield a fall of the bone product like porknspare ribs. Thoughts?
Brush Country
You see em at HEB in the ville?
beb06
AG
I've purchased beef plate ribs at Costco in the past. They are great on the smoker. It's like brisket on a stick.
B-1 83
AG
Brush Country said:

You see em at HEB in the ville?
Walmart in Calallen
Brush Country
Not sure about wal Marta version, but the H-E-B ones are DAMN good.

FancyKetchup14
AG
It's similar to cooking plate spare rips, just from a different part of the steer.

Salt/Pepper, 250 degrees till you can stick a toothpick between the ribs and you're good to go. They're just about the easiest damn thing to cook. It's like brisket on a stick.
GtownRAB
AG
FancyKetchup14 said:

It's similar to cooking plate spare rips, just from a different part of the steer.

Salt/Pepper, 250 degrees till you can stick a toothpick between the ribs and you're good to go. They're just about the easiest damn thing to cook. It's like brisket on a stick.
Agreed - they are a nice cook if you are in the mood for brisket, but don't have the time to spend all day cooking or are only cooking for a few people and a brisket is too much meat.

Disclaimer - if anyone says a brisket is too much meat, they need to just go back in side and do some baking in the oven. Maybe make a cobbler for dessert and serve drinks while the men are outside cooking.
HTownAg98
FancyKetchup14 said:

What is your typical cooking time at that temperature?
FancyKetchup14
AG
I generally cook by feel so I don't concentrate too much on time. But if I had to guess it would be an 1hr-ish/pound.
GtownRAB
AG
HTownAg98 said:

FancyKetchup14 said:

What is your typical cooking time at that temperature?
Go by feel, but I would plan averaging around 5-6 hours for a cook like this.

Mentioned in my post above, they're nice since you can put them on mid-morning and have them for dinner. No need to stay up all night or wake up in the middle of the night to get the fire going.
pablof
Smoked 16 lb's last weekend. 225 for 9 hrs to 205. Slather with Topatio hot sauce, thick coating of 50/50 mix salt and pepper! Literally a melt in your mouth bite. Instant read just fell through the meat by gravity it was so dang moist!

HEB said they were plate short ribs, but they had to be Chuck.. not quite thick enough for plates.
AC Hopper
S
Thanks for all the posts here.
The thread reminded me of an earlier article in TexMonthly which, near the end, explains the difference between plate and chuck beef short ribs.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/food/you-may-love-beef-short-ribs-but-pitmasters-dont/
Yo!
I smoked some Prime Beef ribs(Costco) on my new pellet smoker two weeks ago.

It was literally the best thing I've ever eaten.

Trying to get pics loaded...

B-1 83
AG
Mine turned out great. 1 1/2 hours at 225 using post oak and 2 moppings. Another 1 1/2 hours wrapped. 30 minutes of light sauce glazing, 1 minute over the coals, and on to the table. Shrinkage was an eye opener compared to pork ribs, but "tender" to the bite done.
schmendeler
AG
Yo! said:

I smoked some Prime Beef ribs(Costco) on my new pellet smoker two weeks ago.

It was literally the best thing I've ever eaten.

Trying to get pics loaded...

did you sneeze on the plate in that last pic?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.