Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Fly FIshing Lodge Liquor Cabinet Suggestions

4,117 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by aad03
schmellba99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
And I'm saying that I disagree with that mentality. Should you have production bottles of cheap crap on hand? Absolutely, it's the smart thing to do.

But people that drop several thousand to stay in a nice lodge and have somebody take them to stand in water and fish aren't the type that are going to take a Stagg or Pappy and mix it with coke, they are the type that enjoy a good whiskey or scotch (no such thing IMO, but others disagree with me) and smoke cigars. Hell, that's part of the experience as much as fly fishing or whatever else is included is. I think you underestimate what the bourbon and scotch market is.

And if you have a barkeep, and somebody wants a mixed drink, you aren't pouring it with whiskey from a $200 bottle of bourbon either - that's where your crap liquor comes in.
powerbelly
AG
schmellba99 said:

powerbelly said:

schmellba99 said:

aad03 said:

I'm with Cstrickland here. Don't put too much thought into your liquor selection. 99% of folks don't know, much less care, about what makes a better whiskey. Just put out some Jack and some Crown so they can wet their whistle.
FFFFFFF that noise. If I go to a higher end place, whether it be a lodge or steakhouse or bar, I'm expecting the ability to have something more than what I can go to any liquor store and buy off the shelf.

Given what the bourbon market has become, and what the scotch market has been for years, and what the rum and tequila markets are morphing into - the idea that throwing jack and crown up is sufficient at what is billed as an upscale place is just stupid.
Eh. I love high end drinks, but if this is a place focused on fishing then they need less than if they are trying to be a bar.
Disagree completely. Hunting or fishing, doesn't matter - if I'm going to a nice lodge in the mountains, I want to enjoy my evenings with a very nice drink looking at the views. I'm not going there to drink a run of the mill Jack Daniels that I can get anywhere or a coors light that i can buy at the corner store at home.
I didn't say go bottom shelf, but they don't need 12 kinds of scotch and 3 kinds of exotic rum. Every time I have been at a hunting/fishing lodge like this they usually have a couple nice scotches and a couple bourbons along with one vodka, gin, and rum.
schmellba99
AG
We have different opinions of what people like, and what the definition of "well stocked bar" means, and what we enjoy then. I'd be disappointed if I spent a small fortune to go to an upscale lodge somewhere and the bar had Maker's and Jack Daniels for me to choose from. That's just me though, I would expect both more options and higher end options.

The beauty of liquor - it doesn't go bad, so having a few bottles of something more than what you can buy at Spec's for $30 an handle isn't a huge cost, doesn't take much space and doesn't need much in the way of special care.
powerbelly
AG
schmellba99 said:

We have different opinions of what people like, and what the definition of "well stocked bar" means, and what we enjoy then. I'd be disappointed if I spent a small fortune to go to an upscale lodge somewhere and the bar had Maker's and Jack Daniels for me to choose from. That's just me though, I would expect both more options and higher end options.
So would I, but I wouldn't expect them to have stuff that is really hard to find nor would I expect them to have more than a few options of each type.

I think we are closer on our definitions than you think, I just have different exceptions from a high-end fishing lodge.
John Francis Donaghy
Bourbon/TN: Makers and Jack Daniels for the well, Knob Creek and Elijah Craig for a mid levels, and Four Roses Single Barrel and Bookers for the high end options. All solid pours, all readily available, and any bourbon afficianado will be pleased with the lineup. Throw in some harder to find options here and there when your distributor can get them for you. You'll get the occasional guest that will really appreciate them.

Scotch: Have blended, sherried single malt and peated single malt options. You can drive yourself crazy trying to please every scotch drinker on the planet, but just be sure to keep those 3 basic bases covered, and everyone will be able to order something they like, even if it isn't "their" brand.

Dewars white label is bad stuff, even for mixing. Go with Famous Grouse over Dewars for sure. Chivas is also a good basic standby to have, especially for old timers. Add Macallan 12, and a GlenMorangie Necter D' Or as sherried options. Laphroig and Lagavulen 16 for peated options. And keep a 20+ year Macallan or a Johnny Blue on hand for when guys come in on cloud 9 and want to toast their big trophy catch with something special.

