Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Always eating the same thing

2,565 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by aggiespartan
Tex_Ag_2017
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does anyone know of a good website or source to get new recipes? My fiance and I seem like we get in a rut when we find a new recipe and get burnt out. We are looking for good meals to add to our repertoire to get out of the monotonous cycle of the current meals we make. Is there a type of subscription where a company will send you a weekly email for ideas? My fiance watches food network but uses the techniques and not necessarily the recipes. We google recipes and use pinterest and food networks sites but do not always find feasible meals to make.
Thanks in advance.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
https://emeals.com/

We used to use this service... They send you the meals and make your grocery list for you.
NColoradoAG
How do you prefer to cook? Grill, one pot/pan, crock pot, oven? Are you picky?

I tend to just make **** up from what I see on the food network, cooking channel, and instagram. I have dietary restrictions, but find it easy to drop the carbs from most dishes.

The New York Times also has a nice email with recipes that goes out three times a week in the format of "What to Cook this Week", "What to Cook this Weekend," and "What to Cook Right Now." It is a paid service though at $5 a month.
Tex_Ag_2017
AG
We prefer to do our own shopping instead of a meal prep service like this or blue apron.
Tex_Ag_2017
AG
We are not picky on what type of meal to cook. A lot of the times we make meals that require a lot of clean up from using 3 or 4 pots but sometime we do 1 pot meals or something all day in the crockpot. We try and eat healthy which seems kind of hard to eat healthy and also do 1 pot meals compared to a protein with 2 or 3 vegetable sides.
dummble
AG
I browse a few websites, bonapetit, serious eats, nom nom paleo, etc a few youtube channels and usually get 1 to 2 things to try a week. I will print the recipe out and keep it on a clipboard in the kitchen till I make it.

We are a family of 4 and the kids are little so really i only have between 530 and 630 to get food on the table so most of the time we are doing a variation of meat, sauce, carb, vegetable. We keep staples of these in the freezer, fridge and pantry.

The fun recipes either get done on the weekend or planned for a weeknight if it can be made in an hour.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Not sure if you clicked the link or just misunderstood. You still do your own grocery shopping with emeals...
It just prepares the grocery list for you.
rilloaggie
AG
https://cooking.nytimes.com

You have to make an account but they publish 100 or so recipes per week free(to access the rest of the site you have to subscribe) and they rotate and have seasonal selections and great holiday recipe ideas. I use Evernote to save recipes I like so I can make them later on even if they turn "free" off on that particular recipe.
FIDO*98*
AG
- Learn basic techniques and quit looking to recipes
- Check out the menus of your favorite high end non- Chain restaurants. Try to make an item on your own using your imagination
- Go to the farmer's market and see what looks good and to the grocery store and do the same. Figure out what to make based on fresh ingredients rather than buying a list
RK
AG
classic fido...

i'm looking for fish.

you don't want fish.

i'm looking for recipes.

you don't want recipes.

dummble
AG
Maybe we should think about it like are you looking make dinner or a dish. Dinner is using what I have on hand to make the best, filling, healthy dish I can from my wheel house. A dish is a recipe I found that I will follow to the letter the first time I make it. The dish may become dinner once it is streamed lined and adapted to readily available ingredients from my kitchen.

Or something to that effect.
HTownAg98
FIDO*98* said:

- Learn basic techniques and quit looking to recipes
- Check out the menus of your favorite high end non- Chain restaurants. Try to make an item on your own using your imagination
- Go to the farmer's market and see what looks good and to the grocery store and do the same. Figure out what to make based on fresh ingredients rather than buying a list

I agree with this, and do it a lot now. It requires some thought and a well-stocked pantry, but if you are willing to put forth the effort, it really frees you up to cook what you have on hand and avoid endless trips to the store.

A good way to start is to join a vegetable CSA. You will quickly learn how to cook turnips, kohlrabi, and other stuff you've never heard of before it goes to waste. Yes, you will come up with some duds every so often, but that is what take-out is for. Once you're can free yourself from the reliance on recipes, things will open up for you.

