Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Gin anyone?

3,928 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by DPlainview
DiskoTroop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've always had a soft spot for gin. I'm typically a whiskey guy, and occasionally a quality rum but every now and then I do enjoy a good gin drink.

I recently found a fantastic gin that's had be in the gin mood more often in recent weeks.

Anyone ever had Nolet's Gin?

I've been enjoying it as a simple martini and as a dirty martini. Fantastic flavor!

What's your favorite gin?
WES2006AG
AG
My favorite gin is vodka
The Milkman
AG
I've found that growing my own juniper berries and making it myself is really what my family and friends enjoy most.

Its really not that hard
powerbelly
AG
I usually drink Plymouth gin, love a really dry martini (Churchill style "I would like to observe the vermouth from across the room while I drink my martini.")

I have been using Beefeater 24 when making a negroni lately.
'03ag
Tecolote
AG
powerbelly said:

I have been using Beefeater 24 when making a negroni lately.
Was living in London when Beefeater 24 came out. It is spectacular.
Tecolote
AG
WES2006AG said:

My favorite gin is vodka
That's interesting because gin is actually a flavored vodka. The Russians have a juniper flavored vodka and the Dutch have jenever - a rose by any other name.
HTownAg98
I typically drink Beefeater. It makes a good gin and tonic and a nice Negroni, which are my two gin drinks.
nonag97
Greyhound is my go-to cocktail and for that I use Tanqueray Rangpur or Bombay Sapphire.

Never had Nolet's, will check it out.

If I'm splurging I get Hendrick's, but it doesn't mix well with grapefruit so that goes with a simple gin&tonic.
Slicer97
AG
Moody June.
metrag06
AG
The Botanist is my go-to
ConstructionAg01
AG
Nolets is good, but I prefer Hendricks at that price point and Aviation for less.

Best value to my taste buds is Broker London Dry gin at Specs.
Hodor
AG
My favorite recently is Citadelle. Next time I go to a store I'm going to try St George Terroir, because it sounded interesting when I looked it up from the store last time. Got their Btanivore last time, and it was good, but Citadelle is better. I actually prefer it over Hendricks.

Jack Rudy tonic syrup (and a few others that they make)
Also like making a cucumber simple syrup, serve with squeeze of lime and top with soda.
Matsui
AG
Anyone tried the Trader Joe's branded gin?
Texmid
AG
Slicer97 said:

Moody June.
Plus one on the Moody June. It is made right here in Smithville and is very good.
LawHall88
AG
ConstructionAg01 said:

Nolets is good, but I prefer Hendricks at that price point and Aviation for less.

Agree on Hendricks - makes a great Tom Collins.

I don't know what the deal is with gin, but two drinks and next thing I know I'm waking up naked in the front yard. I can drink the same amount of vodka (or bourbon) without that happening.
Tecolote
AG
LawHall88 said:

ConstructionAg01 said:

I don't know what the deal is with gin, but two drinks and next thing I know I'm waking up naked in the front yard. I can drink the same amount of vodka (or bourbon) without that happening.
You do realize that gin is a much higher proof.
LawHall88
AG
Och26-58-87 said:

LawHall88 said:

ConstructionAg01 said:

"Much" higher? Vodka is 80 proof give or take, and Gin is 90 proof, right? Higher, sure...
Tecolote
AG
LawHall88 said:

Och26-58-87 said:

LawHall88 said:

ConstructionAg01 said:

"Much" higher? Vodka is 80 proof give or take, and Gin is 90 proof, right? Higher, sure...
Most quality gin in the US is 94 proof (same brands in the UK are 80 proof - go figure). Ok, noticiby higher rather than much higher.
Mr_mo8268
AG
I love Ford's gin, it's mainly in bars but it's getting traction in retail as well. It's the perfect cocktail gin.
80sGeorge
AG
Try Dripping Springs Gin. It's really good
HouseDivided06
AG
I like gin and can't stand vodka due to a very bad night right out of college. I generally have Beefeater on hand as my cheap option but I have really enjoyed Old Tom's Gin as well. Not as heavy juniper and very very smooth. Makes a great Martinez.
jh0400
AG
If you're looking for a change of pace, try Stirk's. As far as I know it's a sourced dry gin that is finished in Speyside scotch barrels.
biobioprof
I wish I had taken a phone pic so I could remember the name of the high end gin I had a couple of years ago at a DC restaurant. It was unusual in that it was a pale amber color, not colorless like most of what I see at Specs. When the waiter recommended it I thought it would be just a overhyped foodie thing, but it was really good.

I think it might have been this one:

edit to add: whoa, can I make the image smaller?!!!
Swan Song
AG
My go to is actually Bombay for cocktails. Nice and subtle and it can be found everywhere. Martinis: Bombay Sapphire. G&T: Hendricks.

My favorite gin cocktail is the Aviation. Try using Creme Yvette instead of the Violette, even better.

The best gin and tonic recipe I have found is here.

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/beverages/st-charles.html

CactusThomas
AG
Texmid said:

Slicer97 said:

Moody June.
Plus one on the Moody June. It is made right here in Smithville and is very good.

It's kind of weird but I like it too.
RangerRick9211
AG
Portobello Road is slowly moving into the US. You can find it in NYC or order on MoM. It's nostalgic for us as we visited the distillery. That and Plymouth Navy Strength are our daily drivers.
CrawfordAg
AG
I prefer Hendricks and if I go local I lean to Dripping Springs or one of Treaty Oak's experimental batches.
mazag08
AG
I'm a Boodles guy.
nonag97
80sGeorge said:

Try Dripping Springs Gin. It's really good
Thanks for the rec! Picked up a bottle this weekend. It is indeed quite good!
RangerRick9211
AG
The real question is what vermouth?

Carpano > Cinzano > Cocchi > Punt e Mes > Dolin > Not drinking a Negroni > M&R
John Francis Donaghy
RangerRick9211 said:

How is Dolin that far down your list? Far and away my favorite vermouth, although I don't think I've tried Cocchi or Punt e Mes.
RangerRick9211
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

RangerRick9211 said:

How is Dolin that far down your list? Far and away my favorite vermouth, although I don't think I've tried Cocchi or Punt e Mes.
Because it's my list.

Really, though. It's not a simple as a list. Carpano is so, just much, and vanilla forward; that I only think it balances in rye or bourbon cocktails. Cinzano and Punt e Mes are similar and make a cherry/chocolate negroni. Cocchi and Dolin make what I think is the classic Negroni. But Dolin is definitely more flat compared to Cocchi.

Dolin is a daily driver though because of cost.

And as always when discussing vermouth: remember to fridge your vermouth, and preferably hit it with wine preserver before you do.
biobioprof
RangerRick9211 said:

A friend of mine got a job bartending for a private party while we were in college. His experience was very limited. One of the partygoers ordered a martini. After my friend gave him the drink, this was the dialogue:

Old guy: I LOVE how college kids make martinis ... just the right amount of vermouth

My friend: What's vermouth?

Old guy (happily): SEE WHAT I MEAN?!!!
Superdave1993
AG
I am not a gin guy at all, but a local distillery make one that I will drink. It is aged in charred oak barrels and it makes it a bit smoother.

Rock Town barrel aged gin or Brandon's barrel aged gin. They make them both and have renamed it.

http://www.rocktowndistillery.com/

If you take the tour you get to taste virtually everything they make.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.