Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

New cooking gadgets.....Educate me please

1,862 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by IslandAg76
Arctic Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was gifted a new single element induction cooktop and a nuwave infrared oven. Never used anything like this before. All my cooking experience is over gas/electric ranges, Coleman stoves, and fires.

I thought I'd try a simple grilled cheese on them to start and I burnt the ever living hell out of all of them. So apparently I have no clue on how to use this new fangled technology.

Any tips, tricks, do's and don'ts, or recipes would be greatly appreciated.
biobioprof
Never used either, but from what I've read about induction, they heat up super fast and I suspect that the lack of feedback in the form of a roaring gas flame or cherry red electric burner makes it easy to underestimate how fast your pan is heating.

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/07/dining/07induction.html
Quote:

Standing at an induction range, even great cooks must rethink their basic moves. The heat comes on so fast that anyone used to pouring oil in a pan and chopping the last of the onions while it heats is making a big mistake. Learning to control heat levels with numbered dials is like trying to master a new language.
2aggiesmom
I am doing a kitchen remodle dow n to the studs. Bought an entire Thermadore package including a Freedom Induction Cook Top. They are used in Europe much more than the US. My model is frameless glass. You can put a piece of craft paper between the pan and cooktop if frying to catch the splatters and then throw away the paper when finished. Mine has a temp setting range from 1 to 15. It is touch control no knobs so easy to keep clean. I am looking forward to using it, mainly because I have been cooking on a jenn air glass cooktop with only two burners and because of the frame a ten inch skillet is the max size that will fit. I cook alot. And yes, I have hosted many Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners using two inefficient burners and a small wall oven.
IslandAg76
AG
Do these induction cooktops require special pots & pans?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.