Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Air fryers

2,168 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by spud1910
notheranymore
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Do I *need* this appliance to go next to my Instant Pot (which I love)? Pros? Cons?
HTownAg98
Is this a troll?

No, you do not want/need an air fryer. A deep heavy pot and a good digital thermometer are all you need.
notheranymore
Not a troll
https://www.consumerreports.org/air-fryers/countertop-air-fryers-more-than-hot-air/
HTownAg98
Based on that article, you are better off getting a good toaster oven. Breville makes a very good one for around $250.
Bruce Almighty
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Is this a troll?

No, you do not want/need an air fryer. A deep heavy pot and a good digital thermometer are all you need.

Why is this a troll? The appeal of these things is that it's much healthier than traditional frying.
HTownAg98
Because they don't do anything better that your oven or a toaster oven can do. They are a glorified convection oven that aren't better than your convection oven or a good quality toaster oven with convection.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Then why not just say that instead of accusing the op of being a troll and then suggesting a deep pot for deep frying?
Proc92
Got one as a gift a few years ago. Use it maybe 2 or 3 times a year for wings and quarters. Much better than my countertop convection oven. Hotter and more convection action.
schmellba99
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Then why not just say that instead of accusing the op of being a troll and then suggesting a deep pot for deep frying?
Because an "air fryer" is a friggn broiler and if you want to actually fry, you need oil?
RK
AG
I always enjoy the reminders that every board has a contingent that take the associated subject far too seriously.
HTownAg98
Bruce Almighty said:

Because the first post from the OP was about ceramic cookware (generally not worth the money), and this subsequent post about an air fryer (also generally not worth the money). But since this isn't a troll, I apologize.
notheranymore
I'm just dim! ;-)
HTownAg98
prisschris said:

I'm just dim! ;-)

It's ok. I'm here to help, even if I may come off as a curmudgeon. Just trying to keep you from spending money on appliances you don't need and taking up valuable countertop space.
ORAggieFan
Have one. Barely use it. Has very small capacity. It is good for what it does.
BEaggie08
AG
I'll be the dissenter.

I have children. Kids eat a lot of chicken nuggets. This thing is great for cooking/reheating chicken nuggets, tenders and french fries. It can get pretty good results (crispy) if you lightly toss your "fried" food in a couple tablespoons of oil halfway through the cook.

The thing I like about it is that it's much faster than the oven or even the toaster oven we used to have. Got rid of the toaster oven shortly after getting the "air fryer".

I think it's dumb that they're called air fryers. It is literally just an electric heating element with fan behind it. So, as was previously said, it's basically a convection broiler. The payoff for me is the speed and convenience. I use mine at least 2 or 3 times a week.

Could I live without it? Absolutely. If it breaks will I replace it? Probably.
spud1910
AG
My wife got one as a gift. Pretty good for sweet potato fries and "healthy" chili rellenos but I wouldn't buy one. At least not until I learn to cook more things in it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.