Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

What is your best Salmon recipe

4,918 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TexAg2001
jetescamilla
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

I've got a freezer loaded with silvers from last year that we still have to eat and I'm getting tired of my typical 1 or 2 recipes I've used. I need something new to help boost our desire to eat our leftover fish from last season and could use some help. Also, the "go to recipe" is some usually a combination of soy sauce, honey, green onions, and brown sugar then either place on the grill (cedar plank optional) or in the oven.

I've also been smoking them as I've found that's been the best way for my family to continually purge on them. The kiddos love smoked salmon with crackers and it's great for salads.
Rasslin Cheesehead
AG
We smoke it with olive oil and dill. Always a winner.

But I love voodoo salmon from Cafe Excell.
04.arch.ag
AG
I have had some success cutting them in to 1" x 2" pieces and tempura battering and frying them for fish tacos or just with some fried rice
HTownAg98
Many good recipes here.
https://www.seriouseats.com/search?term=salmon
biobioprof
Our go to for salmon filets is to just pan sear to get a nice crispy skin and cook until just barely done.

We like to serve it with this

The people who run Fischer-Wieser are Ags. I remember Jenny Wieser from when she was a grad student.

Edit to add: sous vide is good too!
Ham Slice MRE
AG
Kids favorite is a filet with a thin spread of pesto and panko finished under the broiler. We prefer just salt and pepper but cooked until barely done.

A freezer full of silvers is a good problem to have but when we left Alaska i don't think we were ready to eat salmon again for several years!
Beckdiesel03
AG
We grill it and put an avocado/ pico type salad on top. Let me track down the recipe.
Ag_07
AG
Tequila Lime Salmon

Marinade:
1/3 cup fresh orange juice
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons tequila
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon minced jalapeo pepper, with seeds
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin

Combine marinade ingredients in a bowl and whisk.
Pour marinade in a ziploc bag with four salmon fillets (or split up in two if they won't fit).
Marinade for an hour
Grill salmon

I usually serve with grilled Mexican street corn, sliced avocados, and/or fresh fruit like strawberries or mangoes.
hbc07
AG
I've had some of the best results cooking it sous vide at 119 for 20ish min and then a quick sear.
NColoradoAG
Ag_07 said:

Tequila Lime Salmon

Marinade:
1/3 cup fresh orange juice
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons tequila
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon minced jalapeo pepper, with seeds
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin

Combine marinade ingredients in a bowl and whisk.
Pour marinade in a ziploc bag with four salmon fillets (or split up in two if they won't fit).
Marinade for an hour
Grill salmon

I usually serve with grilled Mexican street corn, sliced avocados, and/or fresh fruit like strawberries or mangoes.
I cook it quite often with a similar marinade and sides.

My family also likes it blackened and served with grits and sauteed chard.
PlanoAg98
AG
How do you have "a freezer loaded with silvers from last year"? Do you live up north? I used to live in Seattle and we'd go salmon fishing all the time. My favorite was to keep them in the half shell and bake with salt, pepper, and lemon. Something about leaving the skin on....
The Chicken Ranch
AG
I like to use a cedar plank and Chef Paul's Salmon Magic.

Soak cedar plank. Lay Salmon filet (skin side down) on plank and season with Chef Paul's Salmon Magic. Put lemon slices over it and then grill at a med to low heat.

Yum yum!
Cancelled
AG
Is there anyone here that cannot stomach Atlantic salmon? I can eat all other kinds, farmed or wild, but Atlantic is just terrible to me.
jetescamilla
AG
I live in Juneau, AK. been here 4 years and always have a freezer full of vacuum sealed fish from the previous season. Usually it's a combination of halibut and salmon (kings and silvers). This last season we seemed to stock up only on silvers and we've been a little "fish bored".

I appreciate the recipes so far ill be thawing some out today and give one of these a go. Will report back for sure!
The Chicken Ranch
AG
I only buy wild Alaskan Salmon. My understanding is that all Atlantic Salmon is farmed, probably in the Faroe Islands. Maybe that is why you don't like it.
Matsui
AG
Yes Atlantic salmon is all farm raised. Never buy that stuff.
fta09
AG
Honestly, I like it with just salt and pepper, but I don't eat that more than once a week so I can see that getting old. When I do dress it up, a creamy dill sauce is good and I also like pesto.
jetescamilla
AG
Made a version of the tequila lime recipe yesterday without the tequila, family loved it. Used the following instead...

