Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Mezcal

2,054 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BigCountryAg
Tabasco
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I am a beer/rum/vodka guy. Really like tequila too.

For Christmas, my sister in law got me some tequila (I know what to do with this), and some Mezcal (I don't really know what to do with this. Can anyone advise?

For reference, here is what I have:
http://www.oldtowntequila.com/siembra-metl-mezcal-joven-cupreata/
John Francis Donaghy
Drink it.
Matsui
AG
Margaritas
Ag MD 84
AG
Bittermilk #6, Oaxacan Old Fashioned. Mixer made in Charleston, mix one part mixer to 4 parts Mexcal , can order on-line or buy at Central Market. Dried Mexican chilies and cocoa nibs---also goes well with rum or bourbon. Their Bittermilk #1 is a Bourbon Barrel Aged old fashioned mixer which is my "go-to" for an easy and tasty old fashioned.
Mr_mo8268
AG
Mezcal is a wonderful spirit, great story and history that's special to each brand. Smokey and complex, the Mexican version of scotch. I prefer it neat. Bozal makes a great line. Anchor distilling (which just changed names) just came out with a beautiful mezcal that's so inexpensive it's absurd, plus there are twelve different art works for labels. It's a great spirit to get into, start at the beginners like scotch then get the more complex stuff
Proc92
All of the varieties del maguey puts out are worth trying. Specs usually has a few on hand at a good range of prices.
Stan Crowch
AG
Sip it casually alongside a few cold Pacificos, some sal de gusano and a few orange slices. Thats heaven.
gigemags87
AG
Mezcal Negroni.

Equal parts compari, sweet vermouth and mezcal. Orange twist. Stir on the rocks.
Orozco05
Love me some Mezcal.

Get you some grapefruit Bitters, Agave syrup...grapefruit peel. It's nice.
Tabasco
AG
Thanks for the tips guys
Ag 11
AG
Mescal's still free at Amanda's saloon for the boys from the old Broken O
BigCountryAg
AG
Didn't know the first thing about mezcal, or tequila for that matter until a few weeks ago.
My sipping interests (bourbon>scotch>tequila) may have very well switched after getting some good stuff.

Bought a sampling of good tequila (DJ 1942, Casamigos Respo, Milagro Respo, Casa Noble Anejo and a couple others recommended on the F&S board). I also bought a Casamigos Mezcal just to try.

While they each have their own flavor characteristics, I really enjoyed the Casamigos Mezcal. Very unique flavor profile. I like the peppery kick of it, but found it very easy to enjoy. Think of mezcal to tequila as an islay scotch is to highland/speyside scotch. Once you get used to the peaty flavor of islay, your world is opened up. Mezcal is the same way, IMO.

I also really enjoyed the other selections listed above. Outstanding and unique flavor and character with each label .

Highly recommend.
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day...DON'T teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man...and fishing's not that hard" - Ron Swanson
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.