Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

FIDO's Plant Based Recipe Thread

6,350 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by austinag1997
FIDO*98*
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Poblano Corn Chowder

3/4 cup raw cashews - soaked 8 hours or simmered 10 mins
1 14oz can organic creamed corn

Drain cashews and add to a high power blended such as a Vitamix along with corn. Pure at highest speed for at least a minute until smooth. Set aside

Roast and chop a poblano and red pepper - set aside

2 large cloves garlic
1 small Yellow Onion
2 sticks of Celery
2carrots

Pulse a few times in a food processor until the size you like.

Take a big soup pot and sautee vegetables and peppers until tender in about 1/4 cup olive oil. When tender add in a quart of vegetable stock along with

1 medium Potato, peeled and diced
3 ears of Corn, shucked

Cover pot and simmer until potatoes are tender. About 10 minutes

Season with Salt & Pepper, to taste

Blend in reserved cashew-corn cream and simmer about 1 additional minute

Serve with chopped cilantro, diced avocado, diced tomato, & tortilla strips if desired.

This Chowder was the real deal. So delicious, in fact, it inspired me to start this thread. Easily as good as anything I ever made in the past with milk, cream, and roux

Beckdiesel03
AG
I've noticed you've posted some vegan or vegetarian things lately and was wondering if this was a health/diet change, just a fad? . Not being critical was just curious. Def gonna give this a try.
FIDO*98*
AG
Graze Blaze

Cast iron pot heat up 1/4 cup avocado oil.

Into a food processor: 1 medium onion, 3 cloves garlic, 1 roasted and peeled poblano, 1 ripe jalapeno, 1 green jalapeno. Pulsed a few times to 1/2" dice. Removed half and began sauteing. Ran the food processor until veggies were pretty small then added to the pot.

When veggies are tender add

1 can black beans - rinsed
1 can small red beans - rinsed
1 14oz can crushed fire roasted tomatoes
1 quart veggie stock

Season with salt, pepper, ancho powder, gebhardt chile powder, cumin, and punch of oregano

Last add 1 cup instant dried refried beans. This is what gives it body like a real Chili. Simmer until thick.

HTownAg98
This raw Brussels sprouts salad is outstanding. The only issue is that unless you have a really sharp mandolin, you need to slice the sprouts by hand to get them thin enough. Slicing two pounds of Brussels sprouts by hand (I doubled the recipe) is pretty damn tedious, so buy the biggest sprouts you can find. Most food processor blades are too thick, and this recipe won't work as well with thick slices.
https://whatsgabycooking.com/shredded-brussels-sprouts-salad/
FIDO*98*
AG
Edited to not derail from recipes
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Fido has gone over to the dark side. Can the apocalypse be far behind......

Actually, good for you if it makes you feel better.
K2T2
Both of those recipes sound great, and I look forward to seeing this thread grow! Is it a recipes by Fido thing, or do you want others to contribute their tried and true plant-based recipes?
AggieOO
$1000 on airrosti? your insurance doesn't cover it? It's a $20 co-pay with our insurance.

as far as the diet, whatever works for you...hopefully it does. As an ultra-runner, I have friends who are vegan and vegetarian. I also have friends who are staunch meat-eaters. I know plenty of both that are healthy and plenty of both that fight different ailments.

A healthy diet is always a good thing, but I'm not convinced one healthy diet is better than any other to prevent injury.

FIDO*98*
AG
I've been messing with different meatless taco fillings and finally got it dialed in to where I really like it. It may sound cliche, but, you don't have to be a vegetarian to really enjoy these. This would make a good empanada or enchilada filling as well. This recipe made about 2c filling which was enough for 8 tacos.

1/2 C Walnuts
1 C Black Beans, divided
1/2 C Cooked Lentils
1/2 C Cooked Red Quinoa
1/2 Red onion, diced
1/2 Red pepper, roasted and diced
1/4 c roasted hatch green chiles
1 Clove garlic

About a tap each: Salt, pepper, cumin, Mexican oregano, Chile powder

In a food processor, grind walnuts down to a rough chop. Add in 1/2c black beans, cooked Lentils, Red Pepper, Chiles, and Garlic (green chiles were late for the picture)

****EDIT**** I now give the onions and pepper a quick cook in a saute pan to get a little browning and take some of the bite out

Pulse a few times until it hits a chunky paste consistently.

