Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Pantry guilty pleasures

7,295 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by rooftop18403
rooftop18403
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We all know the recipe with the chicken baked with Italian dressing or the roast with onion soup mix. What's pantry/ recipe staple that you aren't proud of but you seem to keep around?
Bruce Almighty
AG
I still like queso made with velveeta. Everyone loved it 15 years ago until the internet called it garbage.
Ag_07
AG
Not even gonna lie...On weeknights when we're pinched for time I'll do instant mashed potatoes. They're pretty damn good too. We always have a couple packs in the pantry.
rooftop18403
Bruce Almighty said:

I still like queso made with velveeta. Everyone loved it 15 years ago until the internet called it garbage.
My last year in college, '08, a friend of mine had a dip recipe that was always a hit. He was so proud of it but got so pissed when he brought it to a party and then someone else brought the classis Velveeta. He said no matter what the dip is or how good it is it will always take second fiddle to Velveeta. Still true today but no one will admit it.
bigboykin
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Velveeta and Rotel is cheap, easy, and delicious. Internet food snobbery be damned.

Hidden Valley ranch powder is always in my pantry. A packet, a stick of butter, and a jar of pepperoncini on a roast in the crock pot makes badass Italian beef sammies. Last night I tossed some wings in ranch powder and grilled them. You can do a ton with it, and it's always tasty. Who doesn't love ranch?
The Milkman
AG
rooftop18403 said:

Bruce Almighty said:

My last year in college, '08, a friend of mine had a dip recipe that was always a hit. He was so proud of it but got so pissed when he brought it to a party and then someone else brought the classis Velveeta. He said no matter what the dip is or how good it is it will always take second fiddle to Velveeta. Still true today but no one will admit it.
Velveeta, spicy rotel, and some milk to thin it out a bit and thats a solid queso.

If I've got the queen of england coming over then i'll toss in ground beef, cilantro, and jalapenos too
Tanya 93
French dressing mixed with jellied cranberry sauce and poured over chicken breasts or thighs in a Crock-Pot.

Cake mix cookies
Tanya 93
bigboykin said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Velveeta and Rotel is cheap, easy, and delicious. Internet food snobbery be damned.

Hidden Valley ranch powder is always in my pantry. A packet, a stick of butter, and a jar of pepperoncini on a roast in the crock pot makes badass Italian beef sammies. Last night I tossed some wings in ranch powder and grilled them. You can do a ton with it, and it's always tasty. Who doesn't love ranch?

Me
lazuras_dc
AG
Ag_07 said:

Not even gonna lie...On weeknights when we're pinched for time I'll do instant mashed potatoes. They're pretty damn good too. We always have a couple packs in the pantry.

Unless home made mashed potatoes are done really well, instant mashed potatoes is going to be better in my book. My father in law got super offended when he found out I thought instant was better than his mother's mashed potatoes !
schmendeler
AG
instant mashed potatoes have this nasty taste that I immediately pick up whenever they are used. can't do it. I don't understand how people can eat them, for example the ones at any fried chicken chain. disgusting.
rooftop18403
On the topic of cheap queso,don't forget about the red-headed step child of queso, cream cheese with sausage. 2 blocks of cream cheese, 1 can of Rotel and 1 Lb of Owens/ Jimmy Dean country sausage.

I would be open a hearing a few good nicknames for this dish.
Tanya 93
My grandma would cook up flour dusted cube steak until browned and then summer with two cans of Campbell's french onion soup and sliced bell peppers and zucchini.
GtownRAB
AG
That cream cheese is really good. We have made it a few times for parties and someone always ask for the "recipe."

As far as velveeta, it tastes way to fake. It is decent with beer. If we make it, we had either milk/cream or a can of cream of mushroom soup to cut the fake taste it has. Also add either ground meat, chili, or sauted onions/jalapeos. I am not a food snob that will turn it down, but it needs some doctoring.