Marinade:
cup fresh orange juice
extra-virgin olive oil
chopped fresh cilantro
chopped garlic
kosher salt
pepper
ground cumin

My kids are sensitive to spice so I had to cut the jalapenos. If it was for myself I would have indulged.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Garlic, fresh black pepper, lemon on a cedar board...I never get tired of that.

You can ship me any fish you don't want.
MichaelJ
AG
Cure some

Make some lox
fta09
AG
Since you said your go to is oven or cedar plank, have you tried pan seared? Getting a super crispy outside while having the inside still medium rare makes it so good.
Arctic Ag
AG
Some things I've done to keep myself from the same fish boredom:

-use smoked salmon to replace tuna in recipes (I.e. Salmon salad sandwich)
-salmon patties to make burgers
-salmon cakes (like crab cakes)
-fry it like catfish and serve with hush puppies, coleslaw, and other fixins
-grill it with salt, pepper, garlic, crushed red pepper, and brown sugar. Serve with rice and veggies
-smoked salmon, cream cheese, sour cream, salt, pepper, garlic, chives, mix and serve with toasted French bread or crackers
-tacos
-beer battered

If you have relatives down south, use it as trade material for other forms of food.
Tabasco
AG
I always grill, and just had it with copycat Benihana Mustard Sauce (one of the two they give you at teppanyaki places like Benihana or Shogun). This is seriously LEGIT... so good!!!!

I perfected it by looking at various sites, and tweeking as necessary. BTW, it freezes great... we put small amount in ziplocks for future use. Blend until smooth.

Single batch:
2 tablespoons dry mustard
1.5 teaspoons sugar
5 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1 tablespoon lightly toasted sesame seeds
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 garlic clove

4X batch:
1/2 cup dry mustard

6 teaspoons sugar
1 cup milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
4 tablespoon lightly toasted sesame seeds
3/4 cup soy sauce (better than a full cup)
4+ garlic clove

lotsofhp
AG
Has anyone had the hot smoked salmon at Pappadoux? My goodness is it fantastic.

Any ideas on how to make that?

Edit: is it just smoked salmon with a sauce made from maple syrup and mustard?
GoneGirl
AG
Salt and pepper, a little garlic salt and tony chachere creole seasoning. Saute in olive oil and butter - couple minutes on each side - serve with white rice and steamed broccoli....

We never have leftovers. It's my 2 boy's favorite meal.
"If you're in the midst of a midlife crisis, you could buy a convertible, have an affair, or upgrade your cup size. But you'll probably be happiest if you save a dog's life." - Jen Lancaster
thisguy05
AG
Thought about this thread tonight. Seared sockeye salmon skin side down in clarified butter with some Hawaiian salt in cast iron skillet, finished in oven. Super crispy skin. Served with buerre blanc. Best I've ever made
OldArmyAggie94
AG
1. Cooked Salmon
2. 2eggs
3. Miracle Whip

Mix that together and make patties.

Crush one sleeve of saltines. Bread the patties in the saltines.

Melt 1 cup of Crisco until hot. Fry these bad boys...by now your house smells like a fish fry.

Cool until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.

Put one on your plate. Go to Fridge and get ketchup...pour all over. This is how I had to eat it as a kid...my mom used canned salmon....Salmon is not my favorite.
skelly02
AG
Paul prudholmme's magic salmon seasoning.
Put in COLD oven and heat to 400. Cook for 22 minutes. It's fantastic and easy. We eat this every other week.

Cold oven start prevents drying out/ white gummy discharge you can get from overcooking
Matsui
AG
Do you do this skin side down? And then prob don't eat skin?
skelly02
AG
Matsui- yes skin down.

My dog loves the skin
TexAg2001
AG
Maybe not a "go to" recipe, but we've done this Salmon with Avocado Salsa several times and it is quick, easy, and tastes great. The avocado salsa is the star of the show in the recipe for me, but the salmon is pretty great too. Just be careful not to overcook the salmon. Also, definitely prepare the avocado salsa 30 minutes or longer prior to eating. The longer is sits in the fridge, the better the flavors come together.

https://www.thecookierookie.com/salmon-with-avocado/

I noticed that a video in the link shows the avocado and onions sliced and not chopped. Definitely recommend chopping/dicing them.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.