Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Favorite BBQ books?

1,970 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Tanya 93
Max Power
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a few and got some more for Christmas and was wondering what books are out there I might want to grab a copy of. I really enjoy reading about barbeque, not just the recipes. Some of the ones I have:

Franklin Barbeque - A Meat Smoking Manifesto
The Prophets of Smoked Meat - Daniel Vaughn
Legends of Texas Barbeque - Robb Walsh
Barbeque Crossroads - Robb Walsh
gigemags87
AG
Those are good ones.

Another lesser known one with some great tidbits on fire management and some unique rubs and preparation is Low and Slow by Gary Wiviott.

https://www.amazon.com/Low-Slow-Master-Barbecue-Lessons/dp/0762436093

I think meatheads book is pretty good too.

https://www.amazon.com/Meathead-Science-Great-Barbecue-Grilling/dp/054401846X

Big Bob Gibson's by Chris Lilly is another favorite. That chicken with white sauce is pretty great if you like that kind of thing.

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Bob-Gibsons-BBQ-Book/dp/0307408116
agfan2013
AG
As listed above, meathead is an excellent read. Covers a ton of stuff and I really like the myth busting sections.

I also just picked up Project Smoke due to good reviews and wanting to expand my BBQ knowledge as well. Haven't read it yet though so I can't tell you if it's good or not.
nonag97
Raichlen's The Barbecue Bible is pretty good.

Max Power
AG
Spent a lot of time on Amazing Ribs, but never got Meathead's book, will definitely look into that one.
Ag MD 84
AG
Smoke & Spice (Jamison)---still use their Wild Willy rub for beef and chicken. Texas BBQ---photography by Wyatt McSpadden (have heard he has shot photos for a new addition. I have bought three of these---one to keep, one was a gift, and I found a copy at an estate sale for $3 and may tear it up and frame some of the photos)
schmendeler
AG
Meathead's book is like the food lab for cooking outdoors.
Txmoe
AG
Adam Perry Lang's "Serious Barbecue" is still my all time favorite BBQ cookbook. Everything I've ever cooked out of it has turned out great. Only downside is that most of his recipes have several steps. I don't mind because I love to do it but that may turn off some. He's a classically trained chef who got into BBQ later so his formal training influences his recipes. For example, he has several board sauces that you literally put on your board while you're carving to add flavor; very original and inventive and tasty.

Love Franklin's BBQ Manifesto because he takes it to such extreme detail. Total BBQ nerd (that's a compliment).

I like Meathead's persona as the BBQ mythbuster. His website is very interesting and I've learned a lot from him. However, I've tried a few of his recipes and they never turn out that great for me.

Finally, I respect Robb Walsh's knowledge of cooking history but find the actual recipe portions of his books to be lacking. No disrespect to those who recommended him, he's just not my cup of tea.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Agreed in about everything, walshes books are cool and important for our food culture, but not great recipes
Tanya 93
Txmoe said:

Adam Perry Lang's "Serious Barbecue" is still my all time favorite BBQ cookbook. Everything I've ever cooked out of it has turned out great. Only downside is that most of his recipes have several steps. I don't mind because I love to do it but that may turn off some. He's a classically trained chef who got into BBQ later so his formal training influences his recipes. For example, he has several board sauces that you literally put on your board while you're carving to add flavor; very original and inventive and tasty.

Love Franklin's BBQ Manifesto because he takes it to such extreme detail. Total BBQ nerd (that's a compliment).

I like Meathead's persona as the BBQ mythbuster. His website is very interesting and I've learned a lot from him. However, I've tried a few of his recipes and they never turn out that great for me.

Finally, I respect Robb Walsh's knowledge of cooking history but find the actual recipe portions of his books to be lacking. No disrespect to those who recommended him, he's just not my cup of tea.
Never heard of him until last night when he was a guest judge on Top Chef
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.