A lot of my weekday cooking is very, very simple. Tonight, it will be artichoke hearts with poached eggs, and whatever vegetable I get in my CSA box that I can steam. If you start with high quality ingredients, you don't need a lot of spices and sauces to make it taste good.
Max Power
AG
https://www.seriouseats.com/

You should be able to find a lot of inspiration on there. They have tons of recipes of different cuisines. Any time I'm feeling like I'm in a culinary rut I check out serious eats.
FIDO*98*
AG
RK said:

classic fido...

i'm looking for fish.

you don't want fish.

i'm looking for recipes.

you don't want recipes.

I'm giving people what they want, they just don't know it or may not want to hear it. Other thread was a poster looking for health outcomes in the OP. I gave advice that would change everything they desired.

OP over here is struggling with recipes and thinks more or better recipes is the solution. Not a chance. There's a million recipes online. I don't think the OP is really struggling to find recipes.

I do have a couple more bit of advice for Tex_Ag_2017. Try incorporating more plant based meals into your diet. It's opened new worlds for me in terms of variety and flavors. It's a much more inspirational way to cook.

How's that for you RK
Garrelli 5000
AG
Everyone is correct, including Fido.

You need to look at recipes sometimes however, and try them, to develop basic techniques that then allow you to make up stuff.

Learn to make a basic bechamel, roux, etc. THen you can mix and match flavoring sauces w/different veggies and meats, different cooking techniques for the veggies/proteins.

If your looking for a good website that has simple recipes that are typically "normal sounding" someone from the south, look at the Pioneer Woman's site. She has dozens of free recipes, all of which are extremely simple but many of which will help build a 'palette' of flavors to work with.
SECond2noneAgs
AG
I've been using https://fitmencook.com/ for my weekly meal preps and there are some great ideas on there. For just about everything I've made, I've enjoyed it just as much on Friday as I did on Monday. They've got a great app, too.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Download the How to Cook Everything app on your phone. It has hundreds of recipes that are neatly organized and explained very simply. Most of the recipes also have variations and suggestions on how to tweak things. I've been using the app for a few years now and it's become my go to for weeknight meal planning.
Tex_Ag_2017
AG
Is this an iPhone app? I cannot find it on Google Play Store but I have an iPad at home.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Tex_Ag_2017 said:

Is this an iPhone app? I cannot find it on Google Play Store but I have an iPad at home.

I have no idea if it's iphone only, but I do have it on my iPhone. It's also a book.
fta09
AG
While I know we like to pile on Fido, he is not completely wrong here. I felt the same as the OP. I watch Food Network, YouTube, and read a couple websites, but I feel I lack creativity and still needed practice making recipes. I decided to sign up for HelloFresh.

I know OP wants to do his own shopping, but we only get 3 meals per week sent to us so I still have to shop for 4 others. They also send you recipe cards that you can keep. It has helped me practice and learn techniques that I would read about or see, and it has also exposed me to different meal types that I often would not cook before.

I had not heard of emeals, but that really sounds like what the OP might be needing. Honestly, until we get a 2nd kid and both of them get older, my biggest gripe about shopping is portion sizes. I guess I need to get better at meal planning for the week and portioning/freezing food. We've lost weight using HelloFresh and have less leftovers that we never ate anyway.
rhoswen
AG
My favorite saturday morning activity is browsing Pinterest for meal ideas for the week while I watch cooking shows. How are you not finding things on Pinterest?
aggiespartan
AG
You said that most of the recipes you find aren't feasible to make. Can you tell us why they aren't feasible?

My husband and I swap dinner weeks, so one week will be my responsibility and the next will be his. We've got staples that each of us go through, but we try to incorporate new things too. On Sundays, we have family dinner (even though it's only the two of us), and we eat dinner at the table and try a more complicated recipe or a spin on a recipe we've done before. It's worked well for us. Whoever's week it is is responsible for the shopping for that week too, so we aren't really trying to figure out what's for dinner last minute. Planning ahead has been the biggest help for us.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.