Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Shiner Sea Salt and Lime

8,583 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CrawfordAg
Aggie12B
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I picked up a 6-pack earlier today to try. I do this whenever I see a new flavor of Shiner at the local HEB. I'm not going to lie, I'm a little disappointed in it. The taste isn't that bad (it could use a little more lime, IMO), but it is weak as F***. It's only 4% alcohol by volume. I think I might use some of it in a batch of homemade salsa later this week.

Have any of y'all tried it yet? If so, what did you think?
Slicer97
AG
Gave up on Shiner years ago. It's a gateway beer. They do nothing outstanding nor do they do anything offensive (except that first run of Christmas Cheer; that was pretty f'n bad).

It's the kind of beer you're pleased to get at someone else's party, but you wouldn't buy on your own.
Slicer97
AG
Also, the whitewing on their Whitewing label bears no resemblance to a whitewing. That's always bothered me for some reason.
schmendeler
AG
Shiner is the Whataburger of beers. It's good, but people love it way too much because it's from Texas.
FlyFish95
schmendeler said:

Shiner is the Whataburger of beers. It's good, but people love it way too much because it's from Texas.

I like the the idea of Shiner, but when you see a brewery pumping out new beers hand over fist, you know the quality blows.
HTownAg98
Slicer97 said:

Gave up on Shiner years ago. It's a gateway beer. They do nothing outstanding nor do they do anything offensive (except that first run of Christmas Cheer; that was pretty f'n bad).

It's the kind of beer you're pleased to get at someone else's party, but you wouldn't buy on your own.

You forgot about the smokehouse beer.

They made an annual brew one year (I think it had a "98" on the label) that was pretty good, and their Oktoberfest beer is good too. But everything else, not so much.
The Milkman
AG
Shiner Cheer is fantastic. I look forward to it every year
62strat
AG
Aggie12B said:

I picked up a 6-pack earlier today to try. I do this whenever I see a new flavor of Shiner at the local HEB. I'm not going to lie, I'm a little disappointed in it. The taste isn't that bad (it could use a little more lime, IMO), but it is weak as F***. It's only 4% alcohol by volume.
It's 4% because you're supposed to drink 12 of them.
Ag_07
AG
Shiner is a solid beer. It's perfect for when I'm not pounding light beers on the lake or not sipping craft beers with the neckbeards at the hipster bar that serves nothing but 12% oatmeal stout IPAs.

But for smokin a brisket in the backyard or tailgating it does the trick. I'm a big fan of Ruby Redbird. There's always a handful of those in the outdoor fridge.
BullSprig07
AG
Ag_07 said:

Shiner is a solid beer. It's perfect for when I'm not pounding light beers on the lake or not sipping craft beers with the neckbeards at the hipster bar that serves nothing but 12% oatmeal stout IPAs.

But for smokin a brisket in the backyard or tailgating it does the trick. I'm a big fan of Ruby Redbird. There's always a handful of those in the outdoor fridge.
nailed it
Cancelled
AG
Shriner Bock is fanstastic imho. Few things beat an ice cold SB. I've been known to enjoy the blonde as well. All the other stuff is pretty poor. When I go to a party and they don't have quality micro brews, I'll drink the shiner.
FtBendTxAg
AG
People who like beer generally don't drink anything Shiner.
FlyFish95
Ruby Red is good if you like that kind of beer, which I do. Bock is solid and I actually like the original Shiner as well, but the rest of it just a bunch of gimmicky nonsense.
FlyFish95
FtBendTxAg said:

Let's rephrase:

People with an inflated sense of self-importance force themselves to not drink Shiner because they feel not doing so somehow conveys a sense of sophistication.
jja79
AG
People who like beer generally don't like flavored beer.
62strat
AG
DryFly said:

FtBendTxAg said:

Let's rephrase:

People with an inflated sense of self-importance force themselves to not drink Shiner because they feel not doing so somehow conveys a sense of sophistication.
Here in CO, there is a bit of shiner in most liquor stores, but I'm willing to bet they sit on the shelf a long time.