Transfer to a mixing bowl and add in Quinoa and remaining black beans. Mix well and adjust seasonings if necessary.

Heat a Tbls oil in a non-stick pan until smoking and add taco filling. Cook until you see some browning appear.

Build your taco to whatever suits your tastes

SpiderDude
AG
FIDO*98*
AG
I adapted this recipe from the Engine 2 Diet brand Organic Moroccan Stew sold at Whole Foods. It's not bad for a boxed soup, but, a quick review of the ingredients showed me it would be no problem to make from scratch. I make it in the InstantPot so it's quick and easy for a weeknight meal. Makes about 4 16oz servings

Ingredients:

3/4 C French Lentils
1 can Garbanzo beans, strained and liquid reserved
1 can Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
14 oz Veggie Stock
1 Medium Onion, peeled and chunked
1 Medium Sweet Potato
1 Large Carrot or 2 Medium, peeled and chunked
1 Lemon, juiced and strained
2 Cloves Garlic
1" Cube fresh Ginger

1 tsp each - Salt, Pepper, Paprika
1/2 tsp each - Ginger, Allspice, Coriander, Cinnamon
1/4 tsp red pepper

First toss the sweet potato in the microwave for 5 minutes

Add Garlic and Ginger to the food processor and chop finely
Add Onion and Carrot and pulse until you like it

Set aside the Garbanzos and Sweet Potato

Add everything else to the InstantPot and set for 4 minutes. Mash the sweet potato
Allow pressure to release naturally

When the pot will open, stir in the garbanzos and mashed sweet potato. If it's too thick, thin down with the reserve garbanzo liquid. Adjust salt if desired

Garnish with chopped Peanuts and Cilantro.

If you're not concerned with calories, you can replace 6-8oz of the veggie stock with Coconut milk for a richer dish. Its also great with a spoon full of peanut butter stirred in.

FIDO*98*
AG
Got an Instant Pot and a Trader Joe's nearby? Here's a healthy dinner that comes together in less than 5 minutes.

Dump into an Instant Pot:

3-Cups veggie broth
1-Cup Italian Farro
1-Contains Mirepoix
1-15.5oz can fire roasted tomatoes
About 6 basil leaves, torn
2 cloves garlic, pressed or finely diced
1-Tsp salt, oregano, ground fennel, and pepper
Optional: red pepper flakes
Also Optional: saute veggies in Olive Oil first. Tastes better for sure, but, adds time and calories

Set to high pressure for 4 mins. Allow for 15mins natural pressure release

Add 2 cans Trader Joe's Giant Beans and bring to a simmer for 1 additional minute. Adjust salt, it will likely need a little more.

GAC06
AG
That looks good. Would look better with real stock and maybe some pancetta
GAC06
AG
Just did the Trader Joe's soup except started by browning diced pancetta, then added the mirepoix, added mushrooms and used chicken stock instead of veg stock. Not bad at all for a quick meal and a $15 price tag. I don't have an instant pot but even just using the stove it took about half an hour.
FIDO*98*
AG
-If you had homemade Chicken Stock, more power to you. Boxed chicken stock isn't very good. Boxed veggie stock is always better than commercial chicken stock
-What is this Pancetta plant you speak of?
-If the recipe needed mushrooms, I would have added them to the recipe
GAC06
AG
I use homemade stock for stuff like soup. Pancetta is what makes vegetables taste awesome. The mushrooms (and some parmesan) went great
FIDO*98*
AG
I may have to give it a shot next time. Think I'll try something Exotic like Oyster or King mushrooms though.

Last night's dinner: Hearts of Palm and Artichoke "Crab" cakes. I'll have to do them one more time for the exact measurements for a recipe, but, damn they were good

After experimenting with several different recipes, I've settled on this as my favorite

1 Can hearts of palm, rinsed and drained
1/2 Can garbanzo beans rinsed and drained
1/2C plain breadcrumbs.
1/4C vegan Mayo (I use Plant Perfect. Just Mayo was the best, but, can't find it now)
1 Tsp Dijon
1 Tsp Furikake flakes
1 Tsp Old Bay
1/2 Tsp pepper
1/2 Lemon, juice and strain
Few shakes Worcestershire

You can also add in a couple Tbls parsley, red bell pepper, shallots, or scallions. Unfortunately I had none of the above in the fridge.

