Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Netflx:Chef's Table Pastry

1,488 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Max Power
biobioprof
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just got an email ad for this

The pic in the email, which is similar to the cake in the tweet reminded me of aggiespartan.

Looking for something to embed here, I discovered that people are annoyed about the chefs profiled in the show:

aggiespartan
AG
I agree that women are underrepresented as pastry chefs. And I will also say that I really dislike Christina Tosi's on air personas, but I have been pleasantly surprised by the recipes in her books. I've got several baking books that I'm working through right now, including one that I think is more valuable in terms of cake recipes. I would like to see different people, but I think once you get on these shows, they keep coming back for you. I've seen it in my little cookie world. The people I know that get selected for these shows keep getting contacted, even when they turn them down. I do think, though, that Tosi's relationships to other chefs is probably what got her on Chef's Table.
Max Power
AG
I enjoy Chef's Table so I'll check out this version as well. I don't have any issue with Tosi being on the show for any reason other than I've been to Milk Bar and I didn't think it was anything special at all. Went with a group and I don't think anyone thought what they got was worth the price. I think the fact that she's affiliated with David Chang is of course hugely beneficial to her personal brand and probably the main reason she's on Chef's Table.

One of the main reasons I like Chef's Table is getting behind the scenes at the restaurants of full blown culinary geniuses. Just feels like out of all the pastry chefs in the world they could profile, she wouldn't have been a choice for me, thought i'll still give it a shot.
aggiespartan
AG
I would really be interested in profiles of some of the Australian pastry chefs. They are doing some amazing things over there.
Max Power
AG
It's up, started watching the one with the guy in Sicily, damn I want some gelato and a cannoli.
schmendeler
AG
regarding the tweet in the OP

it's a women dominated role, so it's wrong to highlight men in this show.

but it's ok to highlight underrepresented demographics of other jobs/skills on other shows?
aggiespartan
AG
schmendeler said:

but it's ok to highlight underrepresented demographics of other jobs/skills on other shows?
Is it a women dominated role? I think the majority of pastry chefs are still men.
schmendeler
AG
aggiespartan said:

schmendeler said:

Is it a women dominated role? I think the majority of pastry chefs are still men.
the tweet I was replying to says "but, traditionally, women dominate pastry. while plenty of men excel in in the field, it's the pink-collar job of the restaurant industry."
Max Power
AG
I don't care if he's one of the best pastry chefs in the world, the Spanish guy that only whispers is too weird for me. He takes soil samples and distills them to put that flavor into a dessert? Gimme a ****ing break, that's just stupid.
Duncan Idaho
aggiespartan said:

I would really be interested in profiles of some of the Australian pastry chefs. They are doing some amazing things over there.

The Vegemite macarons are to die for
Max Power
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.