Shiner is distributed to 49 states, but I bet Texans drink a huge majority of it. It's def. a Texas thing; the beer is very mediocre. It's basically bud light, but with some natural color from grains (ziegen bock's color is added) and a bit more flavor. But props to them for trying to stay relevant with all their different offerings.
Slicer97
AG
Shiner = Yuengling

Decent enough beer that's not great but a bit better than ok that has a strong regional loyalty and gets more love than it deserves.
jah003
S
It's a shame we don't have a thread for these types of coversations...
NColoradoAG
jah003 said:

It's a shame we don't have a thread for these types of coversations...
**** that hipster thread. /outdoor board
Seven Costanza
AG
What would you say is Shiner's marketing/branding style?

Michelob Ultra clearly goes for "if you like to workout and eat healthy..."

Corona is consistent with "if you just want to relax and enjoy a beer..."

Shiner bock ads are just a goofy guy doing stuff in a small town. The Light Blonde ads seem to do a better job of attempting to convey the whole Texas vibe.
Brush Country
Finally, a thread for the snobs.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I like Shiner Bock. I guess it's my comfort beer. I haven't really liked anything else from them and a beer bottled with lime and salt sounds disgusting.
HTownAg98
Slicer97 said:

Shiner = Yuengling

Decent enough beer that's not great but a bit better than ok that has a strong regional loyalty and gets more love than it deserves.

I had a Yuengling in a dive bar in Philly and thought it sucked. I wanted to like it, but I couldn't.
62strat
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

I like Shiner Bock. I guess it's my comfort beer. I haven't really liked anything else from them and a beer bottled with lime and salt sounds disgusting.
yet people go ga-ga about throwing a corona upside down in a margarita.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Thankfully most chain restaurants in Texas have Shiner Bock on the tap now. It wasn't too many years ago and you were stuck with Bud/Miller/Coors. Shiner beats the pants off of them. I try not to frequent chains too much, but working on the road makes them hard to avoid sometimes.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Yeungling is better than Shiner in my opinion
62strat
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Thankfully most chain restaurants in Texas have Shiner Bock on the tap now. It wasn't too many years ago and you were stuck with Bud/Miller/Coors.
now?
I was playing in dive bars all over Houston from 06-12 and every bar I ever played had shiner on tap it seems. It was not long after I got into craft beer and stopped drinking bmc altogether, so it was my saving grace most nights in the beginning of my Band days. Unless I was drinking sunny brook
Prune Tracy
Aggie12B said:

I picked up a 6-pack earlier today to try. I do this whenever I see a new flavor of Shiner at the local HEB. I'm not going to lie, I'm a little disappointed in it. The taste isn't that bad (it could use a little more lime, IMO), but it is weak as F***. It's only 4% alcohol by volume. I think I might use some of it in a batch of homemade salsa later this week.

Karbach Tasty Waves pulls this off so much better. Not lime, but citrus and sea salt. Outstanding summer beer.

ETA - It's 4.9, too.
sanitariex
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Thankfully most chain restaurants in Texas have Shiner Bock on the tap now. It wasn't too many years ago and you were stuck with Bud/Miller/Coors. Shiner beats the pants off of them. I try not to frequent chains too much, but working on the road makes them hard to avoid sometimes.

Name does not check out.
62strat
AG
Gangster Octopus said:

Aggie12B said:

Karbach Tasty Waves pulls this off so much better. Not lime, but citrus and sea salt. Outstanding summer beer.

ETA - It's 4.9, too.

Avery gose. Salt and lime, and soured. Low abv. Way too easy to kill a 6 pack on a hot day.

Slicer97
AG
Gangster Octopus said:

Karbach Tasty Waves pulls this off so much better.

And that's the whole issue with Shiner. Whatever style they issue, there's another Texas brewery that executes it better (well, not Ziegenbock). Rahr & Sons Ugly Pug was what Shiner Black wanted to grow up to be.
Anyone seen this in BCS yet?
John Francis Donaghy
Slicer97 said:

Shiner = Yuengling

Not a good comparison anymore. Comparable in quality, but Yuengling is priced at or below Bud, Miller and Coors, while Shiner has raised their prices to the level of craft brews. End result being that Yuengling is the best beer in its price point, while Shiner has become the worst in its.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Yeungling >>> Shiner
Slicer97
AG
Not really. Both are pretty ok. Both are also outclassed by many other local products.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.