Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Chicago deep dish pizza - at home

4,334 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by JYDog90
rooftop18403
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've had a craving for deep dish pizza for a while. I may go the mail order route if I have to but I wanted to give it a shot at home first. So who here has successfully made a good deep dish pizza at home? What are the tips and tricks so I don't end up with a just a goopy mess. Any recipes, secrets, or general dos/ don't welcome.
PlanoAg98
AG
Where do you live? The have Gino's East restaurants in both DFW and Houston. This is one of Chicago's best deep dish places. Even if you have to drive 30 minutes, a deep dish will still be piping hot when you get home.
rooftop18403
Not that close, Tyler, the Rose City. We've got the basics... and Stanley's
munch96
AG
PlanoAg98
AG
Online ordering from places like Lou Malnati's will cost you about $30/each. I'd give it a shot yourself. None of the ingredients are specialized.

• tomato sauce, jar or homemade
  • shredded mozzarella
  • sliced mushrooms
  • spinach, shredded
  • grated Romano
  • sliced pepperoni
  • grated Parmesan
schmendeler
AG
PlanoAg98 said:

Where do you live? The have Gino's East restaurants in both DFW and Houston. This is one of Chicago's best deep dish places. Even if you have to drive 30 minutes, a deep dish will still be piping hot when you get home.

The ones in Houston are dead. I went a couple times but the service was apathetic mostly and the pizzas took a long time.
schmendeler
AG
I'd love it if a Lou Malnati's opened up though.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Not sure if I've ever had an authentic deep dish pizza but have always thought they looked good. Are they basically like lasagna?
schmendeler
AG
No they are like pizza.
PlanoAg98
AG
A really really thick pizza.
Max Power
AG
There are recipes out there online for baking deep dish pizza in a cast iron pan. I haven't made one in a while though, but that would be the way to go.

Something like this:
https://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/9180-cast-iron-chicago-style-pepperoni-pan-pizza
Seven Costanza
AG
schmendeler
AG
PlanoAg98 said:

Yes. To me they really embody the term "pizza pie".
Superdave1993
AG
Father-in-law uses a basic pizza dough recipe in a deep dish pan. Bring the dough up on the sides at the normal thickness. Cheese first, meat then homemade sauce. If you put cheese on top it will burn due to the cook time. He's Italian and grew up in Detroit and lived in Chicago. It is not quite Lou's but it is a pretty darn good pie. I can get the dough recipe if anyone wants it.

MichaelJ
AG
I moved to Chicago about 8 months ago. Deep dish I do liken to lasagna. I still prefer thin crust but every jabrone who comes to visit wants a deep dish.
62strat
AG
schmendeler said:

PlanoAg98 said:

paxti's embodies the term pizza pie. Much different than a standard Chicago deep dish, which is just thicker crust. A Pie is thin-ish crust, but loaded thick full of ingredients

Like:
schmendeler
AG
62strat said:

schmendeler said:

PlanoAg98 said:

paxti's embodies the term pizza pie. Much different than a standard Chicago deep dish, which is just thicker crust. A Pie is thin-ish crust, but loaded thick full of ingredients

Like:

Looks like Giordano's to me
MichaelJ
AG
62strat said:

schmendeler said:

PlanoAg98 said:

Like:

I feel like you haven't had real deep dish if you think it's just thicker crust
John Francis Donaghy
Superdave1993 said:

Father-in-law uses a basic pizza dough recipe in a deep dish pan. Bring the dough up on the sides at the normal thickness. Cheese first, meat then homemade sauce. If you put cheese on top it will burn due to the cook time. He's Italian and grew up in Detroit and lived in Chicago. It is not quite Lou's but it is a pretty darn good pie. I can get the dough recipe if anyone wants it.

I would be very interested in the dough recipe. Been thinking about trying a homemade Chicago Deep Dish for a while, and the dough is the biggest thing I'm unsure about doing right.
Superdave1993
AG
I will round it up, his is more his own basic pizza dough. Not quite the same consistency of Lou's, but it seems to work well at home. Give me a day or two and I'll post it here.
John1248
AG
I've done emerils recipe off the food network in a cast iron skillet on the primo. I liked it. Second time I tried to cheat and used ready to go dough mix from HEB, not as good. doh!
heddleston
AG
I'm interested too, i love me a good Breaded Tomato Fort
Superdave1993
AG
The email was sent to my FIL, but they are retired and playing golf in Florida. Should hear from them in a day or two.
JimShorts
AG
I use a recipe for a normal Pizza crust.
Put it in a pan with a little cornmeal on the bottom
Blind bake the crust for about 10 minutes
Put sliced cheese directly on the hot crust
then add the other toppings and bake until done.
dallasiteinsa02
We have made deep dish a few times. It takes less sauce than you think it does. Make sure you grease a pan a little.
BurnetAggie99
https://minimalistbaker.com/simple-deep-dish-pizza/
Superdave1993
AG
Sorry for the delay in getting this posted. In-Laws were slow to send it.

Pizza dough

3/4 cup lukewarm water
1 package dry yeast
1/8 teaspoon sugar
About 3 Cups unbleached flour
1/4 cup olive oil
Vegetable oil

Put lukewarm water in a small bowl and sprinkle yeast and sugar on top. Let stand for 10-15 min until foam forms on top

In a large bowl combine 1 cup flour and salt

Add olive oil to the yeast mixture and combine in bowl with flour and salt

Gradually add 2nd cup of flour while stirring with a wooden spoon. When it pulls away from the sides turn onto a floured board.

Gradually knead the rest of the flour in until no longer sticky. Might be a cup or less

Coat a medium size bowl with vegetable oil and place dough ball in it rolling to coat all sides. Let it sit until doubled

Press out dough into deep dish pan that has a little oil on the bottom and up the sides.

Layer the ingredients, and bake at 450 for about 20 min then back the temp off a little a bake 10-15 more min.

Hope y'all enjoy it. This is actually out of an old cook book they have, and literally says "back the temp off a little".

AggieOO
MichaelJ said:

62strat said:

schmendeler said:

PlanoAg98 said:

Like:

I feel like you haven't had real deep dish if you think it's just thicker crust
pizza hut deep dish isn't legit?
JYDog90
AG
This is absolutely great. Thanks for sharing!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.