Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Netflix: Ugly Delicious

9,369 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Max Power
Max Power
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
New show from David Chang, highly recommend if you enjoy food centric tv. First two episodes were pizza and tacos, and they were both great. Curious to see the bbq episode.
chico
AG
Good show. I watched the Houston episode and the fried chicken episode. Both enjoyable
LawHall88
AG
Netflix has some good food-centric programming.
HvilleAggie
AG
I might be biased, but the Houston episode was awesome
Max Power
AG
I've made it through most of the episodes and I really enjoy this show. The main idea this show asks is "What is_______?" Granted all these questions are asked from his perspective he does a great job and illustrating how so many American foods have been adopted by and also have Asian roots. I wasn't a huge fan of the BBQ episode (they made a stop at Snow's) but I'll admit the only way I probably would have been happy is if the entire episode was about Texas bbq. I've probably enjoyed the fried rice episode the most so far, sad I only have one episode to go. He has a lot of similarities with Bourdain, but still unique enough that this show is it's own thing.
La Fours
AG
I really enjoy David Chang in this show and the first season of Mind of a Chef.

It was great to see a lot of the same people he worked with during the first season of MoaC. Sean Brock and Rene Redzeppi especially. I loved the Thanksgiving episode and how he interacted with his family and Meehan. The Houston episode was pretty cool too. I really want to go check out Crawfish & Noodles.

schmendeler
AG
I liked that he was willing to admit he enjoyed Domino's. I like Bourdain but I can't see him ever doing that.
La Fours
AG
I will add that it looked like Sean Brock was very uncomfortable when they were eating at Bolton's and David was asking the woman about Hattie B's and the fact that the owner/chef is a white guy. It was either the conversation, or the hot chicken was doing a number on him.
BQRyno
AG
I like the show....except for the 15-20 minutes every once in a while where they feel the need to get political. Can we talk about tacos without diving into illegal immigration? Can we learn the different styles of fried chicken without hearing how racist Popeyes is? Do we need to have jokes with black Americans overseas about how maybe now they'd rather be mistaken as Africans than embrace being American? It's a totally unnecessary aspect of an otherwise enjoyable show.
schmendeler
AG
Maybe others enjoy those aspects of the show and are glad they were included?
BQRyno
AG
Yes, folks who are left leaning and feel the need to interject their own politics into everything. Those folks that are the reason I can't even watch even something like sports without being politically lectured. I must be silly for thinking cooking shows and sports shouldn't effectively alienate half their potential viewers.
schmendeler
AG
BQRyno said:

Yes, folks who are left leaning and feel the need to interject their own politics into everything. Those folks that are the reason I can't even watch even something like sports without being politically lectured. I must be silly for thinking cooking shows and sports shouldn't effectively alienate half their potential viewers.

It's a food show and also about cultures around that food. Food Network will let you turn off your brain is that's all you want. I enjoy things that challenge even if I don't agree with them.
BQRyno
AG
I'll agree to disagree. When he talks to a female black African American studies professor who says Popeyes is racist for having a southern black woman in their commercials, or when I hear "A taco is resistance, politics, all that stuff", what I hear isn't a rational challenge. I think there is plenty to address culturally without getting political. So like I said, I'll agree to disagree.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I've seen the first two shows and loved the pizza episode but thought the taco episode was just ok. The pizza episode seemed to be totally anti hipster, millennial, it isn't good if it isn't authentic. It's ok to like Domino's and just because it's Italian, doesn't mean it's good. The taco episode seemed to push authenticity a lot more.
MichaelJ
AG
BQRyno said:

I'll agree to disagree. When he talks to a female black African American studies professor who says Popeyes is racist for having a southern black woman in their commercials, or when I hear "A taco is resistance, politics, all that stuff", what I hear isn't a rational challenge. I think there is plenty to address culturally without getting political. So like I said, I'll agree to disagree.

Aren't you injecting your political view on this thread by ranting about the opposite political view being injected in to this show?
BQRyno
AG
MichaelJ said:

BQRyno said:

Aren't you injecting your political view on this thread by ranting about the opposite political view being injected in to this show?
A) What political opinion of mine did I inject? These are examples of political opinions presented in the show.

B) I would hold the same view if conservative views were pushed in this show. Let it be about culture, not politics.
MichaelJ
AG
I feel like you ranting and complaining about the "liberal agenda" implies you're a conservative.
However making mention of any politics is really forcing politics in general in to a discussion that isn't about politics.
BQRyno
AG
MichaelJ said:

I feel like you ranting and complaining about the "liberal agenda" implies you're a conservative.
However making mention of any politics is really forcing politics in general in to a discussion that isn't about politics.
Again, I would be against the show pushing a conservative agenda as well. I would prefer it be about culture, not politics. I'm not sure how else I can say that.

