Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Philly Cheesesteak?

3,693 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Texker
StewRo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anybody have a good philly cheesesteak recipe/methodology they can share?

Stewart
The Milkman
AG
1) Try to find the best italian hoagie roll you can... thats going to be your biggest challenge
2) Sliced rib eye, onions, and peppers on a flattop with lots of S&P. Mix them together one you start to use your spatula to chop up the beef. DO NOT under any circumstances leave it in large sliced pieces.
3) Line it up in the shape of the bread. Top with provolone. Let melt
4) Throw bread on top. Spatula underneath everything and flip.
HTownAg98
Costco carries the appropriate bread.
JYDog90
AG
You're in Houston. Go to Papa Geno's. No sense reinventing the wheel with something that won't taste as good.
Formerly Willy Wonka
The Milkman
AG
While Papa Genos is very tasty... in terms of closeness to an authentic cheesesteak I cant say enough good things about Lucky's downtown. I was shocked at how good it was
StewRo
AG
which bread are you thinking HTown?
ToddyHill
AG
For what it's worth...in Philly one of the preferred options over Provolone is Cheese Whiz. Not my idea of culinary excellence but it's quite popular.
schmendeler
AG
how about a roast pork sandwich?
HTownAg98
StewRo said:

which bread are you thinking HTown?
mnow that I think about it, it is Sam's Club they carries it, not Costco. I don't k ow which one it is, but I do know that Hoodie's in Round Rock gets his bread from Sam's, and it is pretty much on point.
Buck Compton
AG
ToddyHill said:

For what it's worth...in Philly one of the preferred options over Provolone is Cheese Whiz. Not my idea of culinary excellence but it's quite popular.
Thats because it's the original Philly Cheesesteak.

But I much prefer the nuttiness of provolone. The huge advantage of cheez whiz over sliced cheese is it gets down in between all the other toppings and this is in every bite. So I've been moving to a shredded cheese when making st home.
chipotle
The next civil war will be about provolone vs cheese wiz
agdaddy04
AG
I've always liked Rocky's in Greenspoint
HTownAg98
chipotle said:

Wiz is for communists.
Max Power
AG
If it's made with wiz it's not a cheesesteak because wiz isn't ****ing cheese.
JYDog90
AG
It's funny all you "purists" on here talking about Philly cheesesteaks and provolone.
Formerly Willy Wonka
The Pilot
AG
willie wonka said:

It's funny all you "purists" on here talking about Philly cheesesteaks and provolone.
Makes you wonder if the purists have ever been to Philly.
Slicer97
AG
Had one with provolone from Pat's. Had one with Whiz from Geno's. They both sucked.

Your average bar and grill in Texas does Philly's better than Philly.
Bruce Almighty
AG
HTownAg98 said:

chipotle said:

Wiz is for communists.

Cheese Whiz is America at its finest. Provolone comes from the country that got their asses kicked in WWII. You sound like a fascist.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Slicer97 said:

Had one with provolone from Pat's. Had one with Whiz from Geno's. They both sucked.

Your average bar and grill in Texas does Philly's better than Philly.

Maybe next time you're in Philly you should actually go to a good cheesesteak place instead of a tourist trap.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Made a homemade Philly cheesesteak sandwich tonight. Was awesome. Used a simple skirt steak with the 'freeze to make it easier to slice' method.

Sauted veggies included: bell pepper, onion, mushroom, jalapeo

Broiled provolone cheese over the top of it, open face style.
jtp01
AG
My youngest has a dairy allergy. So we just make "phillies" and just add cheese to the rest of ours. It happens to be one of the few things that kid asks for virtually every week (we plan our menu every Sunday morning at breakfast).

We slice ribeye (partially frozen) as thin as I can get it. Start it on the flat top griddle, then onions, bell pepper. If we are wanting to change it up, we'll add mushrooms and jalapeos to the veggies just because he loves grilled mushrooms and I'm a sucker when it's something he WANTS and can have. Not to say that it is authentic but in our house, it's authentic if we make it.