FincAg
AG
Betty Crocker Triple Chunk Brownie Mix

https://www.bettycrocker.com/products/betty-crocker-brownies-and-dessert-bars/triple-chunk-brownie

My wife is pregnant. If I hear eggs cracking after 8pm, there is about to be brownies.
Punked Shank
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Hidden Valley ranch powder is always in my pantry. A packet, a stick of butter, and a jar of pepperoncini on a roast in the crock pot makes badass Italian beef sammies.

The Mississippi roast. I discovered this crock pot last year. My brother came to town to visit and now sends me pictures Every time he makes it for his family.

Might have to make this again this weekend.
agfan2013
AG
Funfetti cake mix. Simple to make and throw some premade frosting on there and you've got an easy dessert that tastes good. Come at me bros.
HHAG
AG
Nachos. Chips, shredded sharp cheddar and salsa. Simple, easy and quick.
beanbean
Velveeta Shells and Cheese
javajaws
AG
agfan2013 said:

Funfetti cake mix. Simple to make and throw some premade frosting on there and you've got an easy dessert that tastes good. Come at me bros.

Funfetti brownie mix too!
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
schmendeler
AG
Nutella on Oreos
Long Live Sully
AG
schmendeler said:

Nutella on Oreos
Tanya 93
schmendeler said:

Nutella on Oreos

Nutella on peanut butter brownies
biobioprof
ramen
Robert C. Christian
AG
agfan2013 said:

Can't argue. Funfetti is my pick for birthday cake every year. Check out the oreo flavor!
62strat
AG
schmendeler said:

instant mashed potatoes have this nasty taste that I immediately pick up whenever they are used. can't do it. I don't understand how people can eat them, for example the ones at any fried chicken chain. disgusting.
thise dollar bags of Idaho an instant mash taste nothing like fast food mash. We eat them often, like said above, they can taste better than homemade mash, which tends to be bland.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Homemade mashed potatoes are amazing and super easy.
cpscAG06
AG
schmendeler
AG
62strat said:

schmendeler said:

thise dollar bags of Idaho an instant mash taste nothing like fast food mash. We eat them often, like said above, they can taste better than homemade mash, which tends to be bland.

There is one brand, perhaps this one you mentioned that is significantly better than the usual. They come in one meal-sized bags. They have much less of that fake taste, but it's still there, slightly, to my palate.
schmendeler
AG
Cow Hop Ag said:

schmendeler said:

Nutella on Oreos

Yes sir
schmendeler
AG
Also, Nutella and creamy jif mixed together and spooned onto a banana a bite at a time.
Bruce Almighty
AG
schmendeler said:

Nutella on Oreos

This gives me diabetes just reading it. For the sake of your health, I hope this is an every now and then treat.
schmendeler
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

schmendeler said:

Nutella on Oreos

This gives me diabetes just reading it. For the sake of your health, I hope this is an every now and then treat.

Yeah. Haven't done it in quite some time. I prevent it by not buying Oreos. Otherwise...
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Tanya 93 said:

bigboykin said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Me

It may be time for TexAgs to conduct an intervention concerning your ranch dressing issues.
62strat
AG
schmendeler said:

62strat said:

schmendeler said:

There is one brand, perhaps this one you mentioned that is significantly better than the usual. They come in one meal-sized bags. They have much less of that fake taste, but it's still there, slightly, to my palate.
These are the kind I've only ever had, it's about 3 servings (a normal serving, not what is suggested on the bag)

$1-$2, and I think are pretty damn good. There are several 'flavors'; four cheese, roasted garlic, etc. They aren't fake mashed potatoes at all; just real, dehydrated potatoes.

I think they are much different than the fake mash of yore. (I don't know cause I never had it growing up, but I could imagine)
schmendeler
AG
62strat said:

schmendeler said:

62strat said:

schmendeler said:

These are the kind I've only ever had, it's about 3 servings (a normal serving, not what is suggested on the bag)

$1-$2, and I think are pretty damn good. There are several 'flavors'; four cheese, roasted garlic, etc. They aren't fake mashed potatoes at all; just real, dehydrated potatoes.

I think they are much different than the fake mash of yore. (I don't know cause I never had it growing up, but I could imagine)
i recognize the bag. they are by far the best "instant" I've tasted. but in my opinion, still not nearly as good as "fresh" mashed potatoes.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.