Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Recipe management?

1,768 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Arctic Ag
hbc07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We've currently got a stack 3 or 4ft high of various cooking magazines and are looking to clear the clutter. Anyone out there use any recipe management apps/websites?

Started using Copy Me That this afternoon and so far I'm liking it.
Paprika looks nice, but at $20 per PC install and $7 per phone install, it's more than I want to spend.
Pepperplate looked promising, but I couldn't get it to import any recipes without giving an error.
momlaw
AG
Curious to see responses.

I have many pages of recipes I've printed along with select comments. Would love to organize in a more friendly retrievable/accessible manner.
momlaw
rilloaggie
AG
I use Evernote. Works pretty well, organize however you want, and as an added bonus you can clip recipes and save directly to Evernote. I do this for the NYT Cooking webpage since they started charging for it. Go through once a week or so and clip the free stuff I like before they put it back behind the pay wall.
rhoswen
AG
I just use Google Drive. Or Pinterest!
aggiespartan
AG
rhoswen said:

The problem is that if the webpage goes away, you can't get to it from Pinterest.
fta09
AG
I don't know a quick and easy way to go from cookbooks to digital. My wife has put together a binder for me with cards/inserts for the stuff I use most often.

For others, I usually type up an email and send it to myself (Gmail). This lets me easily use my phone while at the store or tablet while cooking to pull up a recipe. This would be tedious to do going cookbook-by-cookbook, but it works for recipes that I have tweaked and made as my own.
rhoswen
AG
aggiespartan said:

rhoswen said:

The problem is that if the webpage goes away, you can't get to it from Pinterest.

Yeah ones I use repeatedly I copy into a google doc onto Drive.
rhoswen
AG
fta09 said:

I don't know a quick and easy way to go from cookbooks to digital. My wife has put together a binder for me with cards/inserts for the stuff I use most often.

For others, I usually type up an email and send it to myself (Gmail). This lets me easily use my phone while at the store or tablet while cooking to pull up a recipe. This would be tedious to do going cookbook-by-cookbook, but it works for recipes that I have tweaked and made as my own.

You could take a picture of the recipe & upload that.
fta09
AG
Good call and I've done that before but did not think of it!
fav13andac1)c
AG
I use the free Google drive account you get with your aggienetwork email. I have a folder labeled "Recipes" with Google docs and screenshots.

If I find a recipe I like in a magazine, I take a picture with my phone, which I have set to backup to my Google drive using Google Photos, then copy/paste the pic into the Recipes folder.
mazag08
AG
Google keep. Snap a picture and save to google keep. You can then share it to a lot of other apps or just keep it in keep.
sangria
AG
I save all my digital recipes as a PDF to my Dropbox account. I'm in the process of cleaning out old cooking magazines too. For ones I can't find online, I'm taking pictures with CamScanner and uploading the PDFs to Dropbox.

If you have a lot of cookbooks and cooking magazines, check out Eat Your Books. I quit subscribing to food magazines because I can browse most of the recipes online through EYB. Magazines like Cooking Light, Saveur, Bon Appetit, Food & Wine all have their recipes online, so this has cleared a lot of clutter out of my house.

EYB has a free option, but if you want to take advantage of all the benefits, I think the yearly membership cost is $30.
cr
sangria said:

I save all my digital recipes as a PDF to my Dropbox account. I'm in the process of cleaning out old cooking magazines too. For ones I can't find online, I'm taking pictures with CamScanner and uploading the PDFs to Dropbox.

If you have a lot of cookbooks and cooking magazines, check out Eat Your Books. I quit subscribing to food magazines because I can browse most of the recipes online through EYB. Magazines like Cooking Light, Saveur, Bon Appetit, Food & Wine all have their recipes online, so this has cleared a lot of clutter out of my house.

EYB has a free option, but if you want to take advantage of all the benefits, I think the yearly membership cost is $30.

Dropbox has the ability to treat your camera phone as a PDF scan and upload it to Dropbox. That might save you some time.
sangria
AG
Thanks, garc! I feel silly that I never noticed that feature with Dropbox. That will definitely save me some time.
AGGIE WH08P
AG
It's a little more work.... but
I create contact cards in my phone and add it to the notes section. They all begin with "Recipe-....". That way if I have a certain chicken recipe but cant remember the whole title, I just type in a few letter and can usually find it quickly. It's always on me so if I need ingredients at the store, it's there.

I do the same for food temperatures. If I want to cook a certain meat to medium rare, I just pull up my contact card for food temps. Ya I could google it, but when I'm hunting, I might not have service.
Arctic Ag
AG
I guess I'm old school. Magazine recipe (or any other recipe) that passes my taste test gets clipped with scissors and put in my recipe box. Batteries never die on paper, you don't have to worry about the screen hibernation, and no server to worry about. Laminate it if you want to spill proof it
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.