Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Hummingbird cake

2,588 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Mathguy64
aggiespartan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
why has no one told me how delicious this is? I've never had it before, but it's amazing.

What are you favorite cake flavors?
Propane & Accessories
AG
Two words: Cookie cake
HTownAg98
That's just a big ass cookie. Nothing wrong with it, but it isn't cake.

Carrot cake, red velvet cake, and Italian Cream cake are my favorites, mainly because both have cream cheese frosting.
Tanya 93
Lemon blueberry pound cake
Carrot cake
Flourless chocolate cake
biobioprof
Is hummingbird cake like 4 and 20 blackbirds baked in a pie?

Too much work to catch the hummingbirds.
schmendeler
AG
big fan of hummingbird cake. to me, it's like the more exotic cousin of carrot cake.
schmendeler
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Carrot cake, red velvet cake, and Italian Cream cake are my favorites, mainly because both have cream cheese frosting.
and cookie cake usually results in a crappy cookie. so bad cake, bad cookie, double fail.
aggiespartan
AG
schmendeler said:

HTownAg98 said:

and cookie cake usually results in a crappy cookie. so bad cake, bad cookie, double fail.
I have a pretty good recipe for cookie cake. I haven't made it more than a handful of times though. My husband really likes cookie cakes, but I just found a chocolate cake he really likes.
biobioprof
aggiespartan said:

schmendeler said:

HTownAg98 said:

I have a pretty good recipe for cookie cake. I haven't made it more than a handful of times though. My husband really likes cookie cakes, but I just found a chocolate cake he really likes.
Based on the other pics you've posted, I suspect that you're starting with a much higher quality cookie than we usually see in cookie cakes.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I much prefer pie over cake, but my favorite cake is probably coconut. I also enjoy a good tres leches cake.
BQ78
AG
bushytailed
AG
tres leches cake
basic yellow cake with chocolate frosting
red velvet with cream cheese frosting
agdaddy04
AG
Never heard of hummingbird cake. My favorite is German Chocolate
Rongagin71
AG
Rum cake, drenched in butter/rum sauce.
Irish soda bread with raisins for "not so sweet".
Duncan Idaho
I thought this was going to be a picture of your latest creation. Had never heard of hummingbird cake before.
aggiespartan
AG
It doesn't look that fancy, but it's delicious. Also, not sure why it's sideways.

jtp01
AG
There are a lot of County shows that have been won by the hummingbird cake. My oldest son is a foodie and he made one from scratch for the County show and placed in the youth division. We were adamant that he do the entire thing start to finish. The only help he had was putting the cake in the oven and then taking it out. Everything else was his responsibility and he honestly did really well.

When we arrived to the turn in, it was laughable what kids turned in as their own work. So much so the ladies working the turn in mentioned "wow, a kid that actually did his own project".
biobioprof
aggiespartan said:

It doesn't look that fancy, but it's delicious. Also, not sure why it's sideways.

not sideways for me. Your not fancy looks better than anything I've ever made.
aggiespartan
AG
Here's the latest one. I like to think of it as an adult super hero birthday cake.

herb11
AG
My favorite and the one my kids and nephews always ask me to make is chocolate cake with cream cheese icing.

I've never heard of humming bird cake, I'll need to look into that.
Oogway
Tanya 93 said:

Lemon blueberry pound cake
Carrot cake
Flourless chocolate cake

I used to make fun of the flourless chocolate cake eaters and then my oldest (who loves to bake) made one to test a recipe prior to making one for a friend. Wow, I was wrong and ate crow and cake as it was delicious!

Never had a hummingbird cake, will have to try it. Personal favorite is chocolate cake or mandarin orange cake.
rwv2055
AG
My first thought was how would you ever clean enough hummingbirds to make a cake.
Bruce Almighty
AG
My wife made this cake this weekend and it was probably the best cake I've ever had.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2018/02/bravetarts-devils-food-cake.html
biobioprof
rwv2055 said:

My first thought was how would you ever clean enough hummingbirds to make a cake.
It would be like making crab cakes.
Mathguy64
AG
rwv2055 said:

Thats why its really important to make your nectar really strong and let it ferment. That way the hummers get drunk and fall to the ground. Makes them easy to collect and improves the flavor.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.