Rye: Keep it simple. It'll mostly be for mixing. Bulleit or Rittenhouse. Both are very good, affordable and versatile enough to fill all your rye whiskey needs. No real need for a selection. IMO.

That whiskey lineup would be impressive and versatile enough to satisfy any whiskey drinker that wanders in and nothing would be difficult for you to keep in stock.
John Francis Donaghy
Sorry, reading the thread made me forget what you actually asked for in the OP.

Bourbon/TN: Jack for your mixer, it's classic, and cheap. Blantons if you can maintain a supply of it for your high end (it tends to be more readily available near the West Coast than in Texas). If not, go Elijah Craig. Also, many avid bourbon drinkers really only enjoy barrel proof bourbons, so I would recommend keeping Bookers on hand as well in addition to your normal high end bourbon.

Scotch: Famous Grouse over Dewars for sure, and good old Macallan 12 is as broad as single malt appeal gets.

Rye: Still going to recommend Bulleit or Rittenhouse.
Garrelli 5000
AG
We stayed at a similar resort outside of Vancouver a couple of years ago, Sonora Resort (you can all thank me for that suggestion). Prices look stupid, but realize it's listed in CA monopoly money. What really adds to the price is the helicopter or seaplane you have to take each way from Vancouver airport - it's about $500 per person, each way.

It was all-inclusive, and even the rooms were stocked with decent sized bottles of Grey Goose, Crown, Bombay Sapphire, etc. I can't recall what bourbon was in the rooms. It might have been Woodford.
aad03
AG
schmellba99 said:

Given what the bourbon market has become, and what the scotch market has been for years, and what the rum and tequila markets are morphing into - the idea that throwing jack and crown up is sufficient at what is billed as an upscale place is just stupid.

You are right, should probably roll out some Virginia Black as well.
Class of '03
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
A whole thread on great rums, Ron Zacapa 23 and El Dorado 15 are great pours for under 50 a bottle retail
Trinity Ag
S
What's your budget? The might shape your thinking on options and variety.

Bourbon/Whiskey: Knob Creek 120 (better and cheaper than Bookers), Buffalo Trace (for blending), and Jack Daniels (for the Jack & Coke crowd)

Rye: Rittenhouse (not sure you really need a Rye, though)

Canadian: Crown Royal

Scotch: Macallan 12, Glenmorangie 10, Monkey Shoulder or Famous Grouse

Gin: Bombay Sapphire

Vodka: Titos. It has a national reputation, and is half the cost of Grey Goose. It is all getting mixed anyway

Tequila/Rum: I'd go Patron Silver and El Dorado

I only drink Tequila in margaritas, and Rum only in Mojitos - so can't offer much there. Demand for sipping tequila & rum is tiny compared to the above, so I'm not sure you need to go high end, and if you do, you risk your quality stuff getting mixed.

That is about a $400 setup, assuming you are getting 1.75s for the lower end, and get it wholesale.
Belton Ag
AG
Texas Spirit makes a wide variety of fine liquors with which to stock your bar.
terradactylexpress
This place is in Montana, why the obsession on mediocre Texas spirits?
87Flyfisher
AG
In case anyone is curious; a little over a month into operation and Makers Mark is by far the most consumed item. Despite having a wide selection of much better (and more expensive) bourbon, rye and Scotch available. Vodka has been the least consumed. Most ladies hit the Chardonnay.
strohag
AG
Maker's is just solid. Appeals to a lot of people and it's well know.
aad03
AG
schmellba99 said:

aad03 said:

I'm with Cstrickland here. Don't put too much thought into your liquor selection. 99% of folks don't know, much less care, about what makes a better whiskey. Just put out some Jack and some Crown so they can wet their whistle.
FFFFFFF that noise. If I go to a higher end place, whether it be a lodge or steakhouse or bar, I'm expecting the ability to have something more than what I can go to any liquor store and buy off the shelf.

The people have spoken.
Class of '03
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.