Panko or Breadcrumbs for coating and 3 Tbls Avocado oil for frying

Preheat a toaster oven to 350

Combine all ingredients in a food processor and pulse a few times until mixture resembles crab cake.

Form mix into 4 balls (or 2 for sandwich patties or 6-8 for smaller cakes). Dredge with Panko or Breadcrumbs. I prefer Panko, but, happened to be out today.

Heat oil until just smoking and carefully add cakes. Brown on each side for 60-90 seconds on high heat. Careful not to burn

Transfer to a lined toaster pan and cook for about 10 more minutes to warm throughout. I'll often serve these with a Vegan roasted garlic lemon aioli. I'll try to add and update next go round. They are great as is so that's how I served them today.

TheTruthHurtsAg
5 recipes with pictures and a total of 3 Blue Stars. Pour one out for the old FIDO
K2T2
Thanks for all the plant-based stuff! If that person has to have pancetta to make a vegetable taste good, I don't think they know how to cook vegetables.
GAC06
AG
Nobody said that but you, but thanks for the insult
FIDO*98*
AG
Been getting back on track since Turkey day. 26.2 tomorrow so I figured I'd power up with my new favorite Club Sandwich for lunch today. You'll need a mandolin to get the slices right.

Bottom up:

Whole grain bread (thin slice)
Roasted Jalapeno Hummus
Baby Spinach
Roasted Beets sliced on 2
Julienned carrots on 2
Bread Slice
Smashed Avocado
Radishes on 1
Cucumbers on 1
Granny Smith on 2
Just Mayo
Bread Slice

Beckdiesel03
AG
That looks amazing. I really need to put a mandolin above the black stone griddle for Christmas list
FIDO*98*
AG
Beckdiesel03 said:

That looks amazing. I really need to put a mandolin above the black stone griddle for Christmas list

I've got a fancy expensive French Mandoline that sits in the box mos of the time. Here's what I actually use 90% of the time including this sandwich. I got about 4 years out of my previous one. Way easier for simple jobs than my nice one. The sandwich was great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002THQ9JS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Tabasco
AG
Btw, I drew my nephew's girlfriend for Christmas, and they are vegan. That sandwich pic sold me on that mandolin rec, so thanks!
FIDO*98*
AG
Killed it today with some plant Phillies for lunch. These were nothing short of incredible. I'd say easily better than 75% of traditional Philly Cheesesteaks I've ever had.

Started with a base of Crimini, Shallot, and Carrot and pulsed down to small chunks. Seasoned with ground fennel, thyme, black pepper, and salt

Cooked those down until the moisture was gone and added a half cup each of cooked quinoa, ground walnuts, and black beans

Mixed and flipped for a few minutes until I got some good browning then splashed with worchestire and topped with Violife smoked provolone

Once the cheese melted, served it up in a homemade roll with onion and gbp.

FIDO*98*
AG
Here's another great sandwich that anyone will enjoy whether plant based or not. This is my Muffaletta style Maitake-Beet sandwich. Lots of steps with this one, but, well worth the effort.

Started with a Copycat Schlotzky's bread round. The link used 9" pie pans, but, I use 6" cake pans and sub almond milk.

Roasted Garlic-Artichoke mash. 1 head of roasted garlic plus 1 can of artichoke hearts drained, rinsed, tossed with olive oil and roasted at 375 for about 15. Everything goes in a food processor with about 2 Tbls olive oil and pulse to a paste. Season with salt

Roasted Beet. Peel, wrap in foil, and roast at 375 for about an hour. Slice thin on a mandoline. The first time I made this recipe I used golden beets. In my opinion it looked much better and more consistent then the red beets. Will definitely go back to them next time

Maitake Mushroom - 1 head seared in olive oil on a cast iron pan. Seasoned with salt and lots of pepper and cooked with another cast iron pan pressing down on top. When both sides are seared, top with a slice of Violife smoked provolone, remove from heat, and cover pan to melt.

Central Grocery Olive Salad - Can't beat the original. Used about 1/4 cup.

Cut the bread in half and brush with olive oil. Toast on a flat top or in a pan. Spread bottom bread with artichoke spread and then arrange beets on top. Remove mushroom/provolone and place on beets. Take the olive salad and spread on top half of the bread. Bring both halves together and slice in half. Serves 2

austinag1997
AG
How have I not seen this? This stuff looks awesome!!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.