As for making mention of politics and therefore forcing politics into a discussion that isn't about politics, this is a discussion about a show. Part of that show is politics, and that's something I criticized. The way I read your comment is:
1) There is a show about food and culture that gets political on occasion.
2) There's a discussion about people's opinions of the show.
3) I give my opinion of the show, which includes my wish that it hadn't gotten political.
4) You say I'm forcing politics into a discussion that isn't about politics.

The discussion is about the show. The show has politics. I wish it didn't. If I say that in the context of show discussion, I don't see how I am the political instigator.

I like 85% of the show. I like the concept. There's one thing I don't like. I think that's reasonable and that my opinion is just as valid as anyone else's.
MichaelJ
AG
Initially you did just say you didn't like the political aspect. But when challenged and you doubled down, you specifically called out the left. That's interjecting politics
BQRyno
AG
The only reason politics was even on the table for discussion was that it was in the show. I mentioned a part of the show in a conversation about the show. But yes, please tell me more about how I'm just interjecting politics.
Frankly
Great show. I am a Dallasite but I loved the Houston one too. Really cool. I was in Toronto last night and ate at Momo***u. Some bbq pork buns and ramen
BQRyno
AG
Frankly said:

Great show. I am a Dallasite but I loved the Houston one too. Really cool. I was in Toronto last night and ate at Momo***u. Some bbq pork buns and ramen
How was it?
Seven Costanza
AG
It's hard not to roll your eyes at "a taco is not just a taco. A taco is resistance."
schmendeler
AG
Seven Costanza said:

It's hard not to roll your eyes at "a taco is not just a taco. A taco is resistance."

Yeah he's full of ****
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
David Chang seemed like a dick in this series. Did not enjoy it.
schmendeler
AG
Head Ninja In Charge said:

his fixation/blind preference for asian dishes is kind of tiresome.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
That part doesn't really bother me. You prefer what you prefer and he's a Korean who became famous making Japanese food, so him leaning towards Asian cuisine makes sense.

The problem I had with this series is his insistence that people do things differently than what they're used to doing or what they love doing. Asking why people cook or don't cook a certain way is fine, but he was more than condescending/indignant in a few episodes. It really stood out in the Shrimp & Crawfish episode when he tried to question why the Vietnamese girl in New Orleans made crawfish in a traditional New Orleans style and not in the Viet Cajun style because she wasn't "from New Orleans" and she quickly corrected him by saying she was born and raised there.

As an Asian American himself, that was embarrassing that he would even make that assumption. GTFOH.
Duncan Idaho
Head Ninja In Charge said:

He has always struck me as a bit of dick.

And not the "I'd love to get drunk and argue with this guy" kind of dick (like bordain). But the "you just suck to be around and you aren't nearly as great as you think you are" kind of dick
MichaelJ
AG
I thought he got a bit Dickish in the pizza episode. He just suddenly looks at the camera and says, "that's my last delivery, I'm done with this dh/t"
Duncan Idaho
MichaelJ said:

I thought he got a bit Dickish in the pizza episode. He just suddenly looks at the camera and says, "that's my last delivery, I'm done with this dh/t"

Yeah I didn't get why that last 3 seconds wasn't cut. If I didn't know better I would think it was an editor being passive agressive towards him.
Seven Costanza
AG
I was wondering the same thing. It served no purpose to leave that in.
La Fours
AG
He's one of the producers of the show. No way that was left in without his knowledge. But I agree, it served no purpose other than to show that he's a bit of an *******.
Aggie09Derek
AG
La Fours said:

I will add that it looked like Sean Brock was very uncomfortable when they were eating at Bolton's and David was asking the woman about Hattie B's and the fact that the owner/chef is a white guy. It was either the conversation, or the hot chicken was doing a number on him.

He checked into rehab after the show for alcohol. I kind of wondered what was up with him on the show, he didn't look so great and his cheeks were always red.
La Fours
AG
Damn. I didn't know about that. I hope the best for him. I did notice how his cheeks always seemed to be flush on Ugly Delicious and the episodes he was on for Mind of a Chef.
LawHall88
AG
Brock also has an auto-immune disease that causes all kinds of health problems.

Quote:

It's amazing how much my myasthenia gravis [ed. note: Brock was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease in 2016] is linked to this. If I don't stay grounded and happy, my immune system goes nuts, and I lose the ability to see clearly and for my nerves to communicate with my muscles and my muscles to communicate with my nerves. It's pretty crazy that it took this to happen for me to step back and look at what I was putting myself through.
https://charleston.eater.com/2017/7/7/15930002/sean-brock-rehab
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.