Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Pappasitos Sauce Recipe

14,914 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AggieFrankTX
Arctic Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
does anyone here know how to make that creamy sauce they give out with the chips and salsa? It's been a while since I've had it and I'm craving it. No pappasitos within 4-5k miles

Thanks in advance
Bruce Almighty
AG
Is it green?
Arctic Ag
AG
Yeah, the green stuff
Bruce Almighty
AG
I don't know the recipe for Pappasitos, but pretty much every green table salsa in Houston is a riff on the green sauce from Ninfa's. Here's the recipe and its pretty much spot on.

http://www.homesicktexan.com/2007/01/salsa-salvation-ninfas-green-sauce.html
Arctic Ag
AG
Many thanks. You don't know how much I have been craving that stuff
schmendeler
AG
the pappasito's green sauce is quite different (and in my opinion, not as good) as the typical green sauce you find at los cucos, ninfa's, or el tiempo.

it's more watery and has more cumin (I think) and cilantro. it has that BO odor to me.
Max Power
AG
As someone no longer in Texas I can vouch for that recipe on Homesick Texan. The green tomatoes weren't easy to come by but I was able to track some down.
JYDog90
AG
Chuy's creamy J laughs at your "sauces"
schmendeler
AG
willie wonka said:

I like ranch dressing, too, bro
RGV AG
AG
I rarely eat at Papasitos, some of their food is pretty good, but I can't say I recall their salsa's. But if it is a creamy salsa the best example of recipe I could find is this youtube video. This is how creamy Jalapeno sauce is made Mexico over for the most part. Some add other types of peppers like serrano's or arbol's for heat and some just use straight japs.

I make my creamy salsa like this one except I put a few slices of raw onion in with the cooked peppers and onions as well as another pod of raw garlic. I also like some cumin in the mix and Goya Adobo seasoning. i also use a little cilantro, not much, but just a little. The powderd caldo deal is also important.

This type of sauce will only stay creamy about 18 hours or so refrigerated, the heat can be adjusted via the seeds of the japs, but I would sample the japs before using them. Most today are pretty mild so I usually go all in with the seeds and use an arbol or two for added heat. Of course my wife and daughter won't eat it but such is life. When I am making it for only us I pretty much seed all the japs except for one and I use more cilantro. I know some people that use fresh oil that they feed into the blender like making mayonnaise.

But for a taqueria style creamy sauce this a good way to make it and it will be tasty.
tmaggies
AG
schmendeler said:

willie wonka said:

I like ranch dressing, too, bro

You beat me to it
thisguy05
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

I don't know the recipe for Pappasitos, but pretty much every green table salsa in Houston is a riff on the green sauce from Ninfa's. Here's the recipe and its pretty much spot on.

http://www.homesicktexan.com/2007/01/salsa-salvation-ninfas-green-sauce.html

I made this tonight for the first time. So good!
AggieFrankTX
willie wonka said:

Recipe:

Buy bottle of Ranch dressing
Dice 1/2 jalapeno pepper
Mix
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.