Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Is there an instant pot thread?

7,251 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jtp01
sangria
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
biobioprof said:

AG 07 said:

I am a huge fan of the instant pot as a rice cooker as well. I use mine for soups, beans, chili, rice, and pretty much any time i am feeling like experimenting with a one pot meal.
I don't get using it as a rice cooker. If you use it for something you would serve with rice then you still need a rice cooker, right?

And chep rice cookers work pretty well.
The magic for me is that you can do pot-in-pot cooking with IPs using steamer baskets, stainless steel bowls, and springform pans. Essentially, you can cook multiple meal components at the same time.

I made a Butter Chicken recipe recently where I started my sauce in the IP, added the chicken thighs, then nestled a stainless steel bowl with my uncooked rice and liquid on top of the thighs. Everything cooked for 10 minutes, I turned it off and let it rest for 10 minutes. We were eating shortly thereafter. Can't beat that for a quick and tasty meal with very little hands-on time.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Thanks to this i broke out my pressure cooker that I bought on another night of 8 hours of acct

Used it Once then the next day the Boston marathon pressure cooker bombing made me sick to my stomach

The da!n thing is an instapot that has been relabeled

It makes amazing rice
BEaggie08
AG
Tx-Ag2010 said:

I've been cooking with mine for the last week or so and while it is definitely a good multi use device. I'm not sure it will replace my pressure cooker though. I've gotten repeated "burn" error messages even when I have plenty of thin liquid and there is no actual burning... I end up having to make the recipe with a ton of extra water and then reduce it to get the gravy to the right consistency.

This is a common problem with the Ultra unfortunately. You need to return it. A larger number of them have issues. Get a Duo 60. They're much more reliable/consistent.
rlb28
AG
takes 10-20 minutes to pressure up and another 20-30 minutes to cook and 5 minutes to de-pressurize. I can do a lot of damage on the stove using my square As Seen On TV Copper Chef pot in 45 minutes. Don't get me wrong I like the fact that I don't have to stir and watch, etc.., but IMO it isn't the greatest.
jtp01
AG
I got one for Christmas. So far my favorite is carne guisada. It was super simple and required virtually zero babysitting.

I've done all manner of dishes in mine. Although my only "fail" was rice. I have a pretty solid system down for stovetop and quite honestly it's just as fast as the instant pot.

We've done chicken and pork and beef from frozen and all seems pretty good. It works great for our family especially on weekdays when we are running all over to cello, piano, baseball, therapy, church etc. it's really nice to come in to a hot meal, especially in the winter.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.