Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

House-made bacon slicing

1,712 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by tsuag10
BigCountryAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've used the bacon thread for recipes and ideas and made my first run at making my own bacon last weekend. Still have questions not addressed in the bacon thread.

Costco was out of belly's that day so I went to a local mexican meat market in Leander and they broke 2 frozen whole bellies out of an IBP box for me. I paid what they asked. Said they had not had that request before. I laughed. Not unreasonable on $.

I skinned the bellies, cut up into workable sizes (4 total slabs) and then proceeded to brine for 7 days. Smoked them last weekend and have had them refrigerated since. I sliced up one of them the other day on my 8.5" slicer from Academy, which actually worked just fine. The bacon was amazing. Did one brown-sugar/bourbon, one black pepper and 2 regular. However...

I have a gripe in that the capacity of the meat tray on my slicer only accommodates 6"-7.5" slabs and my slabs are 9-11" when cutting across the grain. I have to hold it at a weird, and unsafe angle to get it through the slicer. Otherwise, the slicer worked flawlessly. Plenty of power and cutting ability. Nice, clean slices.

Are there any recommendations for a proper slicer for bacon? Yes, I know a sharp knife works fine, and I have plenty of them, but want consistency and a larger cutting capacity/throat on the slicer. Not looking to break the bank, would pay up to $350-$400 for the right slicer as I plan to do this again soon.

Suggestions?
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day...DON'T teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man...and fishing's not that hard" - Ron Swanson
Max Power
AG
I have one of these, not perfect, but gets the job done. I can get through a whole slab fairly quickly.

https://www.amazon.com/ChefsChoice-Electric-Stainless-Cantilever-Continuous/dp/B0058VCYWS/ref=sr_1_4?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1518649207&sr=1-4&keywords=meat+slicer
schmendeler
AG
Have you considered rolling it (like pancetta) while slicing?
Hodor
AG
I have the same. It doesn't have a large enough tray I'm my opinion, though I've been able to make it work. Sometimes wish I had a bigger one.
Duncan Idaho
schmendeler said:

Have you considered rolling it (like pancetta) while slicing?
this was going to be my suggestion

Or just cut it in half
AlaskanAg99
AG
Keep an eye open on restaurant supply store auctions. You can maybe find a slicer for a steal.

https://mainauctionservices.com

I've bought multiple items from these guys. Just make sure you double check the auction location else you'll have a 4 hr drive to pick up the item.
schmellba99
AG
I have a meat slicer that was a wedding gift, probably a relatively cheap one. I've never had good luck with it on slicing something long like a pork belly. The tray and the way it holds the meat leaves a lot of room for the meat to move, which always seems to end up with the back end of the slab of meat having a curve to it.

Could be me and just not knowing how to operate it correctly, even if it seems pretty straight forward. How do you guys keep the meat square to the blade so you get good uniform cuts?
Texmid
AG
I would go back to that Mexican meat market, hand them a five dollar bill, and ask them to slice it for me.
tsuag10
AG
Make sure that its as cold as possible for slicing. 28-30F is best if you're using a mechanical slicer. You might have to go a little warmer if you're slicing by hand with a knife. Commercial bacon processors slice around 28F.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.