Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Chicken in marinade that won't be eaten for 8 days. Any way to save it?

1,534 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by FIDO*98*
bam02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I bought some chicken breasts last wednesday and just yesterday put them in some marinade intending to grill them last night. Day went to hell yesterday and they're still marinading. We are going out of town in a couple of days and we won't be back until next Tuesday.

Should I grill them today and freeze it afterwards or is it possible to freeze them and then thaw them out and cook them after I get back? No biggie but I hate wasting food and was curious if there is a proper way to handle this or just a least bad way.

Gracias!
powerbelly
AG
Just throw them away.
bam02
AG
Aw heck no. Danger is my middle name.
Sooner Born
Edit: I thought you bought them today. Agree with the others, just toss it. Week old chicken is nothing to mess with
Mathguy64
AG
They are chicken breasts. You probably have $6 invested in them. Do you want to spend 2 days sitting on the can for $6?
AggieBarstool
mathguy86 said:

They are chicken breasts. You probably have $6 invested in them. Do you want to spend 2 days sitting on the can for $6?
This.
ftworthag02
AG
https://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/storagetimes.html
Arctic Ag
AG
Freezer
biobioprof
Cook them
Vacuum seal
Refrigerate

Discard in 8 days.
62strat
AG
you bought chicken on wednesday, and it stayed in fridge until yesterday?
If you had frozen it on wednesday, it would be one thing. But it's already been thawed for almost a week. Dump it. It won't even taste good anyway.

Pro Tip, when you buy thawed chicken, freeze it that day, or cook it within a day or two. I've never seen a pack of thawed chicken that had a 'use by' date more than 2-3 days in the future. There's a reason for that.
bam02
AG
Ok. Will be trashing it. I didn't think 5 days was a big concern.
fta09
AG
mathguy86 said:

Username checks out.
FIDO*98*
AG
Hard to save a chicken once it's already dead for a few days
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.