We are by all accounts a little different, we eat meals at our table (that I built). Weekends that includes all 3 meals and weekdays we have breakfast and supper together and we each talk about our day and what we have coming up tomorrow.
The Milkman
AG
The Pilot said:

willie wonka said:

Makes you wonder if the purists have ever been to Philly.

Having lived there and had more cheesesteaks than I could count... they all have 3 cheese options. American (white), provolone, or whiz.

Whiz is not the default option and not even the majority are ordering whiz. The idea has been promulgated because that's a unique option and therefore people assume it's the only "true" way.
Cliff Booth
AG
Not for purists, but I'm making these: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/slow-cooker-roast-pork-sandwiches

Used a Dutch oven in lieu of the slow cooker. The pork turned out awesome. We'll see how the rabe goes with this "philly", but the color schemes right.
nonag97
1. Start with PRIME ribeye, par-freeze to slice very very thin, I mean like ridiculously-nearly-cut-off-your-fingers thin.

2. Choose veggies, or no veggies, of your choice. Slice/dice to your liking. I prefer onions, bell pepper, and mushrooms.

3. Get a heavy cast iron pan pretty hot.

4. Saute the meat first with oil/butter of your choosing. I prefer ghee for this. Season! I like to use steak seasoning but salt/pepper is fine, just don't skimp on it. Chop meat with spatula while cooking. Take out and set aside when done.

5. Saute veggies in the delicious brown bits left from the meat. Add more oil/butter if needed. Season! Turn the stove down to low.

6. Add meat back to pan, give it a toss with the veggies and separate into sandwich-size servings.

7. Top with whatever cheese you want. In your home, no one is judging you. I prefer American for cheesesteaks and idgaf what anyone thinks. Let it sit and ponder with the meat/veggies for a minute.

8. Flip servings onto bread of choice. Roll pretty tightly into square of tinfoil. Let it sit and ponder with the bread for a couple minutes. You can even put it in a very low oven (like 225/250) for 15 minutes or so while you prepare whatever side you're serving it with.

9. Peel back foil and enjoy!
StewRo
AG
Thanks for the heads up on Sam's hoagie rolls. They were perfect.
AggieChemist
AG
Wiz wit
Texker
AG
StewRo said:

Thanks for the heads up on Sam's hoagie rolls. They were perfect.
Ditto. And we'll plow through a container of croissants in less than 2 days.
Tom Hagen
AG
Quote:

1. Start with PRIME ribeye, par-freeze to slice very very thin, I mean like ridiculously-nearly-cut-off-your-fingers thin.

This has always been the problem for me. I don't have a deli grade meat slicer, and I do cut my fingers when trying to slice thin with a butcher's knife.
Duncan Idaho
ToddyHill said:

You have that backwards. One of the options for cheese whiz is provolone, not the other way around.

Slicer97
AG
Provalone was the original cheese.
Sorrell Booke
For those without a deli grade slicer, are you just using a butcher's knife to get it thin?

Also, anyone on here been to Tony Luke's in Houston? Care to give a review?
nonag97
Sorrell Booke said:

For those without a deli grade slicer, are you just using a butcher's knife to get it thin?

I just use a chef's knife. Par-freezing is the trick. You have no chance of cutting it thin enough, with any knife, without that step.
Duncan Idaho
Slicer97 said:

Provalone was the original cheese.

That's just because whiz hadn't been invented yet.
Slicer97
AG
Relax, dude. No one's judging you for your preference of cheese-like goop over cheese.
Texker
AG
AggieHurley said:

Not for purists, but I'm making these: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/slow-cooker-roast-pork-sandwiches

Used a Dutch oven in lieu of the slow cooker. The pork turned out awesome. We'll see how the rabe goes with this "philly", but the color schemes right.
Made this Sunday in the crockpot. It was outstanding. We went with oven roasted peppers and onions over the rabe. Thumbs up to the Sam's Club hoagie rolls too. I'm thinking the pork would make awesome pork